Champion/GIAC 991.2 Turbo S hits the 1/4 mile...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 01:35 PM
enzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longboarder
Now I get it. I was thinking why the MPH was a little slower than expected. So this vid was part of a larger production of Drag Times vs their 720S.

Before the vid Brooks from DT quoted the DA which was virtually the identical DA as the when the stock 720S in the NorthEast trapped 147mph a few weeks ago at a different track....but here at this track same DA, the 720S could only manage low 140's.

Sounds like this track is just a low reader.
It was like 40 degrees when I ran at Atco. These guys are wearing short sleeved shirts in Florida. Of course they aren't going to be making as much power.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:35 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by enzom
It was like 40 degrees when I ran at Atco. These guys are wearing short sleeved shirts in Florida. Of course they aren't going to be making as much power.
Need to update your sig Lorenzo

Old 12-28-2017, 10:49 AM
993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !993Godspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ecpChris
Need to update your sig Lorenzo
Seriously before he moves to the next car.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:41 PM
enzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond repute
Ha. Didn't even realize it. Will update. And then Update again.

Old 04-12-2020, 10:31 AM
Carl Ansara is an unknown quantity at this point
Extremely inconsistent results????

Seems like these cars and specifically these tunes (all tuners) have results all over the place. Stage 1 faster than stage 2. Stage 3 just as quick as stage 2.
Difficult to shell-out 15-30$k just to end up having a slower car than stock 🤦‍♂️

Old 04-13-2020, 10:12 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Carl Ansara
Seems like these cars and specifically these tunes (all tuners) have results all over the place. Stage 1 faster than stage 2. Stage 3 just as quick as stage 2.
Difficult to shell-out 15-30$k just to end up having a slower car than stock 🤦‍♂️
The confusion usually comes from a few factors. First, there's no universal guide to what a Stage 1, Stage 2, etc should include in terms of hardware. Some tuners will refer to a car with a tune, exhaust, and intercoolers as a Stage 3. For us, we call that a Stage 2+, so what it really comes down to is the actual hardware that's on each individual car.

The second factor, and probably the biggest, is all the different variables that go into a 1/4 mile. Individual tracks sometimes produce better results than others, the track prep plays a huge roll, the weather, altitude, DA....all of these things can cause huge variances in results, even in the same car. There's also driver skill. I, for one, am TERRIBLE at running the 1/4 mile. I can never seem to stage correctly or get a great launch, whereas other people are great at staging the car at the line and able to shave a tenth or 2 off their times in that way alone.

I'm sure others can chime in with their experiences, but for me, I think of the track as a tool similar to a dyno. As long as you can pretty consistently manage the conditions when you're running, it's a good way to gauge progress or consistency of a particular car. But it's next to impossible to compare 2 cars running at different tracks, in different conditions, with different hardware, and say one is "faster" than the other. I think that's also one of the reasons that 1/2 mile races have become so popular.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:14 AM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Carl Ansara
A tuned Porsche turbo is never going to be slower than stock unless there are mechanical/tuning issues.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:04 AM
solipsistik is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by vrybad
A tuned Porsche turbo is never going to be slower than stock unless there are mechanical/tuning issues.
Absolutely can be. Let's say that the tune raises boost on stock ICs and the tune is designed for "drag" or "street" application where the car won't be accelerating full power for long or repeated intervals. Driving a quick back road (much less a track) with hard throttle on/off, the IATs get hot, EGTs get hot and the car pulls spark and / or boost to compensate, and suddenly you're driving a car with maybe 200hp. Or your fuel isn't on spec. I've had my car do it on 91 octane when I didn't even have the ICs hot yet. If the engine knocks at all, believe me the Porsche ECU will take away ALL boost and ALL spark advance... and you probably want it to.

If all you care about is one quick sprint now and then, most tunes will do well.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:27 AM
99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute
My stock 991.2 ran a dragy verified 10.48@130.8mph with a 1.59 60’ time... I’m all too curious to see what a tune will do to this car? I’m in the research mode right now.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:22 AM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
My stock 991.2 ran a dragy verified 10.48@130.8mph with a 1.59 60’ time... I’m all too curious to see what a tune will do to this car? I’m in the research mode right now.
According to some people it will be slower so don't do it.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:56 AM
99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute
I’m verifying my times along the way, so I’ll know right away once I do it.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
I’m verifying my times along the way, so I’ll know right away once I do it.
I was just messing around.
Curious what kind of times you'll see after tuning and how much of a difference it makes from stock.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:02 AM
I was just messing around.
Curious what kind of times you'll see after tuning and how much of a difference it makes from stock.
Oh I knew you were. I appreciate the humor.... I’m trying to establish a good solid baseline on my car, then do one mod at a time to see where the real gains are? Be it an exhaust, tune, both, or even something different like I/C’s then tune. I’ve heard the exhaust on the 991.2 cars aren’t as restrictive as years past.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:28 AM
solipsistik is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think the tunes are slower, necessarily. But COBB's stage 1 93 octane tune adds virtually nothing. A bit of a torque bump in midrange. They purposely detuned it with a recent update.

I think APR's 1+ tune is likely to be really good. 110whp on a Mustang dyno, and tested on a race track with pressure sensors throughout the intake tract.

If you ever want to make big power, you'll need a custom tune and for those, you have to understand that reliability *could* be a factor in some cases. A 700whp setup may dramatically lower the life of the turbos if you're doing road courses, as an example, because that isn't something the tune probably considers.

Last edited by solipsistik; 04-15-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by solipsistik
I don't think the tunes are slower, necessarily. But COBB's stage 1 93 octane tune adds virtually nothing. A bit of a torque bump in midrange. They purposely detuned it with a recent update.

I think APR's 1+ tune is likely to be really good. 110whp on a Mustang dyno, and tested on a race track with pressure sensors throughout the intake tract.

If you ever want to make big power, you'll need a custom tune and for those, you have to understand that reliability *could* be a factor in some cases. A 700whp setup may dramatically lower the life of the turbos if you're doing road courses, as an example, because that isn't something the tune probably considers.
While I understand what you’re saying, if I were going to road race, I’d have kept my GT3... don’t know too many people road racing Turbo Porsche’s. I’m thinking most people like me are using these for roll and drag racing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Champion/GIAC 991.2 Turbo S hits the 1/4 mile...