Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne V6 and Turbo (Warning: Long Post)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:44 PM
mikezlee is on a distinguished road
Talking Cayenne V6 and Turbo (Warning: Long Post)

Hello Everyone, I wanted to formally introduce myself to the forums. My name is Mike and I’m a die-hard Cayenne fan. I've been lurking the forums for about 3 years and grateful for all the information that I’ve gathered here. Your posts have greatly influenced my decisions as far as mods and the next steps for my car. I hope to contribute more, and will start another thread that will cover DIY for all exterior lighting of the 957 Cayenne. For now, I will post pics and stories of my babies.

I started out with a brand new 2008 Cayenne V6 as my first Porsche. I’m not quite ballin’ as most of the guys here, so my project was to become a poor man’s Cayenne Turbo. I purchased the car bare bones, and started adding my own touches. I already had the Turbo wheels, so first was painting my calipers red. Next, I installed 6000K HIDs for low beams and fog lights. The HID fog lights are a must for looks and practicality. Next was the Turbo bumper, so I got in touch with Ric at Suncoast, and he put together a nice package for me. Suncoast by the way, has the best customer service, and I won’t hesitate to buy from them again and again.

I now had the whole kit to convert my base bumper to the more aggressive turbo bumper. I love the look of OEM, so I also ordered the side skirts and wheel arches. Lastly, for the snowboard trips, I installed the Roof Rails, X-bar, and the ski rack. For the interior, got the rubber mats to replace the carpets and trunk for the winter. I even got the aluminum pedal sets.

For the electronics, I replaced the crappy stock radio with the Alpine IVA-W505. The sound improvement was amazing, and now I had Navigation, iPod, USB, and Bluetooth Phone Interface. Navigation User Interface was OK, but everything else about the unit was top notch, in terms of graphics and usability. I even purchased the $400 Soundgate CANPulse4 for the steering wheel controls, just for the silly track up and down functionality(wasn’t worth it). For performance mods, I was waiting for the warranty to run out but had my list ready. Techart exhaust, Fabspeed pipes, ECU, Evoms Intake, Techart lowering module… I was ready to go.

My Cayenne was just waiting for the Spring season to fully transform into the poor man’s Turbo. All exterior kits were to be painted and installed for Summertime pimping. I enjoyed and loved my Cayenne for about six months, even if there were random lurching when I was accelerating. Didn’t think too much about it, as I thought my car was only learning my driving habits. I don’t want to get into the details, but I ended up bringing the car into the shop multiple times, and eventually, I got rid of it. It was a disappointing end to my love affair, and I ended up ripping out all my mods, and getting stuck with a bunch of exterior kits that were never installed. I can’t find pics of the V6 with the mods, but here are the early days when I had it.

Name:  IMG_0155.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  147.6 KB Name:  IMG_0172.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  130.5 KB

Fast forward one year later, and I’m shopping for my next Cayenne. Having experienced and knowing exactly what I didn’t like about the first Cayenne, I started my search with a wanted list: 2009+, Air Suspension, PDCC, Navigation, Bose, HID, parking sensors, Pano roof, ipod, Bluetooth, rear camera, XM, 21 wheels, low mileage. For my price range, I could only get a decent GTS. Additionally, PDCC was a must. Therefore, I ended up looking at 2008, and was able to snag a CPO Turbo with 25K miles, 21” sport wheels and wheel arches, black exterior, black out package. No pano roof, and crappy ancient PCM with aftermarket iPod and Bluetooth. But most important, it has PDCC. Interior is two tone black and chestnut brown, and having full leather wrapped around the car is really nice. I will never buy another Porsche unless it has real leather wrapped everywhere. This interior is such a huge improvement versus my first Cayenne.

Of course having the 500HP improvement is the best part. I felt unsafe the first few days that I drove it. I didn't know how to handle all that power The blizzard in the Northeast didn’t help either. I’m sure the salesman’s heart skipped a few beats as I accelerated and slid into icy turns with summer tires during the test drive(Sorry Marc from Town Porsche).

I’m really looking forward to warmer weather, so I can feel this puppy’s true potential. So far, the only mods are clear corners. I will be changing bulbs to 6000K and the LED bulbs to match. I will post a DIY later about the exterior lighting. Without further ado, here’s pics of my stock 2008 Cayenne Turbo: (Sorry for the grimy settings and crappy cell phone pics. Will bust out the Digital SLR for a proper photo shoot when it gets warmer.)

Name:  WP_000105.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  93.7 KB Name:  WP_000130.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  117.0 KB Name:  WP_000192.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  206.8 KB

Future mods after warranty runs out will be either a Kenwood unit(built-in Garmin Nav is best) or a retrofit of the 2009 PCM (gulp!). I'm still debating over the Techart DRL and Techart Aerokit 1. Performance mods will include Turbo S parts, Techart exhaust, Fabspeed pipes, Turbo S ECU Flash, IPD Plenum, Evoms Intake, and Techart lowering module. Hope you enjoyed my first long post, and feel free to ask me anything about V6 and Turbo differences, as well as the pains I suffered installing the mods.

- Mike

Last edited by mikezlee; 02-27-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:09 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Duuuuuude....sweeeeeeeet....

Old 02-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks duuuude! BTW, enjoy your Tourist delivery for the 2011.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:49 PM
theprezzz77 is on a distinguished road
Do you have any of the parts left that you removed from the 08 V6 that you originally had?? Willing to purchase a couple things if they are available.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:51 PM
AppleChilli will become famous soon enough
Living the dream!

Everytime I see the GTS it's like the first time everytime. Love the GTS!

Sounds like you have some good plans for her; cannot wait to see what you may have in store. Enjoy safely and in good health my friend!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by theprezzz77
Do you have any of the parts left that you removed from the 08 V6 that you originally had?? Willing to purchase a couple things if they are available.
I don't want this thread to become a for sale thread, and we both can't send PMs so email me: mikezlee at gmail dot com

Old 02-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by AppleChilli
Living the dream!

Everytime I see the GTS it's like the first time everytime. Love the GTS!

Sounds like you have some good plans for her; cannot wait to see what you may have in store. Enjoy safely and in good health my friend!
Thanks AppleChilli! I ended up with the Cayenne Turbo, but my eye was on the GTS first. Please post pics once you get your 2011. Your build specs look amazing.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the props!

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you out with in the future...

PS: The truck looks great!!!

ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 02-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by SuncoastRyan
Thanks for the props!

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you out with in the future...

PS: The truck looks great!!!
Always a pleasure! Please say hello to the Suncoast team.