My spoiler is confusing me!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 03:03 PM
Nwills is on a distinguished road
My spoiler is confusing me!!!

The owners manual clearly states that the spoiler has two positions. Down and up.

Today while driving in sport mode I noticed it going to what looked like a third position!

I had the spoiler button engaged and the rear spoiler was lifted as it normally is with the button pressed but every time I went above 80mph it lifted even higher! A third highest position! The moment I dropped below 80 it went back down to the normal deployed position that I get when engaging the spoiler button.

I tried this a bunch of times and it seemed like the spoiler was in fact raising to a third position which was higher than I had ever seen.

Later that day I was unable to reproduce this. It was back to the standard deployed position it has always been!

Was I imagining this!?

Old 05-18-2014, 03:42 PM
DaveChapin is on a distinguished road
There are three positions according to the brochure... Start, Speed, and Performance

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BrochurePAA.png
Views:	205
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	376027  
Old 05-18-2014, 03:49 PM
It seems like the third position is variable? It can have a more aggressive angle depending on speed?

I haven't been able to identify the second position...according to the brochure the second position simply lifts the wing by a few mm from it's all the way down position.

Has anyone been able to truly determine the specific rear wing positions?

I'm very curious about the extreme extended and tilted position I saw today for the first time after 1000 miles of driving!

Old 05-18-2014, 03:53 PM
Here is a copy and paste from an article I found describing the active aerodynamics:

"Front and rear spoilers pop out in stages: the first extension, of outer front spoiler elements and 25mm on the rear wing, occurs at 75mph. The second ‘performance’ setup kicks in when you select ‘Sport Plus’: the front middle spoiler extends and the rear wing grows by 75mm AND extends forwards seven degrees. Full attack mode: at 186mph, it adds more than 140kg of downforce and makes the car two seconds faster around the Nurburgring"

Old 05-19-2014, 06:19 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
No, you weren't imagining it. The spoiler also adjusts based on the position of your sunroof, there is a fourth higher position engaged at higher speeds when the sunroof is open.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...eployment.html

From the Service Information Technik - 911 Turbo - Turbo S document:

"The variable aerodynamics of the 911 Turbo models offer further adaptability in
addition to the functions and advantages described here. If the slide/tilt roof option
changes the aerodynamics when the roof is opened, the rear wing is extended higher
and tilted earlier or further in the ‘Speed’ and ‘Performance’ positions."

Last edited by AJag; 05-19-2014 at 07:31 AM.