996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT Front Bumperette question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Banned
Trevor Ely is on a distinguished road
996TT Front Bumperette question...

Hey folks,

Was wondering if the front bumperettes on a 996 Turbo front are removable? If so, will there be a blank hole in the cover itself?

Much appreciated,

Old 01-05-2008, 03:16 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
You can remove them (they are nick named warts) and as you thought...it will leave a hole. Some choose to fill it, but most just replace the bumper with some aftermarket version.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:21 PM
r34dy2walk is on a distinguished road
i just got mine filled.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Banned
I see. Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by wross996TT
You can remove them (they are nick named warts) and as you thought...it will leave a hole. Some choose to fill it, but most just replace the bumper with some aftermarket version.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:35 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
If you remove the bumperettes, you can fill the hole by ordering replacement front grilles that cover them. There are some version of the replacement parts CD's with the wrong part number. They are actually the same part, but the one for the bumperettes has a corner cut out of it.

I tried to find the part number, but it's escaping me at the moment. let me know if you need me to look harder for it.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
If you remove the bumperettes, you can fill the hole by ordering replacement front grilles that cover them. There are some version of the replacement parts CD's with the wrong part number. They are actually the same part, but the one for the bumperettes has a corner cut out of it.

I tried to find the part number, but it's escaping me at the moment. let me know if you need me to look harder for it.
Very cool. This is what I was wondering when I was looking at it this afternoon. It looks like something you could remove and replace just the side grilles.

If you wouldn't mind finding those part#s, I'd really appreciate it!

Old 01-05-2008, 10:06 PM
awizrd is on a distinguished road
Hey R34....

Do you have soem close up pics of the finished job? I have the wonderful 'warts' as well and I'm having a really hard time convincing the other half that I need to get a new front end just to eliminate them...Can you give me an idea of cost as well?

Old 01-05-2008, 10:23 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
I have the perfect replacement for you..How does a gemballa GT650 TT from bumper sound.hummmmm.......And its Artic silver no need to paint!

Originally Posted by awizrd
Hey R34....

Do you have soem close up pics of the finished job? I have the wonderful 'warts' as well and I'm having a really hard time convincing the other half that I need to get a new front end just to eliminate them...Can you give me an idea of cost as well?

Old 01-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Ok...Interest Peaked!
PM me with pics and price
Remember, the other half has a real problem with spending big bucks for this so be nice

Old 01-06-2008, 04:07 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Trevor Ely
Very cool. This is what I was wondering when I was looking at it this afternoon. It looks like something you could remove and replace just the side grilles.

If you wouldn't mind finding those part#s, I'd really appreciate it!
I've attached a photo of the grill. When the bumperettes are installed, the solid upper corner is removed. I found the part numbers, and there is good news and bad news. The bad news is I can't recall which is which! I think the 564 is the one with the full grille.

P/N in PET: 996 505 563 0001C
P/N with corner in grille: 996 505 564 0001C

There is a similar number for the other side. Please check carefully with the parts guys before you order to make sure you get the right ones. As I recall, they were overpriced, somewhere in the $130 each range. You might be able to convince someone who has changed the front bumper cover to let some go.

Jon

Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
I've attached a photo of the grill. When the bumperettes are installed, the solid upper corner is removed. I found the part numbers, and there is good news and bad news. The bad news is I can't recall which is which! I think the 564 is the one with the full grille.

P/N in PET: 996 505 563 0001C
P/N with corner in grille: 996 505 564 0001C

There is a similar number for the other side. Please check carefully with the parts guys before you order to make sure you get the right ones. As I recall, they were overpriced, somewhere in the $130 each range. You might be able to convince someone who has changed the front bumper cover to let some go.

Jon
I appreciate it Jon!

Old 01-06-2008, 05:51 PM
One more thing -- the guy that explained to me about the error in the PET and gave me the right part number is in Parts at Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte. I am pretty sure his name is Todd.

Jon

Old 02-09-2008, 11:19 PM
So what are the steps to remove these warts? Based on your pic FastFwd, it appears that the only hole would be the grill portion(no damage to the body itself)...which would be later fixed with the new part numbers you mentioned...Am I correct?

Old 02-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Afterdark is on a distinguished road
I'm also curious about this. Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead but just want to make sure that there is know paint work needed for the bumper when replacing the grills. Thanks.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:34 AM
Nope - no paint work. You have to remove the bumper, remove the bumperettes, then pop out the grilles and replace with the new ones.

Jon

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT Front Bumperette question...