6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

99 996 Cam Deviation Help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Phil_wasson is on a distinguished road
99 996 Cam Deviation Help!!

I have a 99 996 with a CEL light it comes up with the code p1524. bank 2 cam deviation. I hooked up the durametric to it and it gave me bank 1 -3 deviation and bank 2 -20 deviation. So I have checked the cam sensor and made sure it was good. I ran the actuators and they both when turned on make the car want to die. That is what should happen right? now im thinking I have the bank 2 cam out of time. Should my next step be to pull cams and make sure timing is ok? any help would be awesome thanks!

Old 04-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Technical Advisors
411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !
Be careful here. Don’t pull the Cams yet. Maybe I’m too late with this. Sorry, if I am.

I would start off swapping the sensors and actuator solenoids from one side to the other, if you have not done so yet. See if the problem moves with the sensors.

There is no way the cams can go out of time unless the bolt holding the actuators to the Camshaft has come loose or there is a restriction in the Oil feed to the actuator. Uncommon and never seen this before. Bolts coming loose , yes and quite common now days. The engine would run really bad if either has happened. Does the engine performance seem different?

I am not sure the actual position of the Cam at rest and at Idle. The Cam will be most retarded at starting and it may be advanced some at idle, and as the RPM increases the cam is further advanced, all based upon the cam mapping.

The test you performed would drive open the actuators under normal oil pressure and advance the cams. But I’m not sure by how much. It should advance the cams fully I would think. I guess it comes down to how your reader is programmed. Does your reader show an offset valve in Crank degrees for both Cams? If it does, they should be within 1 degrees max. I would think. If all else has failed, I guess the covers come off and the bolts checked and oil galleys checked and the cam, positions checked with the street setting fixtures. Hope not, and this is not required as this is a big project to tackle without the right tools etc. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:59 AM
Byprodriver is on a distinguished road
Most likely a chain has jumped a tooth on it's gear drive or the IMS gear drive is moving on the IMS shaft, or the IMSB is failing. Regardless do not start the engine. Remove the oil filter housing & inspect the filter for foreign debris if there are alot of metal pieces the engine needs to be disassembled to find the cause.