The ByDesign/Cobb Stage3 Results and the Precision Fit by ATXAutosport on the Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:13 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wrs
COTA Cancelled, it flooded like hell out there this morning and the track said no way for Sunday. They are giving us a makeup date by Tuesday. Oh well............

If it's clear I am going out to my favorite county road on Sunday with the Vbox.
My goodness you have had NO luck with the weather at all. Hope you can run on your
Fav road. Really appreciate all of your data and contributions

Old 10-30-2015, 07:22 PM
PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wrs
I think it's the water vapor in the air being condensed by the removal of heat from the air, like condensation on air conditioner coils.. I am just trying to remember this based on my two semesters of chemistry from 40 years ago as a freshman in college. We did not spray the intercoolers but I think what happens is that if you remove enough heat from the air, the water vapor in the air condenses and I think maybe it's properly called the latent heat of condensation, I may have misnamed the process. Water isn't in gaseous form in the air, it's present as a vapor and really those clouds are condensation due to removal of heat from the air. I may be describing that incorrectly.
You are sort of right except that the air being cooled is sealed inside the intercooler. The air passing over the outside of the intercooler is actually being heated up, not cooled.

This is the opposite of an air conditioning coil. With an AC coil the coil is colder than the air around it. An intercooler is warmer than the air around it.

- Patrick

Old 10-31-2015, 03:53 PM
PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !
WRS,

Did your installer have any suggestions for preventing the hose clamp from coming off again? I only ask because I will be doing the install myself and want to avoid needing to back-half the car again later to tighten up a slipped boost hose. You're lucky it happened on a dyno instead of out in the desert!

Thanks,
Patrick

Old 10-31-2015, 08:11 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PMNewton
WRS,

Did your installer have any suggestions for preventing the hose clamp from coming off again? I only ask because I will be doing the install myself and want to avoid needing to back-half the car again later to tighten up a slipped boost hose. You're lucky it happened on a dyno instead of out in the desert!

Thanks,
Patrick
I was planning to ask them on Monday.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:33 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
WRS,

Thanks,
Patrick
Happened on the road today and no error codes thrown, just a nasty sucking sound. I was just leaving ATXAutosport after visiting them for a rear end clunk sound that just showed up a couple of days ago. When I accelerated onto the freeway I heard this horrendous noise that I thought was some kind of rasping and then when it kept happening as I got on the gas I realized it was a sucking sound. So I turned around and took the car back.

What it seems is that the IPD Y-Pipe is more rigid than the OEM plastic connector is. They had run the car over the speed bump back and forth in the parking lot about twenty times to get to hear the intermittent rear end clunk. That may have caused the connector to become loose. What happens is that the hose and the Ypipe separate and the connector just slips back. I took some pictures.

They are keeping the car overnight and going to try and get a better clamp tomorrow. I don't know if you could use some silicon glue to get a better adherence between the hose and Y-pipe. Anyway, this does seem to be a problem that remains to be solved. In the pictures it appears the clamp is secure but on the bottom, the hose is not flush with the Ypipe as it is on top, they are angled apart by about 1/8 inch. So they have to be completely level when attached and then, if the Ypipe moves independently, it can cause the clamp to shift.

Attached Images   
Old 11-05-2015, 07:35 PM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
That sucks.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:37 PM
wrs
Originally Posted by shifter_
That sucks.
LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Literally. I am sure they will figure it out though.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:00 PM
Thanks for posting. I think the primary mode of failure is most likely the engine rocking back and forth under load. If I remember correctly, the Y-pipe is anchored to the bumper support so I don't think it's the Y-pipe moving around. Please update us on what clamp they come up with. A link to the product would be super. I'm looking at T-bolt clamps similar to what we used on aircraft.

Thanks,
- Patrick

Last edited by PMNewton; 11-05-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:27 PM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
My buddy shipped his car all the way to the Texas Mile only to have a IC hose come off before his first run and he was toast.

It sucks.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:00 PM
BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !
Lord oh lord...is that what I have to look forward to?

Old 11-06-2015, 05:11 AM
Originally Posted by BLOWN SRT
Lord oh lord...is that what I have to look forward to?
Don't panic. It's usually something simple.

- Patrick

Old 11-06-2015, 05:42 AM
wrs

- Patrick
That is what the board is for, one of us will find the solution and everyone can share it. I am hoping ATX will figure it out and I think they are looking at the Tbolt clamp if they can find the right one.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:49 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !

- Patrick
Seems like a teething issue that IPD or shops can fix.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:50 AM
jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wrs
Happened on the road today and no error codes thrown, just a nasty sucking sound. I was just leaving ATXAutosport after visiting them for a rear end clunk sound that just showed up a couple of days ago. When I accelerated onto the freeway I heard this horrendous noise that I thought was some kind of rasping and then when it kept happening as I got on the gas I realized it was a sucking sound. So I turned around and took the car back.
I had the EXACT same symptoms when my intake pipe came loose shortly after picking the car up. Turns out it was a defective part. I suppose any of the intake hoses could be loose and make the same sounds, so it might be a good idea to check them all even though you think it might be the IPD

Old 11-06-2015, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by jmorgan911
I had the EXACT same symptoms when my intake pipe came loose shortly after picking the car up. Turns out it was a defective part. I suppose any of the intake hoses could be loose and make the same sounds, so it might be a good idea to check them all even though you think it might be the IPD
Yes I remember it well -- right in the middle of a driving meet. And that was the stock parts. Which is why I said that at most it might be teething issues -- annoying but unlike turbo problems really minor.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The ByDesign/Cobb Stage3 Results and the Precision Fit by ATXAutosport on the Install