Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

Researching Cayenne for potential purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 11:00 PM
goose_b is on a distinguished road
Researching Cayenne for potential purchase

Doing research to hopefully upgrade my 2005 Landcruiser turbo diesel to a 957 Cayenne Turbo. I have read through a HUGE amount of threads on here and gained some very useful information, but I have a couple of questions I can't seem to find definitive answers to.

1. Spare tyre. The 957 Turbo seems to come with a 19" collapsible spare. Is it possible to fit a full size spare in the spare location? Obviously this requires removing the subwoofer, (no probs with that), and I read some have a 2nd battery there. With the remoteness of Australia, a space saver type is not acceptable.

2. Does the 957 Turbo have different offset wheels front & rear? As per first question, to have 4 wheels identical, and hopefully a spare the same as well, makes everything a whole lot easier. From what I have read a 5mm spacer on the rear means the wheels can be rotated front and rear. Ideally I will have 20x10" wheels with approx 50mm offset all round (hopefully a 20" fits into the spare location!)

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:45 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
My '09 957 Turbo S has all 4 wheels the same - 21"x10" ET 50 with 295/35-21 tires. It has 1 battery under the driver's seat only with nothing in the rear.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:38 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
1. No. A real size tire won't fit in the recess. That's why there is a space-saver one.

2. ALL Cayenne's I know of use a "square" setup - ie - same rims/tires on all 4 wheels.

3. Porsche DID make a rear mount for a full size spare that hung it off the back of the truck. I believe is was a rarely chosen option. It might be possible to retrofit that to a used vehicle. Might have been a TransSiberia option.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:42 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
I've heard of a model or 2 from a year or 2 that had a staggered setup - maybe a GTS from one year only or something like that.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:50 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Petza914
I've heard of a model or 2 from a year or 2 that had a staggered setup - maybe a GTS from one year only or something like that.
Could be. I've never paid a lot of attention to the GTS since it makes no sense to me.. (pay turbo price for a non-turbo.. why?)

Old 10-28-2016, 08:41 PM
goose_b is on a distinguished road
Thankyou for your responses. If a full size spare cannot fit into the spare location, does anyone know the largest size it is possible to fit? When travelling the outback of Australia, it can be many hundred kilometres to the nearest town, and the chance of them stocking a 19" or 20" tyre is very small. However, I think in the situations I will be travelling that far, a roof rack with spare up top will be the solution.

With regard to the staggered offset, I had read about some Cayenne having ET 50 or 55 rear and ET 60 front, but you are correct, it probably was referring to the GTS.

It seems I have narrowed my choice to the Cayenne due the low range transmission, air suspension for ground clearance, and larger fuel capacity over the X5 or X5M (85 L vs. Cayenne 100L). I do not like the appearance of the dash and interior of the Touareg, and the Q7 has 7 seats which is a big advantage, but no turbo v8 is a negative, and the extra weight over the Cayenne.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:42 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Petza914
GTS is square all around too.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Fkim011
GTS is square all around too.
IMHO - there is no real advantage to a non-square configuration when you have full time 4WD.. the reason to do it is to maximize traction on a rear-wheel-drive vehicle. And it looks neat.