458 tries catching Porsche. 458 driver gets busted by youtube nannies.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
SLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to behold
reckless - yes, fun to watch - yes .. not sure I would own a car like that in Japan, I'm sure if doc could afford dah car, he could afford to get himself out of trouble

Old 03-13-2012, 03:18 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SLATETT
reckless - yes, fun to watch - yes .. not sure I would own a car like that in Japan, I'm sure if doc could afford dah car, he could afford to get himself out of trouble
I dunno...where is the right place to own any car like that anyway? If you ask me, Japans as good a place as anywhere if you can afford it. I wouldn't think twice about having one parked in my garage if i had enough disposable income. Too many other priorities is always a problem...or an excuse Doc obviously can afford it.....good luck to him. Probably not enough $ left to mop up the fallout after this undoing though. Sure was an expensive camera eh. I can see it now. The Japanese cops arguing over who's going to drive it to the impound.. Sad.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:19 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
I dunno...where is the right place to own any car like that anyway?
Countryside full of curvy scenic roads, without people, cyclists, driveways, other cars, or LEOs around. Or a mile away from a great track.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
Countryside full of curvy scenic roads, without people, cyclists, driveways, other cars, or LEOs around. Or a mile away from a great track.
You're talking utopia here manifold. Where does that exist outside of a racetrack...and even then, after a handful of laps the scenery can get a little tiresome, unless you are talking Nurburgring at 20km per lap. Something tells me that out of all us guys here Doc wouldn't be the only bad boy in the room. Maybe that white turbo is also owned by a 6 speeder...

Old 03-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
You're talking utopia here manifold. Where does that exist outside of a racetrack...and even then, after a handful of laps the scenery can get a little tiresome, unless you are talking Nurburgring at 20km per lap. Something tells me that out of all us guys here Doc wouldn't be the only bad boy in the room. Maybe that white turbo is also owned by a 6 speeder...
I have a decent network of roads approaching 80% to 90% of this utopia not too far from where I live. It helps to get out there first thing in morning on weekends, when it's especially empty out there. Of course, my story will change the first time I get stopped by an errant LEO at 2x or 3x the speed limit.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:47 AM
speedphreek is a jewel in the roughspeedphreek is a jewel in the roughspeedphreek is a jewel in the rough
I love the last paragraph of that article

"It shows the vehicle pass other cars on a two-lane motorway but struggle to catch up with what appears to be a Porsche."

Old 03-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Banned
I have a decent network of roads approaching 80% to 90% of this utopia not too far from where I live. It helps to get out there first thing in morning on weekends, when it's especially empty out there. Of course, my story will change the first time I get stopped by an errant LEO at 2x or 3x the speed limit.
Now ain't that true. And when you do get busted (which you will at one point) all the accusations of reckless endangerment will get thrown at you to justify the punishment. I also have some pretty awsome rds close by but nowadys after seeing a few sneeky leo's hiding with radar guns in the early hours it has taken the shine of things. I've had a few close calls too. Problem with these cars is it doesn't take much throttle input at all and you're doubling or tripling the posted limmit even on these deserted "safe" stretches. Yep nanna is always lurking.

Originally Posted by speedphreek
I love the last paragraph of that article

"It shows the vehicle pass other cars on a two-lane motorway but struggle to catch up with what appears to be a Porsche."
Yep the media always tends to sensationalise as much as possible these days, pandering to the nanny factor so to look the "responsible reporting media body", and in this instance found ridicule to the car in that process....further rubbing salt into poor ole Doc's wounds. T'was Funny tho although put the shoe on the other foot and i bet the laughter would stop pretty quickly.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:56 PM
schwarz is on a distinguished road
could be jailed for up to six months or fined a maximum 100,000 yen ($1150) if convicted.
just a slap on the wrist

Old 03-14-2012, 05:17 AM
Now ain't that true. And when you do get busted (which you will at one point) all the accusations of reckless endangerment will get thrown at you to justify the punishment. I also have some pretty awsome rds close by but nowadys after seeing a few sneeky leo's hiding with radar guns in the early hours it has taken the shine of things. I've had a few close calls too. Problem with these cars is it doesn't take much throttle input at all and you're doubling or tripling the posted limmit even on these deserted "safe" stretches. Yep nanna is always lurking.
Sadly, this is also an argument for getting a fun car which only feels fast (eg, Miata, Mini Cooper, etc.).

Old 03-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Sadly, this is also an argument for getting a fun car which only feels fast (eg, Miata, Mini Cooper, etc.).
It's why my Boxsters were as much fun here on NJ roads as my turbos.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Banned
Yes but both situations can have different outcomes due to the cars being used. Take for an example the Porsche. You would be most likely travelling at a far higher speed than what you would be able to achieve in your Miata or Mini Cooper at the time of your busting. Now that would mean a bigger fine, car possibly impounded, becoming of interest to the media...so on so forth. I doubt poor old Doc would have made newsprint had he been in a Miata .

Old 03-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Yes but both situations can have different outcomes due to the cars being used. Take for an example the Porsche. You would be most likely travelling at a far higher speed than what you would be able to achieve in your Miata or Mini Cooper at the time of your busting. Now that would mean a bigger fine, car possibly impounded, becoming of interest to the media...so on so forth. I doubt poor old Doc would have made newsprint had he been in a Miata .
That's the point I was trying to make with that comment.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:22 AM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
I first heard about this on Ferrari Chat. I didn't bother watching it. There was no mention about the Porsche.

I must comment: First, the F car driver was NOT trying to "race" with the Porsche. He certainly wasn't trying to catch him, nor pass him. If you observe the driving you will understand that he was NOT taking any real chances and he was backing off as he approached other cars, etc. The Porsche driver was pushing it pretty close as he cut around traffic. HE was doing all the work, taking lots of chances, and the F Car driver was merely enjoying himself going quite fast, but having the P car driver "clear the road" ahead.

Once he gets alone he does one stupid thing. When he takes off from a signal he cuts really close and hard getting around that Subaru? van. Except for that you will notice that he again backs off and gives respect any time he is around other people. Doubt me? Just listen to the revs while he is playing behind the P car as opposed to when he finally has that fairly open coastal road.

Actually, you want SOUND? Find the latest My Classic Car with Dennis Gage. He rides and drives Jay Leno's wonderful old Lambro Muria S. They did a SUPERB job of recording the experience and the SOUND. Man, I love my P cars, but if you to understand what it is like to drive a car that sounds like a 12 cylinder endurance racer at Le Mans.... DISAIT!

I just realized that it might be online... here it is. The first car is a Tatra. Late 30s, rear engine air cooled V8. Take THAT, Tucker and...Panamera. Hope you enjoy. I agree that a well built P car can sound wonderful at high revs but there is nothing like 12 cylinders for glorious sound.

http://www.myclassiccar.com/episode/16/02/

JR

Old 03-15-2012, 11:32 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by john rice

I must comment: First, the F car driver was NOT trying to "race" with the Porsche. He certainly wasn't trying to catch him, nor pass him. If you observe the driving you will understand that he was NOT taking any real chances and he was backing off as he approached other cars, etc. The Porsche driver was pushing it pretty close as he cut around traffic. HE was doing all the work, taking lots of chances, and the F Car driver was merely enjoying himself going quite fast, but having the P car driver "clear the road" ahead.
i agree.

i don't think doc was trying to pass the porsche. It appears he gives the Porsche driver enough room and is not looking for a race.

not to encourage street racing.. but if i had a 458, i would be tempted to open her up from time to time..

however, i doubt if i would record the 'action' and post it on youtube with exact location of my home/garage.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
i agree.

i don't think doc was trying to pass the porsche. It appears he gives the Porsche driver enough room and is not looking for a race.
Not so sure about that. It was mainly the traffic that helped doc keep up by look of it. 458 was not having an easy time keeping up with that turbo. Racing or overtaking was not even an option and I'm sure if he had that he would have tried that. And Doc likes a fast drive....you can see that. That Porsche owned him....the rest is just excuses.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 458 tries catching Porsche. 458 driver gets busted by youtube nannies.