Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Advice on How to Deal with Dealership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:30 PM
slx88 is on a distinguished road
HELP! With Terrible Dealership Experience so Far

New member here.

Having issues with Porsche dealer. Ordered a 2011 Cayenne S through it's BMW dealer in the same auto group back in NOV 2010.

ORDERED With following specs:
White Sand exterior
Black interior Standard
14-Way power Seats with memory package
Three Spoke Sports Steering wheel with Paddles
Extended Range Fuel Tank
8-Speed Tiptronic S inclusive Auto Stop Start
Convenience Package
Heated front seats
Roof Rails and moldings in aluminum finish
Park assist front and rear
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
19" Cayenne Design II wheel
Wheel Hub cover with colored porsche crest
Bose Surround sound system (Not Package)

Car arrived in Maryland 2 weeks ago. Issue is that the contract specs do not match the specs of the car that has arrived. The dealer ordered the BOSE PACKAGE instead of system, even though I explicitly said SYSTEM and it is on the contract. Furthermore, the car has the Multifunction wheel instead of PADDLE SHIFT. The Auto-stop start and extended range fuel tank are also not listed on the equipment list.
Dealer wants to increase the price because they state that the contract did not include a BOSE package or system at all in the price (thus an increase in $2000+). My contract states Bose System ($1690). (WHY WOULD THE CAR COME WITH SOMETHING THAT WASN'T EVEN IN THE CONTRACT THEN?) I am kind of annoyed about the paddle shifters also (or lack thereof).
So two weeks later, we still have not come to an agreement because the dealer insists on the price increase. I gave an ultimatum that I would not be paying anything other than the negotiated price.
The main issue is that they gave me the best discount originally compared to the two local dealers (about $5000 off MSRP) and I'm afraid I won't be able to get that later.I also realized that if I got the PREMIUM PACKAGE instead of CONVENIENCE PACKAGE I would have saved about a $1000.
SO. Should I accept the car if they agree to the contract price OR should I reorder with a local dealer so that the order can be done to the specs I "actually" ordered?
Will the allocations increase soon so that dealers will be willing to give a larger discount if any? I live on Long Island. I can cope with no Cayenne until August.
SUMMARY: Ordered custom 2011 CS, My contract specs do not match car specs, MSRP increased with mistake, dealer wants to charge more for car because of the MSRP difference. I am unwilling to pay more than contract. KICKER ARE REALLY THE NO COST OPTIONS THAT I REALLY WANTED (PADDLES, EXT. RANGE TANK, AUTO STOP-START)

Last edited by slx88; 02-27-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:02 PM
SecondLease is on a distinguished road
Personally, for the amount of depreciation that occurs with a new Porsche I'd insist on getting exactly what I specified I wanted. Exactly. It's not like they'd take kinda sorta the payment each month, they will want it exact and you have a right to do the same.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:17 PM
slw23 is on a distinguished road
If I'm not mistaken, the extended range tank and auto start/stop features should be standard, no cost options on the CS?

$5k is a good discount, it may be difficult to get that same discount amount on a new order. As it stands, there is only a few hundred difference between the Bose package vs. just the speakers, I'm not sure that would be a deal breaker for me. Additonally, I don't think you should expect the get the Bose for essentially no charge, as it should have been clear for both you and the dealer on your pro-forma invoice that it was missing? Don't mean to sound harsh on this...

Ultimately, you need to be happy with your purchase, as you are spending a good amount and should feel happy with what you have. I think it depends on whether u can live with the MF steering wheel or not. I personally really like the MF wheel on my Cayenne, but then again, I've never used the shifters on any of my past vehicles.

Good luck!

Last edited by slw23; 02-27-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:47 PM
slx88 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice.

@slw23
But the issue is that the contract and all documentation we have dealt with up to the car actually arriving states BOSE SOUND SYSTEM ($1690). The car arrived with the BOSE SOUND PACKAGE ($2160) and a few no-cost things missing.

So my original contract did reflect the cost with the SYSTEM and the $5000 discount. The dealer wants to add about an additional ~$2500 which is not the difference from the SYSTEM to PACKAGE ($470). That is not even the MSRP of the BOSE Package option. (I have no use for XM radio or a 6-Speed CD changer, let alone the standard CD-player).

I chose to order custom in the first place to get specific options and remove useless electronics. If I didn't care for this detail, I could have gotten a CS with more options for cheaper than what I spec'd out.

My irritation is from a combination of the dealer increasing the price illogically, car arriving missing specific options I took the time to pick out (though they were no-cost options), and messing up the order.

I'm sorry; I realize I am venting. But I am waiting to see if the dealer will proceed with giving the contract price before making up my mind. He is essentially reducing the discount by $2000+ which defeats the purpose of my buying from them in the first place.

ALSO, if you do not select Auto-stop-start or the ext. range tank, do they come with the car anyway? I was under the impression there is a standard Tiptronic S with no Stop-start and a regular sized fuel tank. Not to mention, the rear side air bags are not listed which are standard in the 2011 model.

Last edited by slx88; 02-27-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:45 PM
2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough
if it came with tiptronic then it has to have auto stop/start. they don't make a tiptronic that doesn't have it.

did you get a pro forma invoice? it should have all been stated on there based on exactly what you ordered. in any case, if you don't mind waiting then i'd just order from an actual porsche dealership, make sure you get the pro forma invoice so you see everything that's listed on there and speced out correctly.

if you're only get $2k off now, then it's not worth it. plus you're paying an extra $470 for something you've never use, so think of it as only getting $1.5k off now.

the first thing i would do though is really find out if those no cost options don't exist, it doesn't make sense that they dont. extended fuel tank and rear airbags need to be purposely not selected to remove them as they come standard. maybe your dealership is having second thoughts about the discount they wanted to give you

Old 02-28-2011, 12:47 AM
crackberry005 will become famous soon enough
i wouldnt take it. there is a reason why you custom ordered the car and waited so long...and its to get it exactly the way you want. they messed up, and they should right the wrong. dont tell me you waited all this time just to get a car that doesnt 100% satisfy you and you are going to pay for all these options that you didnt want in the first place. that makes no sense. if you dont mind waiting until august, then plz wait. i would hate for them to try to unload a car that that doesnt exactly fit what you want. PLUS, they arent even giving you a discount; they have the nerve to ask you for more money for their mistake. HA! i spit on them.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:00 AM
slw23 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by slx88
Thanks for the advice.

@slw23
But the issue is that the contract and all documentation we have dealt with up to the car actually arriving states BOSE SOUND SYSTEM ($1690). The car arrived with the BOSE SOUND PACKAGE ($2160) and a few no-cost things missing.

So my original contract did reflect the cost with the SYSTEM and the $5000 discount. The dealer wants to add about an additional ~$2500 which is not the difference from the SYSTEM to PACKAGE ($470). That is not even the MSRP of the BOSE Package option. (I have no use for XM radio or a 6-Speed CD changer, let alone the standard CD-player).

I chose to order custom in the first place to get specific options and remove useless electronics. If I didn't care for this detail, I could have gotten a CS with more options for cheaper than what I spec'd out.

My irritation is from a combination of the dealer increasing the price illogically, car arriving missing specific options I took the time to pick out (though they were no-cost options), and messing up the order.

I'm sorry; I realize I am venting. But I am waiting to see if the dealer will proceed with giving the contract price before making up my mind. He is essentially reducing the discount by $2000+ which defeats the purpose of my buying from them in the first place.

ALSO, if you do not select Auto-stop-start or the ext. range tank, do they come with the car anyway? I was under the impression there is a standard Tiptronic S with no Stop-start and a regular sized fuel tank. Not to mention, the rear side air bags are not listed which are standard in the 2011 model.
Sounds messy, sorry to hear. What exactly are they saying the extra $2500 is for then? They definitely seem shady and unfortunately, they get to choose whether they want to honor your deal or not. That said, you are paying the note on the car, therefore you need to be completely satisfied with what you're getting. And I totally understand what you're saying about custom ordering. A lot of us did the same, why settle when you took the time to custom order and wait it out?

AFAIK, the CS the comes standard with the auto start/stop and ext range tank. No choice on these, you cannot have a CS without them. The rear side airbags come standard for builds after Feb 4 (or sometime right around then). You build completion date must have been sometime in Dec or early Jan, therefore you won't get them as a standard option. Just fyi, there also was an increase on the base price of the V6 and CS when they announced the standard rear air bags, maybe they're trying to pass that on to you?

Keep us posted on the outcome, I hope it works out for you.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:06 AM
spinny02 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like they are playing games to make some money back. Your car should come AS you ordered it. If there were changes they should have followed it through production and informed you of the changes, and why.... like many dealers do.

We ordered a 997tt with sport seats/100way (what ever it was) and it came with stock seats. The dealer took a set of seats out of a car on the lot and worked magic to get them to work before we bought the car.

took about a mouth.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:36 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
If it's not what you ordered, then don't get it. Go to a Porsche dealer and order what you'd like and negotiate a good price. At the end, it's not worth settling on a car for a few years that will have a bad taste in your mouth. Life's too short. Wish you the best.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:21 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
When in doubt don't go for it ...walk out ... why would you want to spend money on something that bothers you.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:27 AM
jwat is on a distinguished road
It seems to me that they are not happy with the discount they originally agreed to now that market conditions have improved. I just ordered a Cayenne and finding a discount and build slot was a challenge. You can find a discount out there if you look around. The best I was recently offered was about 5.5% off. I chose to stay with my local dealer as this is my 3rd car from them. PM if you are still looking for a dealer.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:32 AM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
Ultimately it's your money, they can't force you to buy the product that you aren't comfortable with.

Walk away, if you can live w/o this Cayenne on your garage or just take it home if you really want it.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:37 PM
ronl will become famous soon enoughronl will become famous soon enough
Does the original contract and paperwork include a pro forma stating CUSTMR for customer order with your name listed? And is there a reference number starting with 236 or 237. That is your car and you should be entitled to it at the price on the contract, if you still want it.

Seems discounts are evaporating and allocations becoming more difficult to obtain.

If you were free of all obligations and that brand new car was available at a dealer near you today for the price on your contract would you take it?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:10 PM
ozr
ozr is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by slx88
New member here...

SUMMARY: Ordered custom 2011 CS, My contract specs do not match car specs, MSRP increased with mistake, dealer wants to charge more for car because of the MSRP difference. I am unwilling to pay more than contract. KICKER ARE REALLY THE NO COST OPTIONS THAT I REALLY WANTED (PADDLES, EXT. RANGE TANK, AUTO STOP-START)
... $0 option "Sports Steering wheel with Paddles" I would not take any CayenneS without it (if you understand it, like it and specifically wanted it)...

Auto start/stop, extended fuel tank $0 options are standard on all US CayenneSs. Even if you do not want them, they come included by default ($0 cost).

MSRP on a CayenneS went up $700 in January 2011. If you read you dealer sale paperwork, it clearly describes MSRP increase situation. By default dealer is notobligated to "eat" MSRP increase himself. Good dealer may, as a good will, obsorb that price increase and not pass it on to you.

If I were in your situation,... stop useless negotiations with that dealer, take a step back... Ask yourself a question: "DO YOU WANT TO SETTLE FOR THE LACK OF PADDLES?" I know the answer for myself. I love it. I would not settle without it.

I suggest you pass on this car, order a new car to your exact spec at a different Pdealer, verify dealer order (ask for printout from PORSCHE factory order system listing all order codes/options).

...if you settle on a lack of some options you love, you'll suffer for the rest of a car ownership...don't do it.

OZRacing

Last edited by ozr; 02-28-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:50 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
...if you settle on a lack of some options you love, you'll suffer for the rest of a car ownership...don't do it.

OZRacing[/QUOTE]

+1
Soooooo true!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advice on How to Deal with Dealership