Upgraded 991.2 Steering wheel on my 991.1 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 09:49 PM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tom_K
Would it be possible to change a 991.1 Turbo S multifunction wheel to this? I can't stand the buttons on the steering wheel, this car is made for paddles

Tom
Yes. You would need to buy a control stalk and have it programmed. It's fairly standard to do and several people have done it.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:45 PM
TKWhale is an unknown quantity at this point
Exhaust upgrade!

which exhaust brand you will recommend for 991.2T?

Old 06-12-2017, 09:18 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Goin2drt
I have heard similar directly from a friend who is the service manager at a Porsche dealer. He basically said the only way this is happening if someone is a crazy tech nerd that could do coding but Porsche with not have module, adapters etc etc to make this at all possible.
your porsche tech is correct, that's exactly with a 2014 panamera owner in china did.

you can contact him on the Facebook "porsche 997 retrofit custom & modified tips n tricks" modification group. he's actually telling adapters for 997/987/991 and even has an adapter for the newer panamera wheel (supposedly has more controls). he has videos as well showing how all the Mulft-fiuncton controls work as well.

i wish this adapter came out earlier as i've already sunk too much money on my 997.2 steering wheel (basically a 991.1 wheel) conversion.

hopefully this adapter will help some of you guys

Old 06-27-2017, 09:27 AM
Ashar Khan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Since I bought my 991.1 in May, I have found the car to be a masterpiece of engineering. The Steering wheel however was a disappointment. The design looked dated, and the rim itself was too thin for the grip level you need on a performance car.

So I upgraded the wheel to a new 991.2 custom wheel with a red band at top, thicker rim all the way round, and carrera red deviated stitching in the same pointe-crosse style as the Porsche Exclusive wheels. I also got a leather steering column retrofitted too.

Here are the specs:

1) 991.2 GT Sport wheel with 360mm diameter (20mm narrower than the 991.1 wheel) which I got from Suncoast. Also a 991.2 leather airbag (actually I got the Macan Turbo version which is identical to the 911 Turbo version with the same leather but half the price).

2) Modified by RRS Motorsports (no affiliation) with thicker rim all the way around, Carrera Red pointe-crosse stitching and 10mm Carrera Red band at top of wheel.

3) Replaced the black outer trim which is how the GT Sport wheel is setup with the silver outer trim from the GT3 RS steering wheel to create a look where all the spokes are fully metal in appearance and not a mix of metal and matte black plastic. This fully metal look is more bauhaus style which complements the Porsche very well.

4) Leather steering column with Carrera Red deviated stitching from Exclusive Option

Overall I am super happy with the upgrade:

1) It looks stunning and it is unique. I haven't seen any Porsche wheel the same as this yet.

2) RRS Motorsport did a very nice job with the modifications. I love the thicker rim which feels superb but maintains the same degree of firmness and feel. The workmanship is also as good as Porsche OEM - the stitching seems very similar to a Porsche Exclusive wheel, and and the band is actually more cleanly integrated at the top than the Porsche version.

3). Also the short throw paddles on the 991.2 wheel makes the DCT seem much faster. There is reduced finger movement to shift which makes it a lot more fun to use compared with the 991.1 wheel. In fact after driving with this, you wonder what was Porsche thinking with the old paddle wheel.

Great job
Could you post details of the point man at RRs Motorsport who did your steering wheel. I might call him and send him over my stock wheel to get a similar yellow deviated stitch with band . This is such a professional job . amazing . Will appreciate your help 'cheers
Ash

Old 06-27-2017, 12:58 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Yes. You would need to buy a control stalk and have it programmed. It's fairly standard to do and several people have done it.
or now just upgrade to the macan (991.2) multifunction wheel , now that the 991.2 Multifunction is now is fully functional. you wouldn't need the control stalk nor would you even need any PIWIS programming whatsoever since your steering module is already set to multifunction-ON.

Originally Posted by Tom_K
Would it be possible to change a 991.1 Turbo S multifunction wheel to this? I can't stand the buttons on the steering wheel, this car is made for paddles

Tom
yup, just swap it with the macan multifunction wheel. exactly the same thing as the 991.2 wheel (and there are a ton of mint brand new ones on eBay for a fair price) - and the MF buttons will work now with the adapter from china.

Last edited by myw; 06-27-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:27 PM
Nfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud of
Im confused. Does the 991.2 and 991.1 mf wheels the same interchangeable wiring harnesses?

I have the 991.1 mf wheel. Is the adapter needed for plug and play for the 991.2 wheel? Or is wiring required?

Last edited by Nfall; 06-27-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:34 PM
Nfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by liybalance
Need new wheel + airbag + adapter,plug&play.Your 991.1 no need coding MF will works well.

Adapter installation guide:
https://gpsadapter.us/blogs/installa...allation-guide
I checked out website. Looks like its not plug and play. Is wiring easy? Does not look very easy.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:40 AM
myw
Originally Posted by Nfall
I checked out website. Looks like its not plug and play. Is wiring easy? Does not look very easy.
no affiliation - but what a steal. even comes with the better looking black steering wheel inserts as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Macan-Heated...1ZU59c&vxp=mtr

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.