Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake cleaning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 04:24 PM
halb has a spectacular aura abouthalb has a spectacular aura abouthalb has a spectacular aura about
Intake cleaning

OK Panamera owners I need an answer to a question about the mass airflow sensor on the V6 engine. I want to perform an intake valve cleaning procedure and the only caution given by the manufacturer is to spray the cleaning solvent downstream of the airflow sensor. From my observation my V6 does not have a hot wire sensor. The V6 has 2 feed tubes from the air filter from each side of the car. They meet up at the Y pipe that goes directly into the throttle body. I've searched parts websites and no one shows any airflow sensor at all. Some fuel systems use a manifold pressure sensor to obtain an airflow reading for the computer. Does anyone know about this on the Panamera V6 ?

Old 02-18-2017, 09:24 AM
halb has a spectacular aura abouthalb has a spectacular aura abouthalb has a spectacular aura about
I've been dormant on this intake valve cleaning procedure but I'm at 20,000 miles on my 14 V6 Pan and I still have had no luck finding any details about the type of air flow sensor on my engine. From what I have read about direct injection our intake valves are loading up with carbon which must be removed. It's just a fact of life with direct injection. I'm a very hands on kind of Porsche owner and it's a bit frustrating at the lack of technical information out there on these cars. Guys check out this product CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner. The main caution is the Mass Air Flow sensor and I don't believe my V6 has one. Would like to know for sure. Dealer service department is my next stop but they have never been very receptive to answering DIY technical questions.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:19 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I had the same question???

Old 02-26-2017, 06:36 PM
Cerbo - I've given up finding any info that is technical on this forum. I understand that this procedure may be more involved than most owners would feel comfortable with but it's really not that complicated to perform and sooooo very critical to our direct injected engines. Most current Bosch fuel systems have a hot wire mass airflow sensor but my V6 doesn't appear to have that setup. I'm going to find out one way or another and perform this cleaning to my engine. I'll keep you posted.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:35 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Thanks, I ve been on this forum for a while. The previous car was a 911 and it s loaded with DIY tech stuff. Not as many Pana owners work on their cars I guess.
I ve used the injector can and hose right into that seam where the plastic tube meets the metal body on other cars. Pretty simple. I always wonder about it s effectiveness thought? Thanks again.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:50 PM
Insane Garage has more technical articles and DIY info. There's lots of info out there on the web about intake valve cleaning and you are correct that it's pretty simple. CRC just emphasizes the MAF and avoiding contact with the solvent. I'm going to inject mine past the throttle body and should be OK. If you haven't already, check out the CRC GDI video on YouTube. It's good at explaining the carbon buildup on the intake valves. Other videos on this subject suggest that it should be done every 10,000 miles. I think the key is to never let the buildup get excessive. Once that happens the intake would require removal and the carbon scraped from the valves. Debris has to be vacuumed from the ports as you go. Very labor intensive.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:24 PM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
what cleaning solvent are you guys using ?

Old 02-27-2017, 06:44 PM
Google CRC GDI IVD Intake Valve Cleaner. They have a really good video explaining the procedure and importance of this service for direct injection engines.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:17 PM
I just bought a can of Amsoil Power Foam cleaner.
I first did my Subaru and did not really notice anything different. The check engine light and the cruise control light started flashing but re set after 3 key cycles and a quick ride. I took the Porsche intake apart which was easier than the Subi BUT I thought about it and was afraid to spray it in fearing I would set some sensor off that would not re set itself causing me hours of dealer issues.The inside rim of the intake was slightly dirty and I wiped it clean (15K). FYI.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:47 PM
Your concern is exactly why I'm hesitant about spraying the cleaner into my engine without knowing for sure about the sensors. CRC only cautions about the hot wire MAF sensor. I really want to get this done now that I'm at 20,000 miles.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:51 PM
Mine is a lease so I really shouldn t even be investigating this but I like working on cars. I was thinking there are knock sensors somewhere in there too. I m sure if it set off a light it should re set itself and I do have a durametric tool to res set stuff like that, just probably not worth the chance. I sprayed past the sensors in the Subaru but it did still set off the CHECK ENGINE light... ???

Old 03-02-2017, 06:02 PM
I understand about the lease, I wouldn't be too concerned unless you plan to buy the car. This new phenomenon about intake deposits on GDI engines is really getting a lot of attention. One article I read was talking about how it will create a new service procedure that especially the independents will need to get up to speed on. Once GDI vehicles accumulate miles and are out of warranty the indies will have to address this carbon buildup problem.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:14 AM
I will dump a can of injector intake clearer in the fuel anyway.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.