"Lost soul", or progress dislike?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
We go through the same cycle of criticism with nearly every significant generation change. Only the 997 seemed to avoid this phenomenon in recent years.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:18 AM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
We go through the same cycle of criticism with nearly every significant generation change. Only the 997 seemed to avoid this phenomenon in recent years.
Seems to resemble 996 criticism to me. Feels like it too.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Perhaps folks (including me) were just relieved to see the combo headlights go.

Seriously though, I think the 997 was a great polishing of the 996 in so many ways.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:24 AM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by fbroen
The two extra inches put you over the top eh?
And you think it's barely noticeable?

Why do you care about 991 criticism.......you like it.....buy it!

If you want to be honest this is very different than it's a new model...a new 911...and I'm stuck in the old. The 997 was nothing like this....nothing.....this is way beyond the new model resistance......but whatever.

Tom

Old 03-22-2012, 07:37 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
I find the phenomenon interesting. I don't know that I "care" as in a bad way.

Oh and I did buy one. That will not mean that I won't miss my 997. Nor do I think there will ever be a more desireable modern era (to me) car than the RS 4.0. But then again ...

On the two inches, sure it is noticeable, but I do find it intriguing that such a bright line in size would come from the owner of a second "hughest" 911 (assuming the 997 in the avatar is your current).

Old 03-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Altaran will become famous soon enough
Don't really think that extra 2 inches puts it over the top, I think its the continued increase they have done over the years to the point where the 911 isn't that little sports car that it used to be.

Generally speaking, the changes Porsche makes to their cars aren't to cater to the purists, but to a broad spectrum of potential customers. And it is a fact that most people (not me ) will want comfort in their car and certain luxury features. People want space in the car while still claiming to drive a sports car. And most people don't even know what features such as dry sump lubrication are, nor do they care about it, hence Porsche is doing right by putting cheap-to-produce Carrera Blocks in the cars versus expensive GT1 Blocks.
From a business perspective they are doing everything right.

But for people looking for a no compromise sports car... well, they're just not for that. That's why they have GT2s and GT3s.

Personally, I think modern cars are getting too electronic. Too many systems preventing me from doing what I want. The cars are not as direct as they used to be. For me, also too big. And what the hell is an E-Brake button doing in a sports car? It's supposed to be a handle, ... maybe for fun?
And that is why I will stick to the earlier models and leave the new cars to other people. I don't think they're bad, they're just not for me anymore. And that is something where everyone is different.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 03-22-2012, 09:40 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Altaran
And what the hell is an E-Brake button doing in a sports car? It's supposed to be a handle, ... maybe for fun?
as much as I love my 991, the E-brake button is one of my few gripes. More than the electrical steering with which I can live in fact

Old 03-22-2012, 10:02 AM
That brake button looks horrible and feels wrong. Straight out of an SUV. (Wait, did I just add to the 991 negative remarks?)

BTW, how does a dual clutch work in "Park"? Would it be similar to leaving a manual parked in first gear?

Old 03-22-2012, 03:10 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
Lost soul is not the steering but ordering a 991 with a PDK...

Old 03-23-2012, 09:53 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by m5_2010
Lost soul is not the steering but ordering a 991 with a PDK...
And there you have it folks. A member's definition of 'soul' - one clutch instead of two.

I've asked this repeatedly, and received 1000 difference interpretations from 1000 different people. It is unique, and means something different to everybody.

I love that it still gets used, although almost nobody agrees on what it means...

Old 03-23-2012, 10:15 AM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
PDK - To me it means the death of a sports car. I hope Porsche does not do away with the manual as Ferarri and Lambo are doing....

p.s. I gave it a try. I have a 997.2 Targa 4S with a PDK for the last 3 years.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by fbroen
I find the phenomenon interesting. I don't know that I "care" as in a bad way.

Oh and I did buy one. That will not mean that I won't miss my 997. Nor do I think there will ever be a more desireable modern era (to me) car than the RS 4.0. But then again ...

On the two inches, sure it is noticeable, but I do find it intriguing that such a bright line in size would come from the owner of a second "hughest" 911 (assuming the 997 in the avatar is your current).
Yes...that is my car and I love it! I'd even like it more if it were a bit smaller but the design, especially after the 996, is gorgeous to my eye.

I just don't feel the same about the 991 and it's not just the size....the rear? The headlights....the interior....the wider front? Just not exactly what I was expecting. No one can say it's not a stunning car with fabulous performance....just not for me. Who knows...I'm a C-4 guy so maybe......I think 993 next though.

Best,

Tom

Old 03-23-2012, 01:54 PM
gerenb is on a distinguished road
Perhaps the 991 has no soul. Having a soul is overrated, though. Just ask Rush Limbaugh.

My 991S should be here with a few days.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by gerenb
Perhaps the 991 has no soul. Having a soul is overrated, though. Just ask Rush Limbaugh.

My 991S should be here with a few days.
After that asinine comment and knowing that you ordered one makes me happy I didn't! I know who's missing the soul

Tom

Old 03-23-2012, 02:21 PM
gerenb is on a distinguished road
I'm just kidding! Lighten up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "Lost soul", or progress dislike?