Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Black headlight & instrument dial, where to get them?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 AM
loveivs is on a distinguished road
Black headlight & instrument dial, where to get them?

I did some homework before posting. There was one thread discussing the black housing headlight on the exclusive GTS. Someone has done some kind of mod to blacken the headlight housing. but the photo links are dead. Can anyone confirmed “the mod” is done?
The genuine porsche black headlight is around $2k, anyone happen to know which place sell it cheap?

About the instrument dial, anyone know how can I change the colour of the face without replacing the whole unit? I was told by dealer SM, the face cannot be painted. I am getting board with the black instrument dial.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:19 AM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by loveivs
I did some homework before posting. There was one thread discussing the black housing headlight on the exclusive GTS. Someone has done some kind of mod to blacken the headlight housing. but the photo links are dead. Can anyone confirmed “the mod” is done?
The genuine porsche black headlight is around $2k, anyone happen to know which place sell it cheap?

About the instrument dial, anyone know how can I change the colour of the face without replacing the whole unit? I was told by dealer SM, the face cannot be painted. I am getting board with the black instrument dial.

I did my cayennes gauages TWICE - The first time with $50 stickers, which were easy, and the second time with a proper 1 piece foil from USSPEEDO (http://www.usspeedo.com/)

Click on the "Me peppa" link in my sig and you can find the project. Its a pain in the A, but the results are worth it. BTW - you will need crazy glue as the needles on a cayenne are 3 pieces per needle and they fall apart when you pull them off.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:06 AM
Wortman11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Black headlight bucket (single light), making it seem to me it was either a Superglide or Superglide Custom or a Streetbob. Had some extra "black" to it, like the handlebars and risers, plus had wire spoke wheels with bright spokes but black rims. Handlebars were very low, which I like. Not like flat bars but low bars.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by roxboxxx
I did my cayennes gauages TWICE - The first time with $50 stickers, which were easy, and the second time with a proper 1 piece foil from USSPEEDO (http://www.usspeedo.com/)

Click on the "Me peppa" link in my sig and you can find the project. Its a pain in the A, but the results are worth it. BTW - you will need crazy glue as the needles on a cayenne are 3 pieces per needle and they fall apart when you pull them off.
Hey, ROXBOXXXXXX

Your thread is of coz included in my homework
"$50 mod" involve a lot of DIM skill, I am afraid I may not be capable. Especially when super glue need to be used.

I found a "instrument cluster" picture on SpeedART product catalog. It looks like a piece of "paper" to me, not even a sticker. How could that "paper" be glued on the instrument unit?? No idea if I will need to do the same, as what you've done with the red overlays.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-02-03 at 6.06.35 PM.png
Views:	90
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	143265  
Old 02-07-2011, 07:45 AM
FastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by loveivs

I have always used the oven bake method for blacking out headlights but I've heard the Cayenne headlights don't work quite that easy. Give it a shot and let me know. Set your oven to a really low setting like 220 degrees and put it in there for about 20 minutes. Take it out and try to pry the clear peice apart. It may take a few tries to get it off due to the adhesive. After your done rebake the housing and stick it back together.

Here is how it came out on my WRX.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:59 AM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Wortman - I'm still laughing - What the H did you mean? Handlebars???? -

Love - There are 2 kinds:

1. The foil ovelay (like what I have now): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Cayenne-Gauge-Face-Turbo-White-Silver-Red-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aCayenneQQhashZitem 563797fb3aQQitemZ370299894586QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fT ruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It's actually the same as the standard Porsche foil - its made out of flexible plastic. This kind requires you to pull all needles off (super-glue needed!).

2. Stickers - I actually have a extra red set at home. The first set the company sent me were no good so they replaced them with a proper set. By the time they replaced them, I already had the new foil. This requires no needles to be removed. You need only to remove the pod, unscrew the front, and then apply the overlay stickers.

Here is a link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-2009-Porsche-Cayenne-White-Face-Gauges-03-09-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e0087c40QQitemZ36024 0938048QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Hope this helps.

Last edited by roxboxxx; 02-07-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:20 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Wortman11
Black headlight bucket (single light), making it seem to me it was either a Superglide or Superglide Custom or a Streetbob. Had some extra "black" to it, like the handlebars and risers, plus had wire spoke wheels with bright spokes but black rims. Handlebars were very low, which I like. Not like flat bars but low bars.
Still drunk after Supabowl?

Old 02-20-2011, 03:23 AM
Originally Posted by roxboxxx
Wortman - I'm still laughing - What the H did you mean? Handlebars???? -

Love - There are 2 kinds:

1. The foil ovelay (like what I have now): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Cayenne-Gauge-Face-Turbo-White-Silver-Red-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aCayenneQQhashZitem 563797fb3aQQitemZ370299894586QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fT ruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It's actually the same as the standard Porsche foil - its made out of flexible plastic. This kind requires you to pull all needles off (super-glue needed!).

2. Stickers - I actually have a extra red set at home. The first set the company sent me were no good so they replaced them with a proper set. By the time they replaced them, I already had the new foil. This requires no needles to be removed. You need only to remove the pod, unscrew the front, and then apply the overlay stickers.

Here is a link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-2009-Porsche-Cayenne-White-Face-Gauges-03-09-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e0087c40QQitemZ36024 0938048QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Hope this helps.
Foil overlay seems to be the better deal.

I found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAYEN...#ht_500wt_1182

made of stainless steel, cost is $625.
Roxboxxxx, your eBay link offers a better price with $299. Now I need to contact the seller, ask if they do KM display. =)

Old 02-20-2011, 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by FastHackem
I have always used the oven bake method for blacking out headlights but I've heard the Cayenne headlights don't work quite that easy. Give it a shot and let me know. Set your oven to a really low setting like 220 degrees and put it in there for about 20 minutes. Take it out and try to pry the clear peice apart. It may take a few tries to get it off due to the adhesive. After your done rebake the housing and stick it back together.

Here is how it came out on my WRX.
Hi FastHackem,
Thank you for the advice. But the method you used to smoke the housing sounds bit complicated and hard to complete (FOR ME, lol). I think I will buy a new set from Suncoast Porsche, they have black headlight for sell. (Insurance will cover half cost, so it's not that bad.)