Thinking about a Turbo...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Thinking about a Turbo...

Not an 'S'. If I'm spending that kind of money, I'm getting a MP4-12C.

That said, those of you guys that have owned 997.2s, do you think the 991TT is worth the extra $30-$40k over a low-mileage '11-'12 Turbo S? Great deals on those cars right now, so I'm looking for advice. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2014, 05:11 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
I see there's a 2011 997.2 Turbo S cab for $98K asking at Paul Miller. 42K miles but still - that seems like a deal with all those options.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
I'd want less than 10k miles. I've seen a few in the $115-$120k'ish range. Tempting.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Fixinbones is infamous around these partsFixinbones is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I'd want less than 10k miles. I've seen a few in the $115-$120k'ish range. Tempting.
Pretty good value if you ask me. I was gonna do a 997.2 TT but slowly got sucked into the 991 TT wind!!

Old 06-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Fixinbones
Pretty good value if you ask me. I was gonna do a 997.2 TT but slowly got sucked into the 991 TT wind!!
Ha! That's what I'm afraid of

Old 06-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
You know cars better than almost anyone here--- I think your test drive (if you haven't done one) will help you decide.

I had a 997.1 TT and 997.2 TT (non S) and did the EvomsIT and cargraphic exhaust and the car was relatively fast. It was faster than a stock S (997) and a great car. I now have a 991 TT-S tuned (GIAC) and the car is lights out and faster than my modded 997.2 TT. You will no doubt mod your car so a 991 TT makes sense if you are able to endure the pricing. My thoughts are the at the 991 chassis is dynamically more advanced than the 997. The wider wheel base, longer base, with lower roof line creates a much more firm and response ride. The steering is on point where as my 997.2 was slightly neutral. Others will disagree but I am on my 2nd 991 chassis, the stability at triple digit speeds and lack of nose bobble is incredible in comparo. Another large advancement is actually with the interior and comfortability. I liked the 997 (both iterations) but the 991 is Panamera like in nature. Just more refined so you get the beauty and the beast. But the chassis sold it for me and for you- the octane is better where you live so in stock format a 991 TT non S will kill it and then a simple GIAC tune will put you around 128-129 trappers and 2.5 zero to 60's Im not sure about a tuned 60-130 Non S though. Tom at Champion probably does.

One can always get a used high price car for less but then you are getting the older model and you will be asking "what if". So if the pricing is tolerable get the 991 TT non S IMHO. I got the S because it was the only Guards Red available when I was looking and the dealer made me a fair offer. Good luck and either way you will get a solid P car.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:20 PM
enzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vic55
You know cars better than almost anyone here--- I think your test drive (if you haven't done one) will help you decide.

I had a 997.1 TT and 997.2 TT (non S) and did the EvomsIT and cargraphic exhaust and the car was relatively fast. It was faster than a stock S (997) and a great car. I now have a 991 TT-S tuned (GIAC) and the car is lights out and faster than my modded 997.2 TT. You will no doubt mod your car so a 991 TT makes sense if you are able to endure the pricing. My thoughts are the at the 991 chassis is dynamically more advanced than the 997. The wider wheel base, longer base, with lower roof line creates a much more firm and response ride. The steering is on point where as my 997.2 was slightly neutral. Others will disagree but I am on my 2nd 991 chassis, the stability at triple digit speeds and lack of nose bobble is incredible in comparo. Another large advancement is actually with the interior and comfortability. I liked the 997 (both iterations) but the 991 is Panamera like in nature. Just more refined so you get the beauty and the beast. But the chassis sold it for me and for you- the octane is better where you live so in stock format a 991 TT non S will kill it and then a simple GIAC tune will put you around 128-129 trappers and 2.5 zero to 60's Im not sure about a tuned 60-130 Non S though. Tom at Champion probably does.

One can always get a used high price car for less but then you are getting the older model and you will be asking "what if". So if the pricing is tolerable get the 991 TT non S IMHO. I got the S because it was the only Guards Red available when I was looking and the dealer made me a fair offer. Good luck and either way you will get a solid P car.

Great assessment from a guy who knows his cars. Can't wait for my TT to arrive. Build completion date moved up from 7/4 to 6/20.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:25 PM
cephas is infamous around these parts
I am also thinking the S is overpriced and the non-S with a tune is the way to go.
Seems the non-S got 98% of the car already but not the 30% higher price.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:12 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
I have a friend who upgraded from a 997.2 turbo cab to a 991 turbo s cab. He could swear that the improvement is very noticeable. He loved his previous car, but his current one has allowed him to totally forget his previous one.

My opinion is that the 991 looks better than the 997. The rear wheel steering and pdcc help improve the performance on the twisties.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:33 PM
jlee504 is infamous around these parts
i actually spent a lot of time shopping for a 12C Spyder before I got my 911 TTS Cab.

it really is two different cars, I almost bought one at tysons but i needed a back seat and i decided i didn't want the attention either. the spyder also isnt a real convertible.

a 911 is also more suitable for day to day.

and the price difference between a Turbo and a TTS isn't that much depending on how you would option the Turbo out. the leather back on the seats, the carbon fber trim, stuff like that is all standard. I spec'd out a Turbo and was above a Turbo S at the end.

Jeff

Old 06-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Vic55

Vic - thanks, brother. I couldn't have asked for a better reply than this one. I think I'll set my sights on a slightly used 991 TT. Also, I definitely see the advantages of getting an 'S' over a regular TT, but the current prices exceed my self-imposed limit for a bone stock car.

Thanks again, my friend. Much appreciated.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by jlee504
i actually spent a lot of time shopping for a 12C Spyder before I got my 911 TTS Cab.

it really is two different cars, I almost bought one at tysons but i needed a back seat and i decided i didn't want the attention either. the spyder also isnt a real convertible.

a 911 is also more suitable for day to day.

and the price difference between a Turbo and a TTS isn't that much depending on how you would option the Turbo out. the leather back on the seats, the carbon fber trim, stuff like that is all standard. I spec'd out a Turbo and was above a Turbo S at the end.

Jeff
Great info, Jeff. Thank you.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:15 AM
enzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond repute
Vic - thanks, brother. I couldn't have asked for a better reply than this one. I think I'll set my sights on a slightly used 991 TT. Also, I definitely see the advantages of getting an 'S' over a regular TT, but the current prices exceed my self-imposed limit for a bone stock car.

Thanks again, my friend. Much appreciated.
I'm with you. If I could have swung an "S", I would have. I am proud to own a TT, but not trying to justify it by debating which is the better buy. I am sure I will love it.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:26 PM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
That said, those of you guys that have owned 997.2s, do you think the 991TT is worth the extra $30-$40k over a low-mileage '11-'12 Turbo S?
If you make 30 or 40k a month or, better yet, a week, yes. Otherwise, no. Like all 911's, the 991 is a bit better and a bit faster.

If your retirement isn't yet funded, enjoy the 997, it's an amazing car. In fact, one passed me this morning and I thought: 'holy chit, that's an exotic car!'.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by jamie
If you make 30 or 40k a month or, better yet, a week, yes. Otherwise, no. Like all 911's, the 991 is a bit better and a bit faster.

If your retirement isn't yet funded, enjoy the 997, it's an amazing car. In fact, one passed me this morning and I thought: 'holy chit, that's an exotic car!'.
Thanks, Jamie. You make some great points. I appreciate your input.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Turbo...