Importing a used Turbo from Canada?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 10:11 AM
Gatti-man is on a distinguished road
Importing a used Turbo from Canada?

Anyone ever done this? The dollar is set to go 1-.6 against the Canadian dollar in the next year or possibly even lower. This makes Canadian prices extremely attractive for large purchases.

Has anyone ever done this? From what I've read I need a letter from Porsche stating the vin number I'm buying meets all USA regulations. Not sure how hard that is to get.

Source for my projection of Canadian dollar vs USA dollar
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/macq...cast-1.3401644

Last edited by Gatti-man; 01-14-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:25 PM
Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !
I would imagine the warranty ends at the border. Then again perhaps for something catastrophic, you just send it back north.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dollar gets even stronger this year, but currency values seem completely tied to world events, which I have no comfort predicting. As much as I'm getting slaughtered in equities, at least I can understand why.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:36 PM
BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !
I have done the reverse many, many times (USA>>>Canada)...and never had an issue - other than the fact the some manufacturers either void (or hold back for a period of time) your warranty, as soon as you import. Porsche is NOT one of them.

You have full warranty in the US if you choose to import the car.

This will help you, and then you can do some basic research from there to ascertain the rest of your obligations. Should be pretty easy to do!

Important that you verify eligibility of the vehicle, which you can check easily online

http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impor.../importing-car

As a currency trader, my opinion is that you will see an even lower CDN dollar - much lower than today. It might be prudent to hold out till you see $1.50+, which I think will be in this quarter, but anyone who knows anything about the US market, and many, like me, will command US market pricing for the vehicle. We Canadians know that we can get much more in the US than here.

Most who export to the US will NOT sell you a vehicle for the CDN price. You may get lucky though...there are those who are unaware or don't care about the US pricing. You'd have to look in the local ads to find these cars...is my guess.

BTW, our currency is heavily tied to oil - oil goes down, so does our dollar.

Good luck!

Last edited by BLOWN SRT; 01-14-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:40 PM
Gatti-man is on a distinguished road
I'm sure I'll pay more than Canadian price but I'm hoping to save 10-20k. Anything less than that and it's not worth my while. As is I'm looking into it. I'm not afraid to drive my car home or have it shipped. I've done both before but never from Canada! I took a look right now and I'd save 10k before the 2.5% duty so it wouldn't be worth it right now but the currency hasn't really bottomed out yet.

I've looked at those links too just wondering if there is anything I missed. Also that's great news that Porsche will honor the warranty. I didn't know that either.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:05 PM
G-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant future
Blown SRT is completely correct.
I've bought many Porsches in the US & never had any issue whatsoever.
Porsche Cars North America has always said the cars have warranty. Even a CPO 997.2 I bought had a better warranty than a new car!
Be careful when getting the car from a broker, PCNA considered that a grey area & wouldn't necessarily cover warranty.