Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

957, What to know before buying

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 06:57 PM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
957, What to know before buying

My wife and I are considering buying a 957.

What do we need to know?

It is going to be a daily driver.

Open to the V6, no need for big horsepower.

Coolant issues?

We own a 996.2 now, so we aware of possible issues in m96.

thanks

Old 12-19-2016, 02:30 PM
Porscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud of
Coolant pipes are only a problem for the 955. 957 most of the 955 problems where fixed, I've had two 955's bought both new, the V6 was great, but the V8 makes this truck move. not underpowered at all, a bit nose heavy though. I'd go for the V8, and Plus the way the S looks on the back.... Have to say that was one of the reasons I got rid of the V6 I wanted an S on the back

Old 12-19-2016, 02:48 PM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Porscheman33
Coolant pipes are only a problem for the 955. 957 most of the 955 problems where fixed, I've had two 955's bought both new, the V6 was great, but the V8 makes this truck move. not underpowered at all, a bit nose heavy though. I'd go for the V8, and Plus the way the S looks on the back.... Have to say that was one of the reasons I got rid of the V6 I wanted an S on the back
thank you,
still not sure of all the differences between base and S, other than V8

Old 12-19-2016, 11:09 PM
alpesh26 is on a distinguished road
The v6 doesn't have the coolant pipe issue.

It does suffer from the Cardan shaft issue and gearbox (transmission) valve body issue which is common to all 955/957 regardless of engine.

The hatch struts also fail which means the lid wont stay open, again this is common to all 955/957.

I used to have a 957 v6 base and it had enough power. I had no issues with the engine, just a hard downshift from 4th to 3rd which was the gearbox valve body. It got better after I had the gearbox oil and filter changed.

Hope this helps

Old 12-20-2016, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by alpesh26
The v6 doesn't have the coolant pipe issue.

It does suffer from the Cardan shaft issue and gearbox (transmission) valve body issue which is common to all 955/957 regardless of engine.

The hatch struts also fail which means the lid wont stay open, again this is common to all 955/957.

I used to have a 957 v6 base and it had enough power. I had no issues with the engine, just a hard downshift from 4th to 3rd which was the gearbox valve body. It got better after I had the gearbox oil and filter changed.

Hope this helps
thank you

Old 12-20-2016, 12:14 PM
Porscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud of
One has an S and the other does not

No joke, both are great cars, you cant go wrong. It's really a personal preference. V6 is just as great as the V8

Old 01-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Blubayou is on a distinguished road
The captain obvious between the base and S, S has larger brake rotors, typically different size wheels and there are exceptions to that one, more HP and more torque if you plan on towing and flat out more acceleration. The S is typically 5k more in the used market. The S is worth it if you want shorter stopping distances, more torque for towing and improved acceleration, lastly the V8 sound. Although I have heard some V6's with aftermarket exhaust that sound really good.

Now the question was what to look for, I have replaced the following since I bought my S used with 99k on the clock, now have 115k
Cardan shaft
Rotors and Pads but that's normal wear and tear
Starter
Turn signal switch- my fault

Old 01-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Wamer27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Avoid the air suspension, mine is costing me so much money. My local dealer has around 5 or 6 needing compressors.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.