Drove the 991... a bit disappointed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:30 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EricP
^^^ That is cool. Those Singer Classic 74's are fine units. One day...

my thoughts as well, one day....!

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 02-05-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:33 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
My bad they are '73. 74 Went to the energy bumper styling.

$190k-$300k depending on what you want Singer to do with the car.

</threadjack>

Last edited by EricP; 02-05-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:45 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
My bad they are '73. 74 Went to the energy bumper styling.

$190k-$300k depending on what you want Singer to do with the car.

</threadjack>
yeah that´s a lot, but it´s probably the coolest car around.
if you drive a Ferrari for 300k or a Lambo you may be considered a d0uche.
drive this and people will look at you and the car and say: my gawd, lovely!
the car makes everyone smile, it makes the world better!

Old 02-05-2012, 05:45 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Call me a creature of comfort but there are times when I want to get to my destination without steering vibration and rear end squall off the line, or feeling the bumpy texture of a manhole cover.

And then there are times when I want to press it hard - and the ratio of these times is 80/20.
i didn't catch this earlier, i fully agree. there is a duality to the car's nature that mine no longer shares, which is fast yet unforgivingly stiff at any speed, coupled with the continual rowing of gears. that's all gone with the 991 and it doesn't feel like a tip either. by comparison the 991 is plush. very well suited as a dd in the way a 335i is. the pdk seems to function in exactly the same way as the 335i's did, though this pdk much more agressively blip's the throttle loudly on hi rev downshifts. that was a neat trick.

i think it's a very urban, if not possibly urbane, sports car.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
yeah that´s a lot, but it´s probably the coolest car around.
if you drive a Ferrari for 300k or a Lambo you may be considered a d0uche.
drive this and people will look at you and the car and say: my gawd, lovely!
the car makes everyone smile, it makes the world better!
I'm waiting to see if they come up with a 930 (Turbo) program.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Newman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the rough
I drove a 991 over the weekend & bought a car the dealers had preordered that was close to my preferences. I am coming out of a 2010 GT3. I loved the GT3, especially as compared to my 2007 997 TT. However, the vibration and the harshness of the GT3 eventually got to me. My impression of the 991 is that it is much more of a luxury car, but when you get into it it's still very much hardcore Porsche. The technology is just amazing.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:07 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Newman
I drove a 991 over the weekend & bought a car the dealers had preordered that was close to my preferences. I am coming out of a 2010 GT3. I loved the GT3, especially as compared to my 2007 997 TT. However, the vibration and the harshness of the GT3 eventually got to me. My impression of the 991 is that it is much more of a luxury car, but when you get into it it's still very much hardcore Porsche. The technology is just amazing.
Congrats!! pics!!

Old 02-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Newman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the rough
I ordered a cabriolet, due in late March - tough to wait.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Newman
I ordered a cabriolet, due in late March - tough to wait.
Oh, cool. Yes tough to wait but you'll have a great spring!! CT early spring can be nasty. You don't need the temptation to take it out in the crud.

My delivery is tomorrow and we're supposed to get an inch!

Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Wow tough crowd...

I saw the 991 S about a month ago in silver and it didn't live up to my expectations, it just didn't make me go "wowww".
So I decided to wait for the wide-body 991 and keep my highly modded C4S whilst re-allocating my deposit towards a 2013 Cayenne instead.

Then I saw a 991 S in black last week and I got hit by the WOWWW
Test drove it and LOVED IT!!
So now I've got 2 Porsche's on order

Really don't know why people are stating that the 991 is "softer" or less exciting... the roads are getting worse and worse and now you can drive your 911 with some spirit without cursing...

As to exiting, man oh man that thing really moves!
Yes it's more comfortable but when you put your foot down... holy crap!
Had the rear end shimmy several times.

I've never I've feld the need to pin the gas pedal to the floor in a 911 (as the power catches up before ya get that far) so didn't do it during my test drive either... untill my sales guy suggested it (while he was already white in the face ) and let me tell ya that last inch of throttle travel opened up a wholeeeee new experience!

Really gave a BIG kick in the behind, Wow just wow!!!

The whole thing was one of the most visceral experiences I've had in a Porsche (thanks in no small part to the paddle shifters and SPASM's effect on the throttle and PSE, what a sound!).

All you guys who are worried that the new 911 has become boring or too much of a luxury car... DON'T !

It's sex on wheels baby!!!

Sid.

Last edited by Psycho Sid; 02-23-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Elias74 can only hope to improve
I see that a lot of people complain about feeling and loss of sport attitude, of the new 991...

Let's say some simple things:
- A sport car has to have good performances. 991 does. Evrytime, evrymodel, even better than before.
- Design? Well...there are always people that i call "nostalgic", for wich new lines are ever worst than the old ones. But 991 has a wonderful design, with no doubt.
- It is clear: wherever You like it or not, PORSCHE and expecially CARRERA, have become a STATUS SYMBOL. They are Performance, sporty and luxury cars.
- If You want a car that Flyes away evrytime you take a bump in the city, than you can drive a kart.
- Porsche are so appreciated because they offer wonderful performances united with great design and quality.

All the rest is speculation on nothing.

But this is only my opinion.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Elias74
I see that a lot of people complain about feeling and loss of sport attitude, of the new 991...

Let's say some simple things:
- A sport car has to have good performances. 991 does. Evrytime, evrymodel, even better than before.
- Design? Well...there are always people that i call "nostalgic", for wich new lines are ever worst than the old ones. But 991 has a wonderful design, with no doubt.
- It is clear: wherever You like it or not, PORSCHE and expecially CARRERA, have become a STATUS SYMBOL. They are Performance, sporty and luxury cars.
- If You want a car that Flyes away evrytime you take a bump in the city, than you can drive a kart.
- Porsche are so appreciated because they offer wonderful performances united with great design and quality.

All the rest is speculation on nothing.

But this is only my opinion.
I agree with this. Well put.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Thank U EricP..!

Old 02-24-2012, 02:00 AM
Good Observations, Psycho Sid..!!!
My Car has to be completed the 9Th of march.
Then i'll post first impressions and pictures.
:-)

Old 02-25-2012, 08:23 PM
930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future
I know a lot of you wont believe this this.... that ok.. but i have owned two 996 cup cars, 11 996/ 997 GT3's 996 gt2's and a 997 GT2..the 991 is an amazing car..! i had it in the track for the third time today.. it is a great car for the weekend guy... if you can can drive it to its its limits I applaud you... i have had some pretty bad *** Porsche and i can say this is a good car!!!!!! the feel the sound the brakes the acceleration is amazing ,, yo ate missing out if you have not driven on the track... i dint care about dealer test drives .. I'm talking about track driving...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drove the 991... a bit disappointed