Another exhaust thread - but it's different, I swear

Old 08-25-2015, 01:15 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !

Ok so I have used the searched function. I have read and listened to most clips albeit I think for me the clips are worthless because I know in person most will sound different. Also most threads are talking about the HP gains and sound only. Not many talk about drone or "non sport" mode.

I have to pass the wife test and here is what I am looking for in order of importance.
1. Must have no drone at highway speed.
2. Must sound like stock exhaust in non sport or sport plus mode. When just crusing around with the wife with the top down we need to be able to carry on a convo or listen to music.
3. When sport plus is pressed, that is well "when the magic happens". It sounds more like a high dollar exotic.
4. Lastly, cool circular quad tips in either chrome or black but get rid of the stock tips.
5. Would like it to stay CA smog legal, I get technically no after market exhaust is supposed to pass the visual test but most will if it passes the sniffer test.

I would love to be like Money and go through 5 or so exhaust's like he did on his GT3 but I neither have the money or time to do that.

Does this exhaust exist out there?

Old 08-25-2015, 01:25 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Europipe may be the best option for you. Off the top of my head I'm unaware of any aftermarket systems that utilize valve control for sound.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:32 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
My first suggestion would be the Akrapovic system...

It does not have quad tips but does have carbon fiber shrouds around the tips.
This video gives a pretty good representation of how much it loudens up when put in sport mode. Also, this is actually a CARB legal system.

Either that or maybe the Techart system...

https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...150833988.html

Old 08-25-2015, 02:46 PM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
Hello Goin2drt, we recently installed an Akrapovic Exhaust to a 991 GT3 and we thought you'd might enjoy this video. Feel free to PM us and we'll be more than glad to help you out on details and pricing for this setup.

- David Nussbaum -
786 249 0127 (ext.2109)
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: David@wheelsboutique.com
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:24 PM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
I have the FVD Brombacher sound version with 200 cell cats and my main concern was also passing the wife test.

it's very loud in sport/plus mode with lots of pops and burbles.

but with her I run it in non-sport mode and even with the top down as long as the RPMs are kept reasonable (under 4k), we can have a convo or listen to music. if I really hit the gas, it gets a bit loud, but no pops or burbles (which she hates).

it's definitely louder than stock even in non-sport mode, but if you don't have anything to compare it to or once you drive it like that for a while and get used to it, it's fine. and my wife has some of the most sensitive ears ever.

the other option you could look at is the FVD Brombacher non-sound version, which is significantly quieter, but still should provide some increased sound in sport/plus mode.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:52 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
You sort of described a Kline 200cel system lol. I am in CA also. I Would love to offer you our 2.5 quiet system to try and extend the SamboTT By Design Guarantee. I bet by your post that you will LOVE it! We have 2 steps up in sound from there also. This is a true Jekyll Hyde set up like you want. No drone guaranteed! Wife will also love the docile sound and factory like idle. It actually sounds better than stock when cruising in normal mode. More refined, exotic and smooth. It's there but not. Sounds like it should have come on the car. The design even incorporates the same twin out set-up like factory. Tips are limited. With this system factory works and we are working on a 991 carbon tip too. CA emission is a funny game. Nothing but stock is OK. But we have options although it will run smooth and clean.

Feel free to pm or text me. Nothing to lose. I will work with you and guide you A-Z if you like and swap to whatever you decide if you aren't satisfied 100%! We can also sort a sweet package for you. Doing 3 more now so lots more feedback to come!

It sounds exactly as it looks...

Cheers,
Sam

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 08-25-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:14 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
That's funny I thought I would not get any replies because people would say I could not get all those things and I was in search of a unicorn.

So no help so far

I have a vote for Europipe, two for Akro, FVB and Kline.

I guess the Akro looks nice but not sure as no pics of the non diffuser yet. If it wasn't a perfect fit it would drive me nuts.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:56 PM
Mini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to all
I found this one. IPE valved exhaust. $3500 for the exhaust with cats and another $800 or so for headers which the one in the video has

Old 08-25-2015, 09:45 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
LOL it does sound like a unicorn but I know what you mean. There are so many things to consider and the wife factor always adds to it. All of the systems mentioned are great. It's tough to choose sometimes. One thing that helps with Kline Innovation is having 3 size offerings and multiple canister styles as well as several Cat/Decat options per style. A good chat with an experienced tuner/re-seller will help weed out what may not fit you and hopefully what will fit you best.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:41 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !

Here is a clip of my Europipe in action. Best to hear on a real stereo or car stereo.

Europipe from inside the car is about as loud as stock at idle or at low RPMs. At high RPMs especially in sport and sport plus it is about 20 percent louder than stock with lots of waste gate and turbo noise and lots of popping when you back off the throttle after being on it. The tone of EP is lower pitched than stock. Also, no check engine light. EP uses stock exhaust tips so if you are looking for an exhaust with round tips, EP is not it. EP is best known for its very high build quality -- ask Porsche mechanics about it and they will confirm that.

Outside the car it is a lot louder than stock but not as loud as the loudest exhausts. If you wanted very loud Tubi Catless race exhaust comes to mind.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:07 AM
Thanks SDG so EP is out they don't tick number 4 on the list.

I think for now Akro is out as well. Not that I am against the single outlet I just need to see a live shot of it mounted without the diffuser so I guess I will wait, unless of course they read this post and want me to be the guinea pig by offering a killer discount

I like the Kline idea and the guarantee but no tips yet for that exhaust so might need to wait.

The search and ideas continue. Where is that unicorn?

Old 08-26-2015, 08:25 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Goin2drt
Thanks SDG so EP is out they don't tick number 4 on the list.

I think for now Akro is out as well. Not that I am against the single outlet I just need to see a live shot of it mounted without the diffuser so I guess I will wait, unless of course they read this post and want me to be the guinea pig by offering a killer discount

I like the Kline idea and the guarantee but no tips yet for that exhaust so might need to wait.

The search and ideas continue. Where is that unicorn?
Ummm you are aware the tips can be changed and can be purchased independently if you want circular tips. EP just chooses to reuse the stock ones.

Last edited by tommyboy214; 08-26-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:09 AM
Former Vendor
+1
The tips could be a dealbreaker for you. They are separate and can be done later. There may not be anything that matches all five criteria on one go.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by tommyboy214
Ummm you are aware the tips can be changed and can be purchased independently if you want circular tips. EP just chooses to reuse the stock ones.
Oh it sounded like from the post EP doesn't have the ability to put on different tips. BTW sorry for the ignorance on the tip thing, I am no mechanic and have not even looked at the stock exhaust. If any type tip can fit any type exhaust then number 4 should be removed from my list because it is a non issue. I will buy the exhaust I like and the tips I like indepentantly.

Thanks for the clarification.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:47 PM
justthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by vividracing
My first suggestion would be the Akrapovic system...

Worlds 1st Porsche 991 Turbo (S) w/ Akrapovic Sport Exhaust - YouTube

It does not have quad tips but does have carbon fiber shrouds around the tips.
This video gives a pretty good representation of how much it loudens up when put in sport mode. Also, this is actually a CARB legal system.

Either that or maybe the Techart system...

https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...150833988.html
Vivid - do you have to use the round tips, or can you stick with stock? Also, is this a bolt-on using stock cats?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another exhaust thread - but it's different, I swear