951 Winter Progress...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Only 5SPEED
MPD47 will become famous soon enoughMPD47 will become famous soon enough
Ok, weight comparisons for now, photo update shortly.

944 Stock torsion assembly - 82lbs
Kokeln Unit - 30lbs

951 Trans yoke (with Kokeln solid mount) - 9lbs
968 Trans yoke (with rubber stock mounts) - 14lbs

951 trans - 129lbs
968 trans - 157lbs

Hvac = 33lbs

Originally Posted by MPD47
Okayyyy, here's today's photo update.

Lots of stuff that should be in the rear of my car. Quaife is going out to be remanned (to be safe) and then sold here on rennlist. Broken gearset (replaced by 968 transaxle which is in the background), fuel tank (being replaced by fuel cell), and... oh yeah, that's my floor.

Oh yeah, cut out the floor, and spare tire well. I still have LOTS of trimming to do, and some more cutting.

And I leave you with a random photo of me doing some construction at a friend's apartment.

:roflmao:

Old 03-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Only 5SPEED
Before:

After:

Still lots of trim work to do.

Got all the timming/cutting done, just need to go back through with the grinder and smooth out the edges now. Then it's back to stripping the underbody coating, and hopefully getting the torque tube and rear suspension back in sometime in the next 10 days.
Cutting the floor out was an interesting experience.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:30 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Mmmm Blue Moon.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Only 5SPEED
Okay, here we go!

What's that peaking out?

Oooooo started putting stuff back ON the car. Rare in my line of 951 work

Pulled the fuel and brake lines off. Fuel lines will be replaced, brake lines will be inspected and reinstalled. Dont mind the floor clutter.

Put the front 3 piece Lindsey Crossmember in.

I'm working on these 3 bundles of wires this week. The main power wires are being rerouted in front of where the HVAC would go (but still out of the main engine compartment), the 14 pin connector will be under the dash, and we're rewiring the main harness for the turn signals/radiator fans/etc and moving it down to the frame rail.

Tomorrow I'll be drilling the spot welds and pulling these two brackets off as I havent used them in 2 years.

That's all for today, back to stripping undercoating. I'm hoping to finish the 4 wheel wells in the next 2 weeks so I can drop it back down on it's suspension. I'm also trying to figure out what combination of 968 crossmember/951 crossmember/solid mount/hanger/rubber mount I can use with my 968 trans for optimum height.
I'm hoping to get the car back on it's wheels so I can get it out and pressure wash the engine bay.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Only 5SPEED
Small update for tonight.

Pulling the ONE bolt out of the block I snapped (one of the ones for the water pump). Figures it's always one that's a PITA. I had tried to double nut it and spray it and heat it earlier in the week. Chris heated it and tried to use vice grips, then he welded the nut to it (it snapped) then he welded bar stock as I twisted it counter clockwise which almost got it. Ended up drilling it out.

We also finished putting the pistons in and coated bearings I should have the oil pump, pickup, and pan put on this week. The head is being refreshed and then it'll be put back on. Only 22 days to go....
More engine work.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Only 5SPEED

Nasty Edge from cutting in the rear of the car.

Cleaning up said edge.

Much better, smooth to the touch (so I wont slice my hand open on it).

Wheel well finally stripped, doesnt look pretty but I'll be sanding it and spraying it black soon. Then the suspension goes back in. The car WILL be back down on it's wheels next week. Big progress when that happens

Euro Pistons 10.6:1 vs US Spec 9.5:1
I laughed alittle at the face in the pistons.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Only 5SPEED
:roflmao:

As usual the weekend was up with Brent "working" on the RX7, but I brought my front suspension with me to the other house and tore it down and went through it, hoping to have the front wheel wells painted and front suspension on tomorrow. If all goes well, the block will be in and the car will be on the ground this week. (Minus the fuel system and a complete exhaust)

:thumbup:

I dont remember what these images were when I pasted the tags, so I'm just going to make random commentary like "Working on the car".

Old 03-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Only 5SPEED
Another small update, though I'm not sure why I continually post "Small update" they all are small picture wise despite the hours upon hours I spend in the garage. heh.

Anyway...

Stripped out wheel well, with the 4 studs remaining to mount the fender liner (which I havent used in years).

So I cut all the studs off and grinded them metal fender well down flush.

Ready to paint.

A HUGE step forward.

The 968 brake scoops Ive been using in conjunction with the big ducts to the hats. Need to grab some new hardware and put those on tomorrow.

Passangers side, painted but waiting to dry.

Tomorrow I'll be installing the steering rack, passangers suspension, and front sway. Hoping to also pull the dash and start rewiring and maybe finish stripping undercoating in the rear. Big list, let's see how much I actually get done.
Mmmmm suspension.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Only 5SPEED
I wont be sand blasting, as I'm not redoing the whole chassis right now. Certain bits are being kept.

Today's update, got a TON done today, started working with suspension and went from there.

Got the passangers front suspension in after an extra coat of black.

Motor mounts and steering rack install, after cleaning up the steering shaft and greasing the u-joints.

Tossed a wheel on just for fun

Started stripping the interior out again, removed the HVAC (which was full of leaves and what not, see the following photo) Started working on the wiring. I talked with my wiring guy (haha, my father) and he's going to help me create a new harness for the car, it's basically going to retain lights, wheel stalks, cooling fans, gauges, and that's about it. So we're removing the factory fuse box.

Nasty HVAC stuff, weighed in at 33lbs.

So yeah, that's about it for today, I did do some underbody stripping in the rear of the car, but nothing to make note of. Probably going to attack the wiring again tomorrow.

Annnnnnd, that brings us up to current. More updates almost nightly!

Old 03-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Only 5SPEED
Originally Posted by LUIS95993
Very cool. Been there done that. That torque tube/tranny/clutch job is a pain in the *** if you do it a t home. Keep us updated on the project.
Originally Posted by LUIS95993
Mmmm Blue Moon.
So Luis' comments dont get lost, since he jumped the gun on replying

Old 03-08-2007, 12:39 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Thanks

Old 03-08-2007, 01:09 PM
pozican is on a distinguished road
Well, now I think I'm the only *active* 5speeder left on here

Old 03-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Only 5SPEED
Gonna toss up a few photos while I'm inside warming up. Should be heading back out shortly, I'm going to eat dinner first though.

Fun

Hey, 39lbs of wiring (but that's less than stock would be as I had already pulled the engine harness and the harness to the rear of the car is still sitting in the hatch).

More updates coming in a few hours. Should be pulling the tar I didnt get last time off the floor boards and doing more underbody stripping.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:43 PM
pozican is on a distinguished road
Holy ****, that looks a little stripped....

Old 03-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Only 5SPEED

Well that was fun..... Tomorrow, cleanup!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 951 Winter Progress...