996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How Do We Beat The New Big Dogs? (zr-1, Acr, Gt2)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:43 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
How Do We Beat The New Big Dogs? (zr-1, Acr, Gt2)

Since we've had the long line of threads on what it takes to beat a Z06, GT3, TT, etc I figured I'd start a new thread on what (in our opinions) it will take on our cars to be competitive with the new wave of superduperperformance cars.

I'm talking about every aspect 1/4 mile, lap times, anything.

So lets here it. Useful data would include relative times by certain cars on different tracks.

Personally I think the ZR-1 will take the most to beat on the drag strip, with the Viper second, ACR third (because of downforce) and GT2 4th.

On the Road Course I'd go with the ACR First, GT2, ZR-1 and 08 Viper.

I think it will take 700+ hp (internals) or more to beat a ZR-1 in the 1/4 mile and beyond. And 650-700 to run with or beat the rest. ( I think some weight reduction will be needed too)

On the road course I think with equal tires, that its going to take a heck of a lot to beat an ACR if it's driven properly, fortunately most vipers dont get that (proper driving) so you may be able to get away with less. Most important is trying to get the proper downforce so a significant wing and front splitter would make it a lot easier, but anything short of that you'll be fighting for your life.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:56 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
If someone with each car can come down to Roebling Road in a few months, we could put this on. It would be free for the owner of each car. (We've already rented it)

That would be pretty epic.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 will become famous soon enoughHamann7 will become famous soon enough
I personally think the GT2 will be faster than the ACR around most tracks. The Viper weighs in at 3400 lbs! Power to weight ratio is close enough, but GT2 has more advanced suspension.

It is my prediction that the ZR1 will pose more of a threat than the ACR. We shall see, but either way, I'm not exactly rushing out to buy a Chevy or Dodge any time soon. I'd rather buy a GT-R.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 will become famous soon enoughHamann7 will become famous soon enough
If you want to beat the big dogs for sure, take your car to 911 Design and build a "Turbo RSR" a la the GT2 RSR project.

Pretty hard to beat that thing, straight or turns. It'll only cost you $410K. Same price as a CGT or Scuderia

Old 05-02-2008, 01:28 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hamann7
I personally think the GT2 will be faster than the ACR around most tracks. The Viper weighs in at 3400 lbs! Power to weight ratio is close enough, but GT2 has more advanced suspension.

It is my prediction that the ZR1 will pose more of a threat than the ACR. We shall see, but either way, I'm not exactly rushing out to buy a Chevy or Dodge any time soon. I'd rather buy a GT-R.

I doubt it, the ACR has something like 1000 lbs of downforce in the rear and like 700 in the front, the GT2 wont out handle it without something in the ballpark of downforce, and the GT2 will weigh over 3300 lbs if Porsche usual trends stay in tact (I.E. they always lie). And with 600 hp the GT2 will not be walking away on the straights.

As for the normal 08 Viper yes, the GT2 will beat it down all day long, but the ACR will have far too much advantage on tracks with lots of high speed turns Road Atlanta, VIR, Sebring, Watkins Glen, Leguna Seca. But low speed technical tracks it will have a chance.

The ACR is NO joke, the 08 viper has already beaten the Z06 by a second at VIR grand, the ACR will beat that by several seconds assuming they arent scared to drive it.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:34 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
The ACR is sick, and will be a true force on high speed tracks.

MK

Old 05-02-2008, 06:45 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
I think it'll take a GT-R.

j/k

Old 05-02-2008, 06:52 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hamann7

I don't think the ZR1 is going to be a track beast. And I think on smaller tracks it'll be as quick as the Z06 if not slower. The car weighs almost 300 lbs more then the Z06, and not much has been done to the suspension to make sure it can handle the extra power.

I think it's going to be a great straight line car, and will be good on the big courses, but throw in some technicality I think it may flop.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:32 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
The ZR1 is more of a GT car, the ACR hardcore track! The Gt2 should be faster than both...don't forget the Drivers!! I Am really considering a ACR for a dedicated track car!!

Old 05-04-2008, 09:13 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
The ACR should be the better track car in the right hands. The ZR1 will be very good but I do not see it being better than an ACR without some added downforce. I think a slightly modded Z06 will be/is a better track car than the ZR1 will be. In a straight line the ZR1 will be truely scarey for a car straight off the showroom floor and one hell of a value.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:19 PM
I agree.

Head/Cam Z06 > ZR-1 on road course. Maybe not even that much in mods. But that front splitter on the ZR-1 will help a lot, and the brakes should be tons better. Other than that, and a lil better weight/power ratio, the ZR-1 has nothing to offer.

Well maybe the gearing is better, I dont know the specs. And the stock tires are definitely better.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:09 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
How 'bout a Cayman S with a boosted 997 TT motor? Oh, and the necessary suspension upgrades too.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:14 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Modded Z06 and ACR will beat the ZR1 due to weight of ZR1 and lack of downforce
compared to the Dodge.

With a TT to compete, you will have to go at least as far as I have gone but probably
a better suspension (MOTONS) and more weight reduction (I am at 3350 without me).

Oh, the Cayman S with a tt would be a killer.

MK

Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I wonder how long it will be until Porsche seeks a displacement increase. Only so far you can go with 3.6 liters when your competition is working with over 6.0 liters of displacement.

Granted it's obvious the 997 bottom end seems to be good for some 800 HP already. I think it's more of a driveability issue with larger turbos.

Maybe they're just going to wait it out and get saved by cafe standards. Not that these cars sip fuel or anything.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 05-07-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:25 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ari
I wonder how long it will be until Porsche seeks a displacement increase. Only so far you can go with 3.6 liters when your competition is working with over 6.0 liters of displacement.

Granted it's obvious the 997 bottom end seems to be good for some 800 HP already. I think it's more of a driveability issue with larger turbos.

Maybe they're just going to wait it out and get saved by cafe standards. Not that these cars sip fuel or anything.

Great prediction. I read just that sort of thing in the current EVO magazine yesterday. It indicated that Chevrolet has cancelled development on anything beyond the ZR1 and Dodge and others have taken similar action in response to the upcoming CAFE standards. Said small turbo and light weight are going to be the way to go. That should sit just right with Porsche, nobody does it better. Perhaps a turbo Cayman is just what the doctor ordered.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Do We Beat The New Big Dogs? (zr-1, Acr, Gt2)