997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Help - retract. rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 06:04 PM
markj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the rough
Help - retract. rear spoiler

2011 c4S. Owner's manual says the rear spoiler goes up at certain speeds, down at certain speed, etc. Says touch button at 60 mph or faster, and spoiler will go up and stay on 'auto'.

My spoiler works by manually touching/holding the button depending on the speed, as it is supposed to.

But it never works automatically? For example, if i just touch the button while going over 60 mph, it will go up; but after I get to my garage and kill the engine, it is still up, never goes down?

Doing something wrong?

Old 09-26-2015, 09:07 PM
sneth is on a distinguished road
I think you have automatic and manual confused.

It will automatically go up at ~70mph without intervention. It will then automatically retract when you go below this speed.

It will go up if you manually select to it raise. You will have to manually select it to retract if you pressed the button.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:28 PM
markj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the rough
I am confused. I understand that I can manually raise it, but owner's manual says it will then switch to automatic.

Maybe it did not go down when I got home b/c of engine heat?

Maybe PO disabled the auto function?

Any guidance appreciated

Old 09-27-2015, 10:28 AM
Berosucci will become famous soon enoughBerosucci will become famous soon enough
I have a 997.2 and the spoiler raises and lowers based on temp and speed - i read this in the manual when i got the car. Despite this I believe it would always be closed when you park if on auto. I did not see anything about it returning to "auto" after using the button.

I have never been able to verify the spoiler has ever opened and closed while driving, though. I can't see it. I know the button works since I raise the spoiler to clean in the seams when washing the car.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:48 PM
Ok, I will be Honest, I am an idiot.

Today, wife rode in backseat and watched and spoiler worked fine per owner's manual. I guess I should have done that before posting, and trying to diagnose a problem that did not exist !!!

Old 09-27-2015, 03:16 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I think I understand what you are seeing,,,,, let me try...
If I raise mine with the button and stop it still stays up like you describe. I noticed that after maybe two startups (never really watched closely) it will go back down on it s own. So I m sure it s normal. Plus I believe that if it s not working properly you will get a message on the dash.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:05 PM
After reading and putting wife in the backseat, all works fine. Never got a 'fault' message, now I know why!

Old 09-28-2015, 06:44 AM
phily911 has a spectacular aura aboutphily911 has a spectacular aura aboutphily911 has a spectacular aura about
This is ! I dont think any of us believe the spoiler auto goes up and down because we can never see it. I am always trying to glance at my reflection off the car next to me to make sure its working!

Originally Posted by markj
Ok, I will be Honest, I am an idiot.

Today, wife rode in backseat and watched and spoiler worked fine per owner's manual. I guess I should have done that before posting, and trying to diagnose a problem that did not exist !!!

Old 10-05-2015, 05:25 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I can sit high in the seat and just see the edge of the spoiler come up in the rear window - it's hard to see though, but can be done!

Old 10-05-2015, 06:27 PM
you must be tall I will crash if I try that.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:06 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
5'8" - not too tall - I just have to get my but up a bit

Old 10-06-2015, 06:58 PM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Usually after I wash my car I raise the spoiler to dry it and it stays up until I either manually lower it or I go over the raise/lower limit. Case in point, washed card Saturday, drove to store and home, 35mph or less - spoiler stayed up; drove to office on I95, over 75mph - spoiler lowered when stopped at light getting off I95.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:24 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Just do this instead

Attached Images