Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Car's sputtering (very strange problem)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:29 AM
toshii is on a distinguished road
Car's sputtering (very strange problem)

So real quick i have a 04 cayenne v6 with 77K on it.

On tuesday i picked up my car from the body shop from getting the bottom lips painted. there was between a quarter tank of gas and empty. so i went ti get gas and i filled it up with the car running (i was in a hurry). i believe i pressed 93 octane but to this day i still am not 100% sure. so put gas in and get in my car and the cars off. i start it up again and then the car starts sputtering idling up and down and dies out again. luckily i live right down the street from the station the basically coasted home. the car just kept dieing out. i would start it and it would go right away then start bogging out. so i thought maybe i put bad gas in it so i got some octane booster and put it in. that helped a little bit but not too much. so my cousin who is a mechanic comes over and says let me try this. so as the car is on and sputtering barley running he gets down and hits the gas take with his hand a couple times. all of a sudden the idle goes back to normal. CRAZY! so i drive it around and it was perfect again. this morning the same thing was happening so i hit the gas tank a couple times and boom idle went back to normal and i was good to go to work lol

Whats your guys opinions?

fuel filter?

fuel pump?

bad gas in the tank still?

Last edited by toshii; 01-27-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:33 AM
ExactlyCake is on a distinguished road
Given the fact you put gas in the tank while the car was running, you could have filled the pump, filter, or lines with air bubbles.

Kind of like the cavitation you'd experience when a pool filter pump has air in it. When he hit the tank with his hand he could of moved some bubbles. Let this tank run thru and then refill.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:38 AM
canberk will become famous soon enough
air in the system, my suggestion is take a trip on the highway and floor it multiple times with sudden braking. Getting the trapped air out is a hard and time consuming job...

Old 01-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Id also like to suggest DryGas additive, its used to pull moisture out of fuel, can also be used to pull air, as the bubbles themselves are comprised mainly of moisture.

It's cheap, in a blue bottle at your local autoparts store.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:00 PM
thanks a lot everyone.

ill pick some of that up after work and try it out.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:01 AM
So after putting in the Dry Gas and driving it for awhile im still getting some sputter but it is a lot better.

It starts up fine and drives. Now when im driving randomly itll just start sputtering. I hit the gas and nothing happens then all of a sudden itll go.

im thinking there might be some bad gas in the tank still. could that cause this issue?

Old 01-31-2011, 09:06 AM
pakundo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by toshii
So after putting in the Dry Gas and driving it for awhile im still getting some sputter but it is a lot better.

It starts up fine and drives. Now when im driving randomly itll just start sputtering. I hit the gas and nothing happens then all of a sudden itll go.

im thinking there might be some bad gas in the tank still. could that cause this issue?

My take on this..
sensor on the gas pedal...acceleronometer/TP sensor (its called)...symptoms is like..you step on the gas and nothing happens and all of a sudden it will accelerate..its a very delayed reaction.....is this what you are experiencing??.cheers!!!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by pakundo
My take on this..
sensor on the gas pedal...acceleronometer/TP sensor (its called)...symptoms is like..you step on the gas and nothing happens and all of a sudden it will accelerate..its a very delayed reaction.....is this what you are experiencing??.cheers!!!

Yes this is what i have been experiencing the past 2 days. sometimes it drives perfect and sometimes not.

it surely has improved fromt the beginning of last week though thats for sure.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:27 AM
try this...engine off key off(no key) keep playing with the gas pedal by pressing and depressing it couple of times......i dont know how it is on these cayennes but the on the MBenz its a complete gas pedal replacement(gas pedal and sensors)...its not that expensive ..i hope! cheers!!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:00 AM
so wierd...

so i went to the hardware store about 4 miles away. was sputtering and acting up about half the way there.

get out of the store turn on the car idles for a couple secs then dies out. start it again and as soon as it starts i hit the cas tank with my hand twice and then it idles fine.

drove back to work perfectly....

im lost for words

Old 01-31-2011, 10:05 AM
As computer heavy as these cars are, i would venture to guess that a bad TPS sensor would trip the ECM and throw a code. i am still going to go with either bad gas or water/air bubbles in the lines.
You could also have the fuel pump making its way to the end of its life. there could be a connection going bad somewhere, seems like when you smack it with our had your "resetting" the connection. i know this may sound odd at this point, but check the straps/bolts holding the tank to the car, you could have a grounding problem. either the pump is having power problems or grounding problems.

Electrical is always a nightmare- pray that its just bubbles.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:16 AM
IDEA-
This may unveil one of two things.
i dont know if you have these in Chitown. and it may seem a little crazy.
Drive down the highway and run over the rumble strip on the side of the road... one of two things should happen...
1- your car should start to sputter because the bubbles are being agitated out of the lines. (it takes VERY little air or water to cause misfires)
2- your car will start acting up if the shaking causes the connections to come loose.
as soon as the car acts up id, get under there and smack the taste out of the tank, if it goes back to normal, id go with electrical over bubbles.

let me know!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:22 AM
it will not throw a code right away...but keep driving it and it will(soft code)...cheers!!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. i will try this out on my way home today. i wil let u know what happens.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by pakundo
it will not throw a code right away...but keep driving it and it will(soft code)...cheers!!
his first post was on the 27th.. that's almost a week ago, id understand if it were today, but a week to throw a code?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car's sputtering (very strange problem)