6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

Wont go past 4500 RPM !!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 03:59 AM
j.i.i is on a distinguished road
Wont go past 4500 RPM !!

I have a 2012 991.1 carrera s 7 speed manual with 41k miles on it and something unusual happened.
the first time it happens the car won't activate sport plus mode and when driving the power cuts of at 4500 rpm as it feels like it hits the rev limiter at 4500 rpm! with no massages on the dash at all, I turned the car off for 10 minutes and restarted it and it drove fine for the next week.
today when I drove the car the same thing happened and it allowed me to activate sport plus mode but, when shifting into 1st to get the car going it felt like its out of power and want to shut off, I turned the car off and restarted it and it drove fine !

has anyone had the same issue ?

advice me please

Last edited by j.i.i; 03-11-2019 at 04:18 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:16 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by j.i.i
I have a 2012 991.1 carrera s 7 speed manual with 41k miles on it and something unusual happened.
the first time it happens the car won't activate sport plus mode and when driving the power cuts of at 4500 rpm as it feels like it hits the rev limiter at 4500 rpm! with no massages on the dash at all, I turned the car off for 10 minutes and restarted it and it drove fine for the next week.
today when I drove the car the same thing happened and it allowed me to activate sport plus mode but, when shifting into 1st to get the car going it felt like its out of power and want to shut off, I turned the car off and restarted it and it drove fine !

has anyone had the same issue ?

advice me please
My WAG is there's an intermittent sensor issue that a power cycle corrects, at least for a while. The sensor acting up in some way puts the car in some kind of limp mode.

With a suitable OBD2 code reader you might find a pending error code which if present can point you to the sensor.

In some cases it is the crankshaft position sensor. In other cases the MAF is at fault.

Really I don't think there is anything you can do on your driveway to address this. Best advice is be sure you can reproduce the behavior and take it to the Porsche dealer. I suspect you are not the first to show up with this symptom and the techs (senior ones at least) will have encountered this before.