6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

Help with sometimes-no-start 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:25 PM
brown27bjb59 is on a distinguished road
Help with sometimes-no-start 997

New to this forum, looking for advice. I have a 2008 997 S Cab manual.

Most of the time, the car starts fine. But sometimes when I turn the key, I hear the click but no start. Lights and all indications of battery are quite strong. The car has typically been sitting overnight in a heated garage. Parked on a flat parking space.

What makes it start: Roll the car 1 foot. Either direction works (forwards or backwards). Then it starts up strong with zero hesitation. Every time. With that heart-racing sound that I love.

What doesn’t affect it: Battery is good (replaced it). Tried shaking the car up and down-no difference. Move the gear shift around – no difference. Press clutch in and out a few times-no difference. Parking break engaged or not – no difference. The steering wheel isn’t locked.

Dealer seems mystified. Help much appreciated.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:54 PM
gordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the rough
I recall reading on this forum that the 997 has a known issue with the battery cable being flaky and needing replacing. I think there is a tsb for it.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Technical Advisors
411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !411 Is a GOD !
Great advice.

Always check the most basic things first. Main Voltage goes from Battery to Starter. High current as the load is the greatest. From Ignition Circuit is same Voltage but less current to drive Starter Solenoid. If Battery Voltage is good and all you hear is click sometimes, that is typical of bad connections.

Not surprised dealer is stumped. They have been programmed to connect up the Porsche Diagnostic tester before thinking what is the problem, what is the typical cause and look at the basics. These may be new cars but the old problems and causes still exist.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:36 PM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brown27bjb59
New to this forum, looking for advice. I have a 2008 997 S Cab manual.

Most of the time, the car starts fine. But sometimes when I turn the key, I hear the click but no start. Lights and all indications of battery are quite strong. The car has typically been sitting overnight in a heated garage. Parked on a flat parking space.

What makes it start: Roll the car 1 foot. Either direction works (forwards or backwards). Then it starts up strong with zero hesitation. Every time. With that heart-racing sound that I love.

What doesn’t affect it: Battery is good (replaced it). Tried shaking the car up and down-no difference. Move the gear shift around – no difference. Press clutch in and out a few times-no difference. Parking break engaged or not – no difference. The steering wheel isn’t locked.

Dealer seems mystified. Help much appreciated.
I had the exact same problem in my 2007 GT3. I heard a click but the starter didn't turn over. Sometimes it took 20 turns of the ignition key to finally turn over. Your getting power to the starter solenoid otherwise you wouldn't hear the click so your clutch switch, steering lock or any of those types of issues are not your problem.
My problem was a bad starter which I changed and all has been good since. The Bosch part number on the new starter was changed so they apparently updated the part.
Before you spend the money on a new starter just make sure there's no corrosion on any electrical connection between the battery and the starter that would affect the voltage getting to the starter and make sure all connections are tight.

Last edited by Bruce; 06-28-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:49 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gordon9898
I recall reading on this forum that the 997 has a known issue with the battery cable being flaky and needing replacing. I think there is a tsb for it.

That's true but the issue usually manifest itself while attempting to start a hot engine. Cold starting wasn't usually an issue. Voltage drop test would confirm a cable or connection issue. If there is no appreciable voltage drop (.5 volts or less ) at battery vs alternator + terminal I'd vote for bad starter solenoid.