Tune Friendly Porsche Dealers in Houston?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 05:19 AM
Venum is on a distinguished road
Tune Friendly Porsche Dealers in Houston?

I'm wanting to reach out to Texas P-car owners for some much needed help tuning my 991TT. I recently purchased a COBB AP from a forum member and have been unable to install due to ECU compatibility issues. Seems the only fix is to have a dealer update to a newer ROM version but this would require some level of disclosure in order to convince them to run the update.

Are there any tune friendly dealers in the Austin/Dallas/Houston area that I can discuss, and if so, can you please provide me with contact names. Maybe another solution would be to find an Indy with a PIWIS that can do software updates. Thanks!

Old 04-05-2016, 06:46 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Porsche of Plano in North Dallas is. Contact John Gladwill. He is one of the best in the country and did all the mods on my car (suspension, tune, exhaust, corner balancing ect.)
+
RAC Performance is also a great place to go in the same general area.

Or, Cobb has a location in North Dallas as well. Give Mitch a call.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:44 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by White Rock
Porsche of Plano in North Dallas is. Contact John Gladwill. He is one of the best in the country and did all the mods on my car (suspension, tune, exhaust, corner balancing ect.)
+
RAC Performance is also a great place to go in the same general area.

Or, Cobb has a location in North Dallas as well. Give Mitch a call.
Only problem is that those dealerships are about 250 miles from Houston. I had a great experience with Porsche of North Houston on getting a new right rear on my car and the insurance papers all filed properly when I had a flat up in Huntsville. I called Porsche of North Houston at 10:30 am and they got a tow truck up to Huntsville and by 2:30pm I was on my way back to Austin with a new right rear. By comparison, to get the same tire replaced at Roger Beasley here in Austin took 3 days............

Last edited by wrs; 04-05-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:53 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
The OP has Dallas listed as a potential area, thus my recommendations.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:07 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Momentum Porsche is a Champion Motorsport and GIAC dealer.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:10 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by White Rock
The OP has Dallas listed as a potential area, thus my recommendations.
Oh I see that in the body, I was just going by the title. I know that Park Place where I bought my 991tts is a GIAC installer but don't know about Cobb. They are mod friendly though. I have also heard that Plano is but I know for a fact that here in Austin, Roger Beasley isn't.

I can't imagine that you couldn't just go get the latest ECU software under a program for the car and then install the AP. Mine installed with no problem and I have a 9/13 build 2014 991tts.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:13 AM
wrs
Originally Posted by Venum
I'm wanting to reach out to Texas P-car owners for some much needed help tuning my 991TT. I recently purchased a COBB AP from a forum member and have been unable to install due to ECU compatibility issues. Seems the only fix is to have a dealer update to a newer ROM version but this would require some level of disclosure in order to convince them to run the update.

Are there any tune friendly dealers in the Austin/Dallas/Houston area that I can discuss, and if so, can you please provide me with contact names. Maybe another solution would be to find an Indy with a PIWIS that can do software updates. Thanks!
Have you contacted Cobb? You have to pay them to change the AP to match your VIN. The VIN doesn't transfer, I think that is your problem.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:50 AM
Thanks for all of the quick responses. Yes, I've talked to Cobb several times over the last few weeks and they advised to get my ROM updated as it is an earlier version (W06120_38TUN10). The AP error I get is "An unknown ROM revision has been encountered". I had a Houston dealer run my VIN and all campaigns are current therefore they see no reason to update the ECU. I don't want to tell them why I need it unless they are tune friendly. Sounds like a few of the Dallas dealers are so I may end up driving there.

Next time I talk to Cobb, I'll have to ask them about tying my VIN to the AP which would be awesome if it was that simple.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:54 AM
wrs
Thanks for all of the quick responses. Yes, I've talked to Cobb several times over the last few weeks and they advised to get my ROM updated as it is an earlier version (W06120_38TUN10). The AP error I get is "An unknown ROM revision has been encountered". I had a Houston dealer run my VIN and all campaigns are current therefore they see no reason to update the ECU. I don't want to tell them why I need it unless they are tune friendly. Sounds like a few of the Dallas dealers are so I may end up driving there.

Next time I talk to Cobb, I'll have to ask them about tying my VIN to the AP which would be awesome if it was that simple.
Yeah but I think that is a generic error, I have gotten it too when switching off the car during a map change. If it doesn't see the VIN from the ECU matching what is in the AP it will probably produce that error. I was told by a Cobb employee that if I sell my AP, the new buyer will have to pay 1/2 retail to change the VIN. If you didn't tell them that, the help desk guys may just not know what is going on. I can't imagine that my car would take an AP being a 2013 build and yours not. What year model is yours and what build is it?

Last edited by wrs; 04-05-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:08 AM
Originally Posted by wrs
Yeah but I think that is a generic error, I have gotten it too when switching off the car during a map change. If it doesn't see the VIN from the ECU matching what is in the AP it will probably produce that error. I was told by a Cobb employee that if I sell my AP, the new buyer will have to pay 1/2 retail to change the VIN. If you didn't tell them that, the help desk guys may just not know what is going on. I can't imagine that my car would take an AP being a 2013 build and yours not. What year model is yours and what build is it?
I followed up with Cobb and they are certain my ROM is what's causing the error. They also confirmed that the AP is not tied to an individual car VIN and in the case where it's a pre-owned AP, the previous owner must remove the Cobb tune and flash back to OEM. If this is not done then you must pay 1/2 retail for Cobb to re-register the AP.

Though my issue is taking longer than I would like to resolve, Cobb has been great to work with and it's evident that they stand behind their products. Stay tuned.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:34 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Not sure if you saw my original response, but Momentum in Houston would be a good choice.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Not sure if you saw my original response, but Momentum in Houston would be a good choice.
Yes, I saw the post and thanks for the suggestion. Do you have a contact name?

Old 04-06-2016, 01:19 PM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wrs
Oh I see that in the body, I was just going by the title. I know that Park Place where I bought my 991tts is a GIAC installer but don't know about Cobb. They are mod friendly though. I have also heard that Plano is but I know for a fact that here in Austin, Roger Beasley isn't.

I can't imagine that you couldn't just go get the latest ECU software under a program for the car and then install the AP. Mine installed with no problem and I have a 9/13 build 2014 991tts.
Neither Randall at Park Place or John at Porsche Plano will do Cobb. I have asked several times now. They only do GIAC in house.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:19 PM
dds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Momentum Porsche is a Champion Motorsport and GIAC dealer.
Hmm, thats good to know. I got my Champion/GIAC done at Autodynamica in the woodlands.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:20 PM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
I followed up with Cobb and they are certain my ROM is what's causing the error. They also confirmed that the AP is not tied to an individual car VIN and in the case where it's a pre-owned AP, the previous owner must remove the Cobb tune and flash back to OEM. If this is not done then you must pay 1/2 retail for Cobb to re-register the AP.

Though my issue is taking longer than I would like to resolve, Cobb has been great to work with and it's evident that they stand behind their products. Stay tuned.
Good to hear. I had went by one day for a dyno day and Mitch was very helpful and answered some of my questions.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tune Friendly Porsche Dealers in Houston?