Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

PCM Base Radio - No Sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 09:37 PM
wthayer is on a distinguished road
PCM Base Radio - No Sound

2011 CS with PCM 3.1 and base radio: for the past few weeks, I'll get no sound out of the speakers after starting the car about half the time. Sometimes there will be a big pop or thud sound out of the speakers and then you get audio the rest of that trip. Sometimes turning the car off, removing the key & back on will restore sound. Sometimes opening and closing the passenger door seems to fix it. I fear this is something like a bad capacitor inside the PCM, but after a bit of research I'm hearing there's a separate amp for the base (non-Bose) PCM radio that can be replaced independent of the PCM unit. Does anyone have any information or experience to share here? I'm holding off on getting my dealer involved until it dies completely, but I did have it in for a separate problem (airbag light due to bad driver door pressure sensor) and they didn't find anything.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:45 AM
Serg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond repute
that info you need? there's an amp, even on base. 90% sure it is a problem unit.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:19 PM
Access to Amp

Thanks for the info Serg124. The amp is located above the right rear wheel well, is that correct? Can anyone give me any tips on how to disassemble the trim to access the amp (I searched - it sounds very involved, but found no step-by-step instructions).

Also, how difficult would it be to replace the amp with a 3rd party unit? I suspect the sound would be better than the base system.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:05 PM
Serg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond repute
non-original amp will need non-original speakers to give better sound. way not cheap... and not all amps will work due to input signal.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:16 PM
Fixed

I eventually lost all sound out of the audio system, but the good news is that I was able to fix it. Here's briefly what I did:

1. Identified the amp for the base + PCM sound system as 95864530202 - lists for about $500
2. Tore apart the right rear interior wheel well trim in the cargo bay to expose the amp.
3. Found a wiring diagram for a Boxster amp made by a company called ASK that matches the Cayenne. Probed the amp inputs and found a faint signal, indicating that the amp was likely the problem.
4. Got really lucky and found this writeup for a 911 that describes the exact same symptoms I was having and explains that the relay is probably the issue: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1234814
5. Ordered V23086-C1001-A403 relay from eBay and swapped it out

Total time: one month. Total cost: $10 ($7 for the relay and $3 for the two plastic rivets I destroyed while taking the trim panel off)

Hope this helps someone, and good luck!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	958 Amp WIring.png
Views:	6064
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	442359  
Old 03-10-2016, 11:34 PM
good info, thanks for sharing!

Old 04-04-2016, 12:51 PM
kredmore is on a distinguished road
My 2012 Cayenne doesn't have any sound coming from some of the stock front speakers (base system, not Bose). Rear and door bottom speakers are fine, all other fronts (dashboard, center, door top) are out. Verified with balance/fade controls, and reset PCM.

Thinking I need to check the amp to see if some channels are out.

wthayer - your summary info posted is great - thank you. Any additional info/pictures for removing the trunk panels for getting to the amp?

Keith

Last edited by kredmore; 04-07-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:48 PM
I should've taken pics of the panel removal, but I didn't.

You want to start with the upper D trim panel - peel back the liftgate seal and pull the trim piece out - it should pop out. On mine there was a little strap that held this trim piece up in the air after I pulled it off - I have no idea why. Then the upper C trim panel at the back of the rear door - the seat belt threads through this. Again, it should just pop out but takes some force. Then remove the passenger side cargo tie down bar on the floor of the cargo area - just take out two torx head bolts under the ties downs and lift it up. You also need to pop out the ribbed chrome trim panel that covers the bottom of the hatch opening - covering the liftgate latch. I didn't take this part out and ended up breaking a little alignment tab on the big wheel well trim piece. I think this piece just pops out but since I didn't remove it, can't say for sure. Finally, there are two big rivets that hold in the wheel well cover - one toward the front and one toward the back. I ended up destroying these to get them out (found new ones at VW dealer for under $2 each). Once these rivets are out, the wheel well cover should come out.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:57 PM
kredmore is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wthayer
I should've taken pics of the panel removal, but I didn't.

You want to start with the upper D trim panel - peel back the liftgate seal and pull the trim piece out - it should pop out. On mine there was a little strap that held this trim piece up in the air after I pulled it off - I have no idea why. Then the upper C trim panel at the back of the rear door - the seat belt threads through this. Again, it should just pop out but takes some force. Then remove the passenger side cargo tie down bar on the floor of the cargo area - just take out two torx head bolts under the ties downs and lift it up. You also need to pop out the ribbed chrome trim panel that covers the bottom of the hatch opening - covering the liftgate latch. I didn't take this part out and ended up breaking a little alignment tab on the big wheel well trim piece. I think this piece just pops out but since I didn't remove it, can't say for sure. Finally, there are two big rivets that hold in the wheel well cover - one toward the front and one toward the back. I ended up destroying these to get them out (found new ones at VW dealer for under $2 each). Once these rivets are out, the wheel well cover should come out.

Hope this helps.
Great - thank you for the details.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:10 PM
lbruckbauer is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm Looking for a used PCM for 2011 Cayenne? Anyone??

Old 03-08-2017, 03:11 PM
95869297300- I believe that this is the part number

Old 03-08-2017, 03:24 PM
Correction part number is 95864297300