r888 on rear only?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 04:21 PM
cm09578 has a reputation beyond reputecm09578 has a reputation beyond reputecm09578 has a reputation beyond reputecm09578 has a reputation beyond reputecm09578 has a reputation beyond reputecm09578 has a reputation beyond reputecm09578 has a reputation beyond reputecm09578 has a reputation beyond reputecm09578 has a reputation beyond reputecm09578 has a reputation beyond reputecm09578 has a reputation beyond repute
r888 on rear only?

Who is running the r888's (315/30/20) on the rear wheels only? I would like to keep my stock wheels and stock pzero's up front. I want to be able to run on the street but also gain some more traction for 1/4 mile runs. Anyone running this setup? See any issues with running 2 different tires?

Old 01-04-2016, 04:35 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Lots are running that set up. Likely the best all-around compromise. Works well.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:39 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond repute
Though you don't see it in the German world often, it's very common in the American Muscle crowd. It's not uncommon to see Corvettes, Camaro's, Mustangs and so forth using let's say Nitto Invos up front and Nitto NT05R's on the rear for example or from even seeing Toyo R888's up front and a T1R up front or something else made by Toyo.

Other than the fact that in the turns you'll have rears gripper than the fronts which will increase understeer, there's no real issue. Since you're using this for 1/4 miles runs primarily, I wouldn't say there would be a problem, but I would be more cautious with the way the car handles if you took it on a road course or took a drive through some twisty roads spiritedly.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:29 PM
BigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud of
I was going to ask a similar question, what about Michelin PSS upfront & Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's in the rear? Interesting to see others have done variations already. Anybody daily drive it with mismatch front/rears because my car is a daily driver.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:50 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
It's tough to say because everything has a compromise. Even if Toyo made the tires for all four corners they are quite noisy. The MPSC2's are great for cornering when warm. For straight-line stuff off the jump they're not in there sweet spot. Too cold and slick. I feel like the car is due pretty darn well actually with street tires. But if you're being competitive you have to give something up to go straight to little quicker from a jump.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:46 PM
Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !
One thing that I think Sam does a nice job of being diplomatic about, but I won't be:

Quit putting sticky tires meant for the track on the back of our cars and expecting better 60's. You're wasting money and frustrating yourself.

Tires designed to raise lateral grip can't just soften the rubber and change the tread design. TIres and suspension work in harmony, and the sidewall is actually an important part of the "suspension" and must be stiffened to improve turn-in and maintain the best contact patch under full lateral load. A stiffer sidewall also makes the threshold more linear.

A tire with a stiffer sidewall will give you a worse 60' almost regardless of rubber. Don't buy MPSC2's and expect a good 60' or a consistent launch.

Drag radials have drastically more flexible sidewalls if you move to a taller sidewall such as you would have with the right diameter on a 19" wheel.

The correct solution to laying more power than stock down is a set of 19" wheels with MT ET Street Radials in 305/35/19 on the back. I don't know what the right wheels are that will fit over the rear brakes, especially if you have PCCB, but this is the only way that the GTR guys do it (or go even smaller diameter wheels in the back and taller sidewalls... but we have our PCCBs and they don't.).

Please someone find some 19's that fit, put some MT ET Streets on them, and show everyone what the awesome results are (or the limitations of the PDK or rear axles).

Old 01-04-2016, 08:06 PM
Former Vendor
Haha cheers! Call me we have done it

Old 01-04-2016, 09:38 PM
cm09578 has a reputation beyond reputecm09578 has a reputation beyond reputecm09578 has a reputation beyond reputecm09578 has a reputation beyond reputecm09578 has a reputation beyond reputecm09578 has a reputation beyond reputecm09578 has a reputation beyond reputecm09578 has a reputation beyond reputecm09578 has a reputation beyond reputecm09578 has a reputation beyond reputecm09578 has a reputation beyond repute
anyone know if a 315/35/20.... would fit on the back with our stock wheels? like a Nitto NT05R Drag Radial for example.... Maybe taller sidewall for 1/4 mile runs?

Old 01-05-2016, 07:02 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Visceral
One thing that I think Sam does a nice job of being diplomatic about, but I won't be:

Quit putting sticky tires meant for the track on the back of our cars and expecting better 60's. You're wasting money and frustrating yourself.

Tires designed to raise lateral grip can't just soften the rubber and change the tread design. TIres and suspension work in harmony, and the sidewall is actually an important part of the "suspension" and must be stiffened to improve turn-in and maintain the best contact patch under full lateral load. A stiffer sidewall also makes the threshold more linear.

A tire with a stiffer sidewall will give you a worse 60' almost regardless of rubber. Don't buy MPSC2's and expect a good 60' or a consistent launch.

Drag radials have drastically more flexible sidewalls if you move to a taller sidewall such as you would have with the right diameter on a 19" wheel.

The correct solution to laying more power than stock down is a set of 19" wheels with MT ET Street Radials in 305/35/19 on the back. I don't know what the right wheels are that will fit over the rear brakes, especially if you have PCCB, but this is the only way that the GTR guys do it (or go even smaller diameter wheels in the back and taller sidewalls... but we have our PCCBs and they don't.).

Please someone find some 19's that fit, put some MT ET Streets on them, and show everyone what the awesome results are (or the limitations of the PDK or rear axles).
I agree 100 percent. Mickeys are the way to better 60 foot times

Old 01-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Visceral

I also agree 100% MPSC2, Dunlop Race Maxx, Trofeo R's are for the track, not the drag strip.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:24 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Markblackwell
I also agree 100% MPSC2, Dunlop Race Maxx, Trofeo R's are for the track, not the drag strip.
Correct. The Very very stiff sidewalls of track tires are not conducive to the dragstrip in terms of traction

Old 01-05-2016, 01:08 PM
BigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud of
I'm sorry I think I put my question wrong as I was trying not hijack the OP thread. Mine was about best tires/performance for a daily driver that has mods, not for quarter mile/half mile. I know drag radials are the way to go for that. I'm leaning towards going with MSS for my dd. I believe they will give me the best performance for DD unless someone else has a opinion, which I would welcome. Hopefully I cleared up my part of the post. Thanks everyone

Old 01-05-2016, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by BigRich
I'm sorry I think I put my question wrong as I was trying not hijack the OP thread. Mine was about best tires/performance for a daily driver that has mods, not for quarter mile/half mile. I know drag radials are the way to go for that. I'm leaning towards going with MSS for my dd. I believe they will give me the best performance for DD unless someone else has a opinion, which I would welcome. Hopefully I cleared up my part of the post. Thanks everyone
Agreed for DD you cannot beat the Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Old 01-05-2016, 02:18 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BigRich
If you just want a solid DD tire that performs and isn't as loud as super swampers, the Michelin SS are hard to beat. Other tires may be stickier (like the Pirelli Trofeo R) but will wear much quicker and have no warranty like the SS

As others have mentioned, track tires suck for straight line performance. I've tried several (because I never take people's word for it) and realized myself that there is no substitution for a drag radial. I now have 4 sets of tires for my 997.2 lol, all for different occasions. r888s work to a point but to get sub 1.5 60' you need to step it up to a dedicated drag radial, period.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by ecpChris
If you just want a solid DD tire that performs and isn't as loud as super swampers, the Michelin SS are hard to beat. Other tires may be stickier (like the Pirelli Trofeo R) but will wear much quicker and have no warranty like the SS

As others have mentioned, track tires suck for straight line performance. I've tried several (because I never take people's word for it) and realized myself that there is no substitution for a drag radial. I now have 4 sets of tires for my 997.2 lol, all for different occasions. r888s work to a point but to get sub 1.5 60' you need to step it up to a dedicated drag radial, period.
Agreed

And yet John Morgan pulled a 1.4's 60 foot time with P Zeros. Unbelievable launch

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: r888 on rear only?