Vivid Racing : Porsche 991 Turbo ECU Comparison - Cobb, GIAC, VR Tuned

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 06:22 AM
Jeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud of
If I had to guess. Here in the states we have only had 1 option-Giac-for an Obd-2 plug and play tune. It does suck it has to be taken to a dealer for install. I imagine in any business one would "sell" what makes them different or sell why I should buy their product. Makes sense to me. I was happy with EVO back thru 02-06 extremely. Now my options were pretty much Giac 1 year ago. I think it's great that Cobb has this tune and AP. Graphs from what I hear as a non educated consumer can be manipulated, different Dynos, well 50 different ways to say something-IM NOT IMPLYING INTENTIONAL DECEPTION.
.. Should I do headers. Should I do a y pipe. Should I do plenum. EP. CATLESS. what makes it so hard is that we can't just go to the dealership and drive the euro pipe car with the G.I. AC and then the euro pipe car with the toq be Katlas and then one with the Plenum and then one without the Plenum but the list goes on and on I for one look forward to more of the unbiased representations of the more reputable enthusiasts here on the board that share their own personal experience not necessarily of the dragstrip or on their own friends or shops Dynos but those of how the car felt touring around putting in sport mailing it after Rado what heartfelt more responsive and more enjoyable to drive and more aggressive from their style of driving which is easy to explain I had a tubi CATLESS. I got an EP. Sold it after selling my car and now bought another 991 TTS and am buying another EP Other option r there along with same ones. For my style of driving I'm not looking to be the fastest as Ricky Bobbys daddy eventually told us that stuff he had said back in grade school was all bull**** anyways Most of the enthusiasts that I've spoken to on here I'm sure would have no problem after driving a Cobb tune car as opposed to their GAC tune car going to Cobb if their product provide a better driving experience not just faster if you drove the same driving experience or better it was faster I'm sure none of these guys would have a problem paying to switch

Last edited by Jeff Kay; 09-26-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by webcarconnection
Tom, I just notice that most all the time that someone post something negative about GIAC you are the only one doing "the talking" and it's great that you back it up with great info, but where are the guys of GIAC? I mean is not that they start a "keyboard fight" but just a little chime in will be fare.
In my cases, especially the 997.2 and 991 Turbo, we are heavily involved with the development of the software with GIAC. In 2014 we provided the first Turbo and Turbo S for GIAC development. We aslo provided spare ECU's before they were available from Porsche for decrypting and coding. Then we spent 100's of hours dyno testing, road testing, data logging, and trail/error with our own 2 cars, together with GIAC to develop the different levels of software that we offer. Our partnership with GIAC is very strong.

I defend GIAC so heavily for two reasons. For one, we are partners and friends. I have the highest level of respect for the amount of knowledge and engineering expertise they offer when it comes to performance tuning. Second, my team here at Champion is one of the most devoted and dedicated group of people I know. We take SO much pride in everything we offer to our customers. It's not only business to us, we treat our customers and industry partners like family. We don't bash others' products and when we have an opportunity to say something negative about another product, we try to remember that those are also hard-working people with families and responsibilities of their own...so we bite our tongues and take the higher road. I always try my best to put my best foot forward and maintain my composure on the forums, but there are a lot of things in this industry that go on behind the scenes that many of you don't see, and sometimes I let my frustration show. I apologize for that when it happens.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:44 PM
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
Good post Tom... In my case I consider Mitch my friend, and I saw all the hard work they put in his products... And the CS in COBB is out of this world. So in some way I can relate with your words

Old 09-26-2015, 02:56 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Well said Tom. I mentioned in another thread that hopefully we can bring this form back from the weird place it got to.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:56 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Good post Tom... In my case I consider Mitch my friend, and I saw all the hard work they put in his products... And the CS in COBB is out of this world. So in some way I can relate with your words
I agree. Cobb rapidly responded to and fixed my friend's issue. As in immediately. That is excellent customer service. Similarly. Champion and GIAC worked together very hard on my car through countless dyno runs to make it faster.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:00 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jeff Kay
If I had to guess. Here in the states we have only had 1 option-Giac-for an Obd-2 plug and play tune. It does suck it has to be taken to a dealer for install. I imagine in any business one would "sell" what makes them different or sell why I should buy their product. Makes sense to me. I was happy with EVO back thru 02-06 extremely. Now my options were pretty much Giac 1 year ago. I think it's great that Cobb has this tune and AP. Graphs from what I hear as a non educated consumer can be manipulated, different Dynos, well 50 different ways to say something-IM NOT IMPLYING INTENTIONAL DECEPTION.
.. Should I do headers. Should I do a y pipe. Should I do plenum. EP. CATLESS. what makes it so hard is that we can't just go to the dealership and drive the euro pipe car with the G.I. AC and then the euro pipe car with the toq be Katlas and then one with the Plenum and then one without the Plenum but the list goes on and on I for one look forward to more of the unbiased representations of the more reputable enthusiasts here on the board that share their own personal experience not necessarily of the dragstrip or on their own friends or shops Dynos but those of how the car felt touring around putting in sport mailing it after Rado what heartfelt more responsive and more enjoyable to drive and more aggressive from their style of driving which is easy to explain I had a tubi CATLESS. I got an EP. Sold it after selling my car and now bought another 991 TTS and am buying another EP Other option r there along with same ones. For my style of driving I'm not looking to be the fastest as Ricky Bobbys daddy eventually told us that stuff he had said back in grade school was all bull**** anyways Most of the enthusiasts that I've spoken to on here I'm sure would have no problem after driving a Cobb tune car as opposed to their GAC tune car going to Cobb if their product provide a better driving experience not just faster if you drove the same driving experience or better it was faster I'm sure none of these guys would have a problem paying to switch
Well if you are ever in the NYC area you are welcome to try mine and see what you think.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:11 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Mitch worked for us many moons ago when he was just a fresh hippy from CO I can remember him shipping boxes in the cage next to the vinyl printer in little Vivid Racing 2 back in 2004ish. Good to see people movin on up!

Old 10-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Nfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud of
I see this thread got out of control a little, my 2cents:

I have giac stage 2. That said I absolutely love it. Huge improvement from stock. If the cobb (these guys are experts and should not be underestimated) start consistantly making more power and really beating us (giac) up on track events, GIAC will need to get back to the testing bench and really step up their game to compete. They may have already left some room on the table for more power for future updates.
To add about GIAC..the company has a wonderful long term track record w 911 turbos as far as reliability is concerned. I would assume cobb is reliable too, but its something to keep an eye on in the future, this goes for all tuners.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Thank you for the input