996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How Do We Beat The New Big Dogs? (zr-1, Acr, Gt2)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:27 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Modded Z06 and ACR will beat the ZR1 due to weight of ZR1 and lack of downforce
compared to the Dodge.

With a TT to compete, you will have to go at least as far as I have gone but probably
a better suspension (MOTONS) and more weight reduction (I am at 3350 without me).

Oh, the Cayman S with a tt would be a killer.

MK

Agreed!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:44 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
A cayman with that much power will be like those Jspec S2k's that have 600 hp and you cant drive them because they are too light with too much hp. Unless you are going to buy the alzen wing, that small wheelbase will be next to uncontrollable without a ginormous wing on the back. And with 50/50 it will b unpredictable. No thanks.

Bigger hp, needs bigger wheel base, OR 911 rear end traction and some DF in front and back. I'd take a TT or GT2 for those power levels.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:00 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
I wont lie, I have seriously thought about getting an ACR...Until that, I would have never of dreamed...but those parts are SO DAMN CHEAP in comparison to the turbo and the car seems amazingly simple yet brutally fast...

Old 05-07-2008, 10:14 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by heavychevy
A cayman with that much power will be like those Jspec S2k's that have 600 hp and you cant drive them because they are too light with too much hp. Unless you are going to buy the alzen wing, that small wheelbase will be next to uncontrollable without a ginormous wing on the back. And with 50/50 it will b unpredictable. No thanks.

Bigger hp, needs bigger wheel base, OR 911 rear end traction and some DF in front and back. I'd take a TT or GT2 for those power levels.
Well, there goes my dream. Hey, they could put a C GT motor in the Cayman. I heard it fits, but they could stretch the wheelbase just a bit for better handling and put a big wing on it like the GT2 has. It's a pipe dream, I know, but I really wish Porsche would try it (if they haven't already!). I thought the Cayman was closer to 40/60. I'll have to check it out.

Yep, just went out to my garage and picked up the font end, and then the back. Think it is closer to 40/60...sorry, dumb joke. The car is pretty light though!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Just checked my stats. Weight distribution on the Cayman S is 45/55. Is that any better than 50/50?

Old 05-07-2008, 10:24 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by USCCayman
Well, there goes my dream. Hey, they could put a C GT motor in the Cayman. I heard it fits, but they could stretch the wheelbase just a bit for better handling and put a big wing on it like the GT2 has. It's a pipe dream, I know, but I really wish Porsche would try it (if they haven't already!). I thought the Cayman was closer to 40/60. I'll have to check it out.

Yep, just went out to my garage and picked up the font end, and then the back. Think it is closer to 40/60...sorry, dumb joke. The car is pretty light though!
Dont go by me, I'm just talking based on my preferences because I'm comfortable with the 911 handling characteristics. But make sure you have your ALMS helmet on when you try a 600 hp cayman.

And yes I'd rather 45/65 than 50/50.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Dont go by me, I'm just talking based on my preferences because I'm comfortable with the 911 handling characteristics. But make sure you have your ALMS helmet on when you try a 600 hp cayman.

And yes I'd rather 45/65 than 50/50.

Thanks, HC. I'm just dreaming. I've been a Porsche fanatic for over 40 years and the fever just keeps getting worse. I have loved reading your responses to the GT-R fanboys on this website. Ain't no one dethroned the "King" yet! And, I doubt they will as long as thrilling sports cars remain legal (which may not be for too much longer ).

Old 05-07-2008, 11:45 AM
HC,
Somebody's posting some more GT-R dribble at Autospies. Something like "No country for Porsche: The New Nissan GT-R". You ought to go over there and set them straight (I don't have your knowledge base, or I'd try). I did suggest they check out the progress of the Nissan in One Lap of America . Geez, I really don't hate any one car, but the GT-R hype is pretty irritating, to say the least. I better stop this before I turn your legitimate thread into another GT-R free-for-all. I

shouldn't ask you to do my fighting for me, either. Sorry!

Last edited by USCCayman; 05-07-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:03 PM
DJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
I don't think the ZR1 is going to be a track beast. And I think on smaller tracks it'll be as quick as the Z06 if not slower. The car weighs almost 300 lbs more then the Z06, and not much has been done to the suspension to make sure it can handle the extra power.

I think it's going to be a great straight line car, and will be good on the big courses, but throw in some technicality I think it may flop.
You sure about this...?? 638HP, much better tires, composite brakes, better shock/spring set up. I think it will give the ACR a run for the money...

Take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S7xbxuaXrA

Old 05-07-2008, 01:24 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
I think the ZR1 is going to represent just fine out of the box on the track. It has more downforce than a Z06 , more HP , better tires and brakes. All stock. We will have to wait and see for some official track #'s - but I suspect they will be very respectable.

As far as the talk of modding all of these other cars to compete with it (Z06 include - since I have modded mine to be better on the track) - I am sure with a couple of simple mods the ZR1 will be one wicked track car. I just wish they would have figured out how to keep the overall weight down closer to the 3100+ of the Z06 and kept the 50/50 distribution.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
You guys better forget aiming for those cars and worry about the guys like Jim McNemar who just bought a brand new Z06 and sent it off to LG motorsports...It's back home now and I sat in it and started it up and all I can say is WOW....

And the final product...

Jim Actually flew out to Texas last weekend and spent a couple days with Lou G. and his team testing the car at Texas Motorsport Ranch. Jim loads it up and will have it out at Mid-Ohio tomorrow for the Friday - Sunday PCA event.

Mike

Old 05-07-2008, 05:33 PM
I feel bad for the PCA guys at Mid Ohio.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Dez, It's got a GX1 cam, the smallest of LG's cams in it, and the thing shakes at idle... It made 520WHP and they will likely be doing a bigger cam over the winter...Otherwise, no expense was spared on this car... The oil pan is serial number 00001 of the product line, and the new drysump/pan works properly... Along with the Suspension upgrades (LG coil overs), drop spindles, new bearing carriers, 15inch brake upgrade, carbon torque tube, headers, head work, and all the other bits and pieces... This car is amazing, and a bargain for what it is...

Jim's "other" car...

Mike

Old 05-07-2008, 05:48 PM
I've seen that car, was he at the Zone 2 event?

I'm going to get MTI (corvette tuner, who also happens to be my biggest competition in time trials) to design me a front splitter based off the aero spoiler. It'll be nasty when I can eliminate push altogether.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Jim was there at Zone2 and running 2:04-2:05s.

He's quite a shoe, and his gt3 dyno'd at 381WHP, so he's using every ounce of that car up, which is why he built the monster Z06!

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Do We Beat The New Big Dogs? (zr-1, Acr, Gt2)