Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

I really want to pick up a R35 GTR... but...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 01:11 PM
phow is on a distinguished road
I really want to pick up a R35 GTR... but...

The GTR has been on my mind since I first saw it back in 2008. I currently own a 991S (plan to keep it) and my DD is an Audi S7. I really want to make the R35 my new toy but here is my dilemma and please tell me if I'm over thinking or just plain wrong;

I'm really used to dealing with Porsche and Audi dealerships. My experiences have always been really pleasant. When I was looking to buy my 991S, the sales rep at the dealership asked me which cars on the lot I liked and tossed me the keys, gave my his card and told me to give him a call if I get arrested (obviously joking but very casual about letting me test drive what I wanted and didn't even come with me). Audi is not quite as nice but still, very casual. I should also mention I rolled up in the wife's E Class wearing very casual clothes. Clearly in the market but not a baller either I only mention that to say the sales rep could of taken me as a serious buyer or window shopper but he chose the former.

On to Nissan... I have owned several second hand Nissans growing up, so I'm not new to them. However, I am new to the dealership experience and boy is it different... First of all, just getting any Nissan dealership to let you test drive a GTR is a pretty interesting experience. During my shopping, I have only had one dealer offer to let me drive without soliciting and going through the awkward "I need to talk to the GM" show. Granted, the GTR is not cheap but I paid about the same for my DD... I do understand that there are supposedly better dealerships for GTR's than others and I'm sure I will figure that out as I go along.

I sort of like that my 991S is not the top of the line Porsche and I always feel the dealership is very confident in any maintenance I have them perform. I get the feeling that the GTR pushes Nissan (which I would consider an economy car dealership) into territory they are not really comfortable with.

For those that are still reading my post (thanks for staying with me) do you feel that my concern is valid and if so, what has been your solution? Are there specific dealerships to avoid and others that are competent when it comes to maintenance?

I should note that I'm also very fortunate to have AMS in my backyard. Would you say screw the dealership and have a shop like AMS do my work? Are there any warranty concerns having a 3rd party shop doing maintenance work?

I really appreciate any and all thoughts. This has really been my primary issue with pulling the trigger on this car. I'm sold on the GTR, just not necessarily the team behind it.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:12 PM
RcmaGTR is just really niceRcmaGTR is just really niceRcmaGTR is just really niceRcmaGTR is just really nice
I own two GTRs plus two 991 Porsches and an RS7. Same exact dilemma I faced with Nissan. I'm in Colorado and lucky to have Boulder Nissan and a local race shop to handle my needs.
AMS is one of the best shops in the country to address ANYTHING necessary for GTR maintenance and AM options.
Pull the trigger and don't look back at the dealership. You are in great hands with AMS.

One thing to consider. The GTR is a different animal than the 991. It's noisy and a tad clunky in the drivetrain and tranny; all normal and need to accept that. Fit and finish is a step down but good for the price. Bigger and heavier with help needed for cooling if you plan to track it more than 8 minutes at a time. AMS can help with that.
Suggest a good mid pipe for some grunt to start.
Enjoy!

Old 07-17-2015, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by RcmaGTR
I own two GTRs plus two 991 Porsches and an RS7. Same exact dilemma I faced with Nissan. I'm in Colorado and lucky to have Boulder Nissan and a local race shop to handle my needs.
AMS is one of the best shops in the country to address ANYTHING necessary for GTR maintenance and AM options.
Pull the trigger and don't look back at the dealership. You are in great hands with AMS.

One thing to consider. The GTR is a different animal than the 991. It's noisy and a tad clunky in the drivetrain and tranny; all normal and need to accept that. Fit and finish is a step down but good for the price. Bigger and heavier with help needed for cooling if you plan to track it more than 8 minutes at a time. AMS can help with that.
Suggest a good mid pipe for some grunt to start.
Enjoy!

Thank you! I was hoping someone with your experience would take a moment to respond. Scary how close our vehicle choices are and I definitely have to give you props on the RS7 I'm jealous.

I definitely noticed what you described during my test drives but I may be one of the weird ones that thinks all the noises the car makes are actually part of it's character. Just seems so much more brutal than my 991, which I kind of like...

I guess it's back to the dealership I go... Thanks again!

Last edited by phow; 07-17-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:54 PM
jpetro1010 is on a distinguished road
I know what you're talking about when it comes to test drives. I bought my C63AMG Black Series w/o being able to test drive it. In fact, the dealer didn't start taking me serious until we sat down to do paperwork, lol.

I would say this is similar to when I bought my Jeep SRT's. It felt like they had to call the pentagon to get approval for me to test drive that. I think what it boils down to is Nissan and Jeep by default (not all the time and not trying to be rude) attract a crowd that generally can't afford their 'top line models' so I'm sure they get tire kickers all day every day. I wouldn't take offense to it. I would say it's similar to going to a Honda meetup and having 'kids' ask you to drive your GTR...you probably wouldn't do it. Now, go to a Ferrari meetup and have a LaFerrari owner ask to drive your car...

Just my 2 cents!

Btw, I'd love to hear about the dealership experience when it comes to servicing the GTR. The one thing I hated about Jeep (and price shouldn't matter but I think it's relevant) they didn't treat me like I just bought an $80K Jeep, their top line model. I had to haggle with them to let me have a loaner vehicle while they did warranty repairs. Otherwise they wanted to charge me something like, $50/day. This was after buying new SRT's back to back years too. That actually frustrated me enough to trade in my SRT after the repairs were finished on a new RR Sport Supercharged, lol.

Car ADD is a serious disease!

Old 07-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by jpetro1010
I think what it boils down to is Nissan and Jeep by default (not all the time and not trying to be rude) attract a crowd that generally can't afford their 'top line models' so I'm sure they get tire kickers all day every day. I wouldn't take offense to it. I would say it's similar to going to a Honda meetup and having 'kids' ask you to drive your GTR...you probably wouldn't do it. Now, go to a Ferrari meetup and have a LaFerrari owner ask to drive your car...
Very good point and I didn't really consider this. These cars do seem to attract a very different crowd. I was never personally offended. I just felt they had put the car on such a high pedestal that it was almost concerning. Sort of gave the impression it was out of their league as a dealership, which is kind of scary when they are the ones responsible for it. Luckily I just had a really good experience talking to one of the GTR techs at my local dealership and he made me feel a lot more comfortable.

Originally Posted by jpetro1010
Btw, I'd love to hear about the dealership experience when it comes to servicing the GTR. The one thing I hated about Jeep (and price shouldn't matter but I think it's relevant) they didn't treat me like I just bought an $80K Jeep, their top line model. I had to haggle with them to let me have a loaner vehicle while they did warranty repairs. Otherwise they wanted to charge me something like, $50/day. This was after buying new SRT's back to back years too. That actually frustrated me enough to trade in my SRT after the repairs were finished on a new RR Sport Supercharged, lol.

Car ADD is a serious disease!
I think this is why I have always liked owning the mid level I always feel confident dropping off my 991S at the dealership, now if I owned a 918... I would probably **** a brick lol.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:30 PM
gtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud of
Call AMS and ask if they have a recomendation on a used GTR.
If I was in Chicago, this is the only shop who would work on my car.
Dealers are ok but AMS is tops............................

Old 07-27-2015, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by gtr guy in az
Call AMS and ask if they have a recomendation on a used GTR.
If I was in Chicago, this is the only shop who would work on my car.
Dealers are ok but AMS is tops............................
I ended up picking up a 2014 Black/Black Premium last week. Loving it so far. Definitely plan to use AMS for all future maintenance and mods.