Sponsored by:

RS7 test drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 08:45 PM
bobolouie is on a distinguished road
RS7 test drive

Drove a 2016 Audi RS7 today, to compare to my 2010 PTT

Positive aspects of RS7 - great exhaust sound/backfire on downshifts in sport mode, plenty of power in straight line ( as much as PTT i would estimate) B and O stereo as good as Burmeister system. Rear hatch space seemed equal. Excellent brakes

Overall the Audi is quieter at highway speeds, and the noisy bits on the Panny - the air compressor, the rear hatch lift mechanism - just cannot hear on the Audi
Sport seats seemed fine, perhaps not as comfortable long term as Panny. Easier to get into sport mode in Audi with quick pull of shift lever down vs hunting for the sport button on PTT. Transmission in Audi is a ZF sourced 8 speed, not double clutch, but very smooth shifts, much better than PTT at low speeds which can be clunky. Updated electronics , particularly nav is very fast with smooth graphics.

Negatives - cannot get ventilated sport seats. Even in sport mode audi is not nearly as flat in the curves as PTT with PDCC. Audi - Not so sure about front end styling, but overall nice lines. Rear seating is ok, headroom limited by roofline.

So - guess i will keep looking for what might replace the PTT when the warranty runs out.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:29 AM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
The only animal you can replace the panamera is another panamera or maybe the tesla P85D

Old 08-02-2015, 05:14 AM
mziegler38 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bobolouie
Drove a 2016 Audi RS7 today, to compare to my 2010 PTT

Positive aspects of RS7 - great exhaust sound/backfire on downshifts in sport mode, plenty of power in straight line ( as much as PTT i would estimate) B and O stereo as good as Burmeister system. Rear hatch space seemed equal. Excellent brakes

Overall the Audi is quieter at highway speeds, and the noisy bits on the Panny - the air compressor, the rear hatch lift mechanism - just cannot hear on the Audi
Sport seats seemed fine, perhaps not as comfortable long term as Panny. Easier to get into sport mode in Audi with quick pull of shift lever down vs hunting for the sport button on PTT. Transmission in Audi is a ZF sourced 8 speed, not double clutch, but very smooth shifts, much better than PTT at low speeds which can be clunky. Updated electronics , particularly nav is very fast with smooth graphics.

Negatives - cannot get ventilated sport seats. Even in sport mode audi is not nearly as flat in the curves as PTT with PDCC. Audi - Not so sure about front end styling, but overall nice lines. Rear seating is ok, headroom limited by roofline.

So - guess i will keep looking for what might replace the PTT when the warranty runs out.
Have you considered the Tesla?

Old 08-02-2015, 07:11 AM
Goonie is on a distinguished road
I test drove a rs7. Wasn't impressed. Seemed very heavy and very bland on the inside.

You can never replace the rumble of internal combustion with electric motors.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:58 AM
Gus_Smedstad is on a distinguished road
I actually rather like the near-silence of electric drive in my PSeH. If it weren't for all my other issues with the Tesla P85D, I'd be very interested.

Among other things, I've come to appreciate the ridiculous range I get with the PSeH. It's the first car I've been able to drive from Boston to Virginia without needing to stop for fuel. Even the 200-ish mile range of the Tesla electrics seems like a big step back from that.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Gus. I agree that the tesla is an option. What issues have u had?

Old 08-03-2015, 01:55 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porschecayenne92
The only animal you can replace the panamera is another panamera or maybe the tesla P85D
Agreed. I do believe the interior quality of the Panamera is superior to the P85D.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Gus_Smedstad is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bobolouie
Gus. I agree that the tesla is an option. What issues have u had?
Edmunds has had their P85 for a couple of years now, and Tesla has had to replace the entire drivetrain twice. I might have discounted it as an issue if it had only happened to them once.

There are places I've driven in the past year which would have been unreachable in a model S, because they were too distant from the Supercharger network for a round trip.

Annual service is $600. While it's not absolutely required anymore, that seems excessive. From what I gather, it's that expensive because they want to check everything because they're still new enough to the car business that they're not sure what might go wrong yet. Yeah, I'm discovering that Porsche dealer service is ludicrously overpriced, but it still bothers me.

My subjective issue is that it looks like a very, very ordinary sedan to me. I know there are people who really like the looks, but given that I don't really find the Panamera sporty-looking enough for my taste, and the Panamera is far sportier in appearance than the Model S, it'd bug me.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
Edmunds has had their P85 for a couple of years now, and Tesla has had to replace the entire drivetrain twice. I might have discounted it as an issue if it had only happened to them once.

There are places I've driven in the past year which would have been unreachable in a model S, because they were too distant from the Supercharger network for a round trip.

Annual service is $600. While it's not absolutely required anymore, that seems excessive. From what I gather, it's that expensive because they want to check everything because they're still new enough to the car business that they're not sure what might go wrong yet. Yeah, I'm discovering that Porsche dealer service is ludicrously overpriced, but it still bothers me.

My subjective issue is that it looks like a very, very ordinary sedan to me. I know there are people who really like the looks, but given that I don't really find the Panamera sporty-looking enough for my taste, and the Panamera is far sportier in appearance than the Model S, it'd bug me.
Agree completely. And the interior is lacking

Old 08-03-2015, 05:02 PM
2010Panny4S will become famous soon enough
Porsche dealer service is ludicrously overpriced,
true that !!