Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Is sport plus option worth it on 958.2 GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 03:37 PM
jtorrebl is on a distinguished road
Is sport plus option worth it on 958.2 GTS

I don't have it on my 2016 cayenne gts but am thinking about it. Already have the fabspeed bypass pipes but getting the itch for something new. Anyone with it tell me their thoughts. I already saw the your tube video of it and it looks interesting.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:44 PM
[SS]Shooter will become famous soon enough[SS]Shooter will become famous soon enough
My 2016 GTS has Sport Plus... It's really only a small change from Sport mode, with a more aggressive transmission profile and harder suspension.

If you were tracking the car regularly, and didn't want to shift manually, you'd probably want Sport Plus. It seems to perform very well in holding gears under braking or lateral forces. I find it better to use manual mode on the track... But, at big tracks, like the Nurburgring, most of the test drivers use the automatic mode on cars they are trying to set lap records with... So it must be good.

It's not good for the street, as it keeps the revs in the 3-4K rpm band at all times, and has very crisp downshifts/upshifts, which make it annoying on the street. And the suspension is too hard for the street.

I would say save your money for an ECU tune. There are some systems out now, with more likely coming. The Cobb system seems to be working well for Macan owners, so they might bring that to the Cayenne some day.

Last edited by [SS]Shooter; 12-16-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the feedback. It's not too expensive. Plus it wont give me any warranty issues. We'll see how it goes. I'd like something that holds the rpm's longer than sport mode anyway. Plus I get to get an extra button!

Last edited by jtorrebl; 12-18-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:34 AM
Got it installed yesterday. Cost about $1650 installed. Car now has a beast mode. Very aggressive but fun! Can't drive slow on the streets but holds the refs very high. Turn it on car lowers, engine/exhaust purrs louder and got a sports chrono option in the variable screen on the dash.
Got the extra part of anyone needs it

Old 01-01-2017, 08:00 AM
wkearney99 has a spectacular aura aboutwkearney99 has a spectacular aura about
They must build those console panels individually. I think I've seen a half-dozen variations on how the buttons are laid out. Here's mine. I have the lane assist option where your new panel has moved the start/stop button.

The factory video is also different.

I wonder where everything would be if all buttons were populated?

Attached Images   
Old 01-04-2017, 05:59 PM
Happened to see this one in a '16 on the dealer showroom floor, while I was waiting for my winter tires to be installed.

Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2017, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by wkearney99
Happened to see this one in a '16 on the dealer showroom floor, while I was waiting for my winter tires to be installed.
Base model cayenne?
Fully loaded GTS would be like mine plus lane assist

Old 01-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by jtorrebl
Base model cayenne?
Fully loaded GTS would be like mine plus lane assist
I suspect it was a base model, I didn't get a chance to read the sticker. Just noted the button layout. My GTS has everything but the Sport Chrono package. I have the Lane Assist. It'd be curious to see what several examples of a fully loaded button panel look like. From a discussion I've been having offline I'm led to believe the LIN bus communication from these panels uses commands, not just button/LED bit patterns.

Given the way all of these modules are supposed to interact I'm not sure how readily a system in one car would tolerate a button panel from another. Both because of their being buttons missing for features present, and vice versa, buttons present without the underlying features active in the car's configuration.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:19 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
I suspect it was a base model, I didn't get a chance to read the sticker. Just noted the button layout. My GTS has everything but the Sport Chrono package.
More likely Sport Chrono hasn't been "activated" if you have the dash center clock..

When I added the dash clock to my CTT - it found the computer buss immediately and set the time on itself. But - it didn't light up. So I got out my iCarScan and started poking around. First I found a command to send it that would turn the light on - but it stayed on even when the vehicle went to sleep. That wasn't what I wanted.. so I started digging a bit more - and found a new checkbox marked "Sport-Chrono [ ]" - I checked that off and now the clock illuminated with the rest of the dash. Cool.

Even cooler - in scrolling through the displays on the programmable instrument cluster screen - a sport-chrono stopwatch display now appeared there. It took a few seconds to figure out it's controlled by the steering-wheel buttons (start/stop/reset/lap)..

I also do have the factory dash-center sport chrono unit that goes where the clock is - but didn't really see the utility of it since I was looking for a clock - analog - not a stopwatch. It looks cool, but is less functional. I didn't bother plugging it in..

Anyway - point is - if you have the center dash clock you're likely a checkbox away from having sport-chrono mode.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:52 PM
Hmmm, do you get the yellow launch control message on the MFT? You engage it by sitting at a stop, in gear, REALLY pressing down on the brake, holding it and pressing the accelerator. The MFT will illuminate with a yellow background telling you launch control is active. Then it's a matter of releasing the brake and HOLDING ON.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:18 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Hmmm, do you get the yellow launch control message on the MFT? You engage it by sitting at a stop, in gear, REALLY pressing down on the brake, holding it and pressing the accelerator. The MFT will illuminate with a yellow background telling you launch control is active. Then it's a matter of releasing the brake and HOLDING ON.
Haven't tried it. I guess I might - although with snows on it may not really launch a lot. A bit difficult to find a good place to try it in NJ.. and of course launch might not be the easiest thing on the transfer case. I guess I can go look for it - and just not launch it if I find it.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:19 AM
I haven't tried it yet but I heard cayennes don't have launch control since they don't have pdk transmissions.
Never mind an quick your tune search shows otherwise

Last edited by jtorrebl; 01-06-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by jtorrebl
I haven't tried it yet but I heard cayennes don't have launch control since they don't have pdk transmissions.
Never mind an quick your tune search shows otherwise
No problem.

I used it in a Turbo S on the PECATL track. It was pretty simple to initiate. HOLD the brake pedal down, HARD. Fully apply the throttle and the MFT switched to a yellow background, with text indicating launch control (performance start?) was active. Release the brake while keeping the accelerator mashed and OFF YOU GO! I'd think you could cancel it just by letting off the throttle, and then the brake. As you can imagine, canceling it wasn't going to be part of track time that day!

The one thing that might be required, however, is being in Sport+ mode. I'd imagine I was already in that mode, but I don't know if Launch Control requires it being present or not.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:03 PM
[SS]Shooter will become famous soon enough[SS]Shooter will become famous soon enough
Really, the 'Performance Start' on the Cayenne is just powerbraking the car (like on a '69 Charger).

You simply stop on the brake, take the revs up to the converter stall speed, and release the brake. Yes, if you are in Sport Plus, and do it right, it says 'PERFORMANCE START ACTIVATED' or something like that. But, I don't think it does anything different than if you don't have Sport Plus.

I don't see it really doing anything different than when I've powerbraked ANY car ever.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by [SS]Shooter
Really, the 'Performance Start' on the Cayenne is just powerbraking the car (like on a '69 Charger).

You simply stop on the brake, take the revs up to the converter stall speed, and release the brake. Yes, if you are in Sport Plus, and do it right, it says 'PERFORMANCE START ACTIVATED' or something like that. But, I don't think it does anything different than if you don't have Sport Plus.

I don't see it really doing anything different than when I've powerbraked ANY car ever.
"Sport-Plus" may have to do with the ability to do this. On my '06 CS/**** - you couldn't rev the engine if the brake was applied. I suspect this was a response to the unintended acceleration problems Toyota was having. You could press the pedal all you wanted - and no response from the electronic throttle.

I did briefly try it today on my '11 CTT - not pressing the pedal far enough to see if anything lit up or displayed - but on the CTT - the engine does respond to the fun pedal if the brake is depressed - unlike the '06.

Whatever - I don't see me doing it since I don't like winding up a driveline that's as expensive to fix as a Cayenne one is.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.