911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

911 3.2 Carrera Advice.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM
MarioCorrea is on a distinguished road
911 3.2 Carrera Advice.

I purchased early 2012 a 1985 911 Carrera. I imported it to my home country and I currently drive it once or twice a week.
I changed the stock Chip, put a cat bypass and M&K Muffler.
The replacement chip was an Steve Wong unit, that had to be returned for re mapping since Bogotá is 2.600 Meters above the sea level. The mixture was toooooo rich. today it runs great.
I want to know if somebody can advise about the Oil type used in these engines. Is new Synthetic Oil recommended? or Should I backdate to Multigrade Mineral?

thanks for the info!

Old 12-22-2012, 03:12 AM
Davo67 will become famous soon enough
Hi, congrats on your purchase I love my old 3.2

It will largely depend on what oil has been used at servicing in the past. If it's had full synthetic from new or near new stick with that or change to a semi synthetic. How many miles has the car covered ? Do you have the service records so you can get in contact with where it was previously serviced and find out what oil they used ?

My indie uses a semi synthetic in my 85 3.2 as these older air cooled engines do tend to use a bit more oil between services and it is a little thicker.

Enjoy and drive it hard

Old 12-24-2012, 07:45 AM
Thks for the reply!!
I´m not sure about the oil since the records don´t show the oil type.
the car has 85.000 miles and excellent compression. however since the last oil change ( the first in my hands) the car started to leak heavily!!!
maybe the full synthetic (5w-40) is very liquid.. the next change I think will be to 10w-40. we don´t have very cold start ups here I think.

Very nice GT3, my dream car, Mezger engine, not so racy, and extremely beautiful.

merry christmas from Bogotá!

Old 12-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Davo67 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by MarioCorrea
Thks for the reply!!
I´m not sure about the oil since the records don´t show the oil type.
the car has 85.000 miles and excellent compression. however since the last oil change ( the first in my hands) the car started to leak heavily!!!
maybe the full synthetic (5w-40) is very liquid.. the next change I think will be to 10w-40. we don´t have very cold start ups here I think.

Very nice GT3, my dream car, Mezger engine, not so racy, and extremely beautiful.

merry christmas from Bogotá!

I think the full synthetic is a little too thin for the old air cooled engines, so as I said I'd put a semi synthetic or good quality mineral oil in there and see how you go.

Thanks, I also love my GT3.

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Congrats on your purchase, I would love to see some pictures of this beauty I would consider a Brad Penn Premium Oil Service Kit.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the Reply

I will change to semi synthetic for the next oil change, Do you know if there is a official importer for Brad Penn oils in my country?

Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
That's a great looking 85' you have Do you usually get a group together on the weekends and go for a trip ? We should be able to ship to you, as far as in Colombia not positive of any suppliers.