Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Looking to Daily Drive a GTR. Looking for pros/cons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:26 AM
emerica4601 is on a distinguished road
Looking to Daily Drive a GTR. Looking for pros/cons

What's up guys -

I have been a supercar fan and owner for many years now. I generally lean towards luxury and comfort with it comes to a daily driver ... but also want a little bit of power. I have several vehicles, but wanted to narrow them all down to just two cars. My daily driver, and my Sunday car. I could never see myself selling my sunday car for a GTR, because a GTR is not a true drivers car (in my opinion). I like my weekend car to be RAW. My previous Z06 was a true drivers car ... and was sort-of raw. My current viper is exactly what I look for in a weekend car. It is raw, turns heads, and is fun to drive ... but only for a certain period of time. If anything, I would upgrade this to a, 08 8.4L viper in the future.

I'm looking to daily drive a GTR because it meets all the aspects of a car enthusiasts needs and seems to be great year round. Here are the pros I see ...

- AWD
- room for 4
- has a trunk that has enough room to fit more than a coffee pot
- comfortable
- easy to drive

Could I get some input from some fellow GTR owners?

Thank you in advance!
Joe

Old 11-03-2014, 07:37 AM
emerica4601 is on a distinguished road
just found and read the thread by ryem3. What a good writeup! Actually answered a lot of the questions I had.

If there are any other users with input, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Old 11-03-2014, 08:17 PM
mlambert890 is on a distinguished road
Well IMO the GTR is absolutely a drivers car and is pretty raw, but this is a super subjective definition that differs for everyone.

I don't see the GTR as a good daily driver. It has pretty limited clearance and a difficult approach angle, the backseats are there, but they're closer to 911 legroom than M3 (for example) and the maintenance on the car is fairly steep. In addition the ride is harsh, the car is loud, and it doesnt like being driven at low speed.

To me AMG/M/RS/RC-F/etc are much more daily drivers than a GTR.

The GTR is great for people who *do* find it a drivers car, because it *can* be used as a daily, but *as a daily* I think it's a bad choice.

Hope that makes some sense.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:15 AM
Myclue is a jewel in the roughMyclue is a jewel in the roughMyclue is a jewel in the roughMyclue is a jewel in the rough
I'm in th esame boat. Thanks for your opinion mlambert890

Old 11-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Twelvz is just really niceTwelvz is just really niceTwelvz is just really niceTwelvz is just really niceTwelvz is just really nice
Room for 4? Lol-No. One little kid or an adult straddling the back but no way unless you and all your people are about 4'10.
The Z06 and Viper are definitely raw compared to the GT-R, the GT-R is way beyond either for comfort and quality, the delivery of power is a lot smoother and the car is more stable than those as well. Catless exhaust/tune and VDC off the car gets pretty nasty but of course still not as raw as those other platforms.
The trunk is huge...very nice. And yes if you'd like you can just start the car and drive it in auto if you're in traffic and don't want to bother.
My wife drives mine and she has no idea that it's a monster when I turn up the boost and tweak all the settings...then it scares the hell out of my friends on the track.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:02 AM
PikesPeakRacing is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by emerica4601
What's up guys -

I have been a supercar fan and owner for many years now. I generally lean towards luxury and comfort with it comes to a daily driver ... but also want a little bit of power. I have several vehicles, but wanted to narrow them all down to just two cars. My daily driver, and my Sunday car. I could never see myself selling my sunday car for a GTR, because a GTR is not a true drivers car (in my opinion). I like my weekend car to be RAW. My previous Z06 was a true drivers car ... and was sort-of raw. My current viper is exactly what I look for in a weekend car. It is raw, turns heads, and is fun to drive ... but only for a certain period of time. If anything, I would upgrade this to a, 08 8.4L viper in the future.

I'm looking to daily drive a GTR because it meets all the aspects of a car enthusiasts needs and seems to be great year round. Here are the pros I see ...

- AWD
- room for 4
- has a trunk that has enough room to fit more than a coffee pot
- comfortable
- easy to drive

Could I get some input from some fellow GTR owners?

Thank you in advance!
Joe
What year are you looking at buying? New? Used? DBA or CBA? The older they get the less comfortable they are. The 15s have the softest suspension yet, but still are on Run Flats which kill ride quality. There is no way you will fit 4 adults in a GTR. The back seat is tiny. I'm 5'8" and barely fit with the seat forward, and hit my head on the rear window. As for it being a "driver's car," I think it is, especially when you go FBO. Does it drive like a 991 GT3? No, it's a much different feel. But when you push the GTR it is so rewarding.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:05 AM
jcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to behold
DD? Get ready for some depreciation!

Old 12-13-2014, 06:07 AM
gtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud of
This is always a polarized topic.
- Daily driver for 1 or 2 . YES
- Depreciation , no more than Porsche . I have both.
- Get rid of run flats and put green slime and air pump in REAL TRUNK.
Most of the posts here are from none owners who have become internet experts.....

Make your own choice ......... Get a long test ride from a fellow GTR owner .
I am always happy to do it in my area..

Old 12-14-2014, 01:37 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by emerica4601
just found and read the thread by ryem3. What a good writeup! Actually answered a lot of the questions I had.

If there are any other users with input, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
You found most of the insight! No room in the rear seats, even for kids. Noisy and uncomfortable. If you keep 20" runflats, they are very hard to change (are only supposed to be removed once), and replacements are expensive. Very fun and high value car (people have even bought some of the latest 14's which have been dumped for $85k), but not a great daily.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:25 AM
jcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to behold
Buying used should help a lot with depreciation

Originally Posted by gtr guy in az
This is always a polarized topic.
- Daily driver for 1 or 2 . YES
- Depreciation , no more than Porsche . I have both.
- Get rid of run flats and put green slime and air pump in REAL TRUNK.
Most of the posts here are from none owners who have become internet experts.....

Make your own choice ......... Get a long test ride from a fellow GTR owner .
I am always happy to do it in my area..

Old 12-17-2014, 10:27 AM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
I will do it, DBA gt-r for me and I will DD excluding winter time to protect the car as the main reason.

Have spoken with other guys that are daily driving them and they arent very excited about the idea, a bit hard in city driving, a bit to loud for anything more than 150miles away or so.. they all ride CBA GT-Rs, hope the DBA will be better and anyway will give it a try

Old 12-17-2014, 02:23 PM
gtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud of
Almost no one commutes 150 miles. More like 15 miles each way.
This is no worse then a dodge Cummings Diesel truck .
And how is this different than a Ferrari or Porsche doing the same thing except they will cost more per mile to operate.

Have fun.......

Old 12-19-2014, 12:21 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I'm in the same position as the OP, as I have a fun Sunday/track car and want to buy a DBA GT-R for mostly daily use. I say mostly as I'll still have a Lexus IS300 and a Toyota 4Runner for daily duties and can drive the GT-R on days that aren't quite so bad weather wise.

I've done a lot of research on them, and I believe it can fulfill as a good daily driver within reason. It's never going to be a Cadillac or even a normal Nissan in terms of comfort, ingress/egress, etc. but for a car guy/gal this car can be made to work.

It would seem that getting rid of the run-flat tires is a big step towards daily comfort so you might plan on that as one of your first 'comfort and performance' mods. Just as an aside, I've noticed that GT-Rs for sale on this site are priced more competitively than on other sites I've been frequenting, and not by a small margin.

Good luck with your search! I'm out there looking too.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:20 PM
Kamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really nice
I daily drive mine so long there is no rain. This has been the case for the past 2 years. No problem whatsoever!

Old 12-21-2014, 07:16 AM
Torn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud ofTorn has much to be proud of
I DD mine, and I love it. Mine is a 2014 and I use it for my restaurant as well!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking to Daily Drive a GTR. Looking for pros/cons