Sad News about OUR ben lj, Ben Keatons.......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 11:55 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
guys, lets not forget that another guy who we may or may not have known (still not sure who it is) also died tragically in the accident. keep him and his family in your prayers as well.

I'm amazed at how much this has affected me. It certainly makes me realize that the time I spend on these forums is not "wasted time" as I often think of it.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:05 AM
Vik
Vik has a spectacular aura aboutVik has a spectacular aura about
From F-Chat, regarding the identity of the passenger. Posted by Italian21:

"The passenger was another amazing guy and friend, Cory Rudl. I was with them both. Cory's Murceilago Roadster overheated early in the session. He was interested in buying a GT and Ben graciously offered Cory a seat to show him what the car could do. The entrance to the track was at the absolute worst place in the straight and an F-car was waived on in error as they came down the straight. It was just unthinkable something like this could happen. The driver waived on is by all accounts an excellent driver and was only doing what was instructed. I doubt he ever saw the car in such a blind spot coming on. May they both rest in peace and my heartfelt prayers for their families. Cory leaves behind a wonderful wife of just 30 days.......tragic isn't the word."

Truly sad

Old 06-04-2005, 12:05 AM
Suneal is on a distinguished road
Ben posted this photo a few days back

Originally posted by SteveH
I'm amazed at how much this has affected me. It certainly makes me realize that the time I spend on these forums is not "wasted time" as I often think of it.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:06 AM
phillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to behold
R.I.P. Ben.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:08 AM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
Originally posted by Suneal
Ben posted this photo a few days back

Brings tears to my eyes.

Thomas

Old 06-04-2005, 12:13 AM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
I am just stunned by this news. I never personally met Ben but I have shared emails with him. Through our mutual love of P-cars, and almost daily interaction on this board and other boards, it seems like I have known Ben for the past 4-5 years. This is the strangest feeling. I am sure that many of you feel the same as I do. It's hard to describe how it's possible to feel a sense of loss without ever meeting the person in person. This community and this form of interaction with people is almost the same as sharing a daily phone call and chewing the fat or meeting down at the local bar and sharing a few. We do this on a daily basis and even though I have never met you guys, I can call all of you guys my friends. Through these silly little messages, everybody has a personality and character that shines through. Ben was a tremendous individual. One genuinely cool guy. Instead of saying anything negative about somebody, he'd just throw in a little quip or joke. Truly an awesome guy that will be missed. I am still in disbelief that this even happened.

Being a father of 3 boys under the age of 7, I can't even begin to imagine what his wife and children are going through. My deepest sympathies go out to his family.

Be safe out there guys, the last thing we need is to lose another friend from the board.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:23 AM
ChrisRC is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

My deepest condolences and sympathies to Ben's loved ones, friends, and associates.

I never had the privilege of personally knowing Ben, but it was impossible to not recognize and respect his upstanding character and vast knowledge. True class act.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:25 AM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
ive been going back and forth at the ferrari chat website and this is what someone posted over there...

The person driving the vehicle who was behind him (Ferrari Stradale) just called us and told us what happened from his view. He was first on the scene. He said the GT past him at over 150mph as they eased onto the straigh a way and was traveling close to 165mph when he saw the car swerve. He got his car stopped and was first on the scene. One person was DOA and the other (driver) passed away in the helicopter enroute to the hospital.

What happened with the pit marshall:

Marshall saw the GT coming and gave the Ferrari owner the "GO" Ferrari guy hesitated.. looked back at the track.. passenger was shouting "GO".. then marshall says "STOP" and the Ferrari guy takes off.

Now: If the GT was moving at 165+ and the pit marshall wasnt familiar with cars generating that kind of speed (I'm doubting he was a CA Speedway employee) I could easily see how a split second hesitation on behalf of the driver could really mess things up.

This sucks. The passenger had just jumped into the GT. He was thinking about buying one and wanted a hot lap in it. Several of the FOC members are on their way to his house to "inform" his wife.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:29 AM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
I know this sounds corny, but I wish Ben was able to read his 'living' obituary here on this forum - it's inspiring to see just how loved and respected he is, and what a loss it is to all of us. I am still freaked out in remembering his posts from yesterday and early this morning - it doesn't seem real to me. I can't even imagine what his wife and daughter are going through and I shudder deeply to consider my own wife and daughter when I'm out there on the track.

PLEASE be safe out there, everyone - do whatever you can to always be safe!

Old 06-04-2005, 12:30 AM
TheJunglist is on a distinguished road
RIP Ben, he was such a great guy. Words can't explain what I'm going through with his loss.

Threads like this one on NICO isn't helping much.

Link Edited by request

It does not in any way represents NICO.

Last edited by TheJunglist; 06-04-2005 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:39 AM
schnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant future
Originally posted by SteveH
guys, lets not forget that another guy who we may or may not have known (still not sure who it is) also died tragically in the accident. keep him and his family in your prayers as well.

Yes, I can't imagine the frustration and sadness of both their families - just one lap and they are missing their loved ones. I too am very affected by this - I think the frustration I have at not being able to turn back time, just to correct one silly mistake.

In memory of Ben and Cory (whom I did not know), I think we should all look into improving the safety of our track events - starting with ensuring proper flaggers. Your lives really are in their hands out there...

Old 06-04-2005, 12:55 AM
dgussin1 will become famous soon enough
THis is so sureal...I cannot believe this. I have chatted with him many a times...we were supposed to meet up soon to chat cars and play around.

I didn't know the man, more than from this board, but I feel like I lost a friend.

RIP Ben...have fun at the race track in the sky.

Old 06-04-2005, 01:03 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
I received a call from Robert about this horrible news and I just didn't believe it, truly shocking, I've talked to Ben, he has offered me a ride in his GT, as he has with most of us, I've raced on that track, and I'm at a loss for words. We, and most of all his family have lost a friend, a father, and a man that would lend a helping hand to any stranger at any time. Ben you will be missed! My deepest condolences goes out to his family and the family of Cory the passenger.

Old 06-04-2005, 01:05 AM
fasteddiett has a spectacular aura aboutfasteddiett has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by TUUNER
Brings tears to my eyes.

Thomas
im sure you are not the only one , I remember seeing this pic posted a while back thinking to myself how jazzed he must have been takin it... the new baby in the new CGT.

very sad

Old 06-04-2005, 01:13 AM
Cab Lover
Oweyea is on a distinguished road
What a reminder how fragile "life" really is. I saw ben for the first time last weekend in San Diego and now he's left us.

Rest in Peace........

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sad News about OUR ben lj, Ben Keatons.......