Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

"Security Wheel Bolt Adapter"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 03:04 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
"Security Wheel Bolt Adapter"

It would seem I either booted my special Porsche "security wheel bolt adapter" somewhere in my garage or maybe I even pulled the ultimate bonehead move and left it on one of the wheels last time I used it. Either way I can't seem to find anyone or anywhere online that carries them. Seems like this is probably a pretty common thing, I know I'm not the only idiot out there who has lost one.

It looks like this, and yes I know where it normally can be found but I failed to put it back there.......

Any help??

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pg_236_img.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	398512  
Old 08-06-2014, 02:32 AM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Nobody? I can't be the only one to lose this thing?? Called the dealer today and he tried telling me there are about 30 variations and i need to bring it in so they can figure out which one I need. I find that hard to believe. It's a simple friggin socket.

ECS has a whole set of new bolts for $75, I think I'll just order them and figure out how to get the one "special" bolt off each wheel. What a pain!!

Old 08-06-2014, 10:08 AM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jdubbya
Nobody? I can't be the only one to lose this thing?? Called the dealer today and he tried telling me there are about 30 variations and i need to bring it in so they can figure out which one I need. I find that hard to believe. It's a simple friggin socket.

ECS has a whole set of new bolts for $75, I think I'll just order them and figure out how to get the one "special" bolt off each wheel. What a pain!!
Typically what you do is order the new set of 4 with key, then (assuming the new key doesn't match the old locks), go to the dealer and let them use their master key set to remove your old security lugs. Some dealers will let you borrow the key, but usually will require some sort of deposit.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by XR4Tim
Typically what you do is order the new set of 4 with key, then (assuming the new key doesn't match the old locks), go to the dealer and let them use their master key set to remove your old security lugs. Some dealers will let you borrow the key, but usually will require some sort of deposit.

When you say key Tim are you talking about the socket adapter like I posted above or more of an actual key? Are there really different adapter sockets? It seems like it would be a standard pattern but I suppose several different ones would make more sense. Thanks!

Old 08-07-2014, 03:17 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
Yes you will have to order a entire new set I think the last time it was asked and I looked it up it was in the $200-300 range.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:57 AM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
When you say key Tim are you talking about the socket adapter like I posted above or more of an actual key? Are there really different adapter sockets? It seems like it would be a standard pattern but I suppose several different ones would make more sense. Thanks!
"Key" = socket adapter. There really are about 30 different patterns for the security bolt head. The dealer should have a master set in their tool room that they use.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by XR4Tim
"Key" = socket adapter. There really are about 30 different patterns for the security bolt head. The dealer should have a master set in their tool room that they use.
Wow thanks. I will have to figure out what I want to do I guess. But I want to plastidip the wheels black anyway so either way I think I will order the black set from ECS. The dealer said he could get a new key but they need to see it to figure out which one. They are about 50 miles away though. I didnt ask how much either.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:01 AM
Duplicolor makes a kit where you can paint your own wheels any color you want. I also want to say there is a company, maybe the same one, that you can paint them and if you dont like it just peel it off no damage done.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:24 AM
mshimon is on a distinguished road
I'm fairly certain you are looking for the one that Suncoast carries, no?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...9552S_WheelAcc

Old 08-13-2014, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by mshimon
I'm fairly certain you are looking for the one that Suncoast carries, no?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...9552S_WheelAcc

No, that's not it. Different style altogether. Mine is like the picture above. hex male end and special "fluted or splined" (for lack of a better term) female end. The hex end is the same 19mm as the other bolts.

What I did was order a new set of "security" bolts from ECS similar to this and an entire set of new black bolts. http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...olt/ES1499523/ (That's not the correct one for my car but it didn't have a picture, looks similar to this).

If the new one doesn't fit my old ones I'll get a 12 point socket to jam on there enough to get them out and then use the new ones. And I won't lose the new adapter socket again!!

Old 08-13-2014, 09:42 AM
mshimon is on a distinguished road
No, that's not it. Different style altogether. Mine is like the picture above. hex male end and special "fluted or splined" (for lack of a better term) female end. The hex end is the same 19mm as the other bolts.

What I did was order a new set of "security" bolts from ECS similar to this and an entire set of new black bolts. http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...olt/ES1499523/ (That's not the correct one for my car but it didn't have a picture, looks similar to this).

If the new one doesn't fit my old ones I'll get a 12 point socket to jam on there enough to get them out and then use the new ones. And I won't lose the new adapter socket again!!
Upon closer inspection I see what you mean! The one in my toolkit also has the 19mm socket hex for the wrench.

BTW, that ECS security bolt socket looks quite a bit less robust than the Porsche supplied. Thanks for the link, good luck.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by mshimon
Upon closer inspection I see what you mean! The one in my toolkit also has the 19mm socket hex for the wrench.

BTW, that ECS security bolt socket looks quite a bit less robust than the Porsche supplied. Thanks for the link, good luck.
Hmm, looks the same as mine did. It's a Porsche part so it shouldn't really be different. Either way thanks for the well wishes.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:15 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Nobody? I can't be the only one to lose this thing?? Called the dealer today and he tried telling me there are about 30 variations and i need to bring it in so they can figure out which one I need. I find that hard to believe. It's a simple friggin socket. What a pain!!
It's absolutely true. If you want a new one you have to take it in, see which one in the master kit fits, then you can order one from your dealer or online. Get two if you tend to lose things... I guess that ship has sailed.... get two.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Well since I was planning on plasti-dipping my wheels black anyway I bought the black set of bolts from ECS and grabbed the set of "security" bolts while there hoping on the off-chance it would fit mine. No such luck but now I can just use a 12 point 19mm socket and ruin the ones that are on there and I'll have two sets that will work.

Guess no lottery ticket for me tonight since I couldn't even hit 1 in 30 odds

Old 08-19-2014, 03:11 AM
Guess no lottery ticket for me tonight since I couldn't even hit 1 in 30 odds
Still better than 1:million. Did you have any luck in getting them off?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "Security Wheel Bolt Adapter"