New 991... squeaks and rattles, hood issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:51 AM
991_Omaha is on a distinguished road
New 991... squeaks and rattles, hood issue?

Hey everyone, new 991 owner. Just picked it up last week. So I have a couple issues; wondering what everyone else has going on....

First, the roof has this absolutely awful rattle/squeak thing going on. Pretty much it sounds like the headliner is loose and every single bump causes the whole roof to squeak... literally. Anyone else experiencing this?

Second... I'm new to Porsche, my first one... so I may be a little ignorant to this... but when I was power washing the car... every time you add ANY pressure of any sorts to the front clip- the trunk popped open. If I sprayed under pressure anywhere near the Porsche crest on the hood, the hood popped open. Is this normal? Is the trunk supposed to pop open with light pressure?

I'm going back to the dealer next week (have clear bra appt. tomorrow) to resolve some of these issues. Thoughts?

Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Hmmm.....

Definitely take it back to dealer and remind them that it's a Rolex, not a Seiko. A car that new shouldn't be having issues like that. Give the dealer a chance to handle it. I'm sure they'll get everything worked out for you.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 03-29-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:00 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Def take it in. I live in the worst part of the country for roads. Expansions, cracks, recessed manhole covers, potholes from snow freeze and snowplows, etc. Much of the south suburbs are concrete roads which might not sound bad but they have expansion joints every 20 feet so there are slabs as you drive. thump thump thump thump every half a second. Terrible..and water gets under those slabs and freezes - then they heave and don't sit uniformly.

And I must say this is the most solid car I've every driven. I have no rattles or squeaks after 1000 miles.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Just talked to the dealer; according to the sales guy because I have keyless drive, if the key is in my pocket and if pressure is applied anywhere near the Porsche crest... its normal for the trunk to pop as the car thinks I'm trying to open it. He said lock the car and take the key away and see if it happens again. It makes sense... but kinda is a bad idea if you ask me because you have to close the trunk 30 times when power washing the front of it, lol.

I put a coat of wax on it last night and also found a couple small dark brown spots (looks like motor oil) flaws in the paint. They are the size of a pen tip and under the clear coat. There are two of the on the car. The car is Agate Grey Metallic. Not sure if I'm being too picky but for $120K car... you'd think it would be flawless in every way? Not sure if I'm just too **** about these types of things or what.... my last car was a 2010 MB C63 AMG and that car was absolutely flawless in every way. I never had to go to the dealer in 40,000 miles for anything but normal service and tires, lol. Thoughts?

I have 443 miles on the car today. Road trip to Chicago tomorrow for clear bra install. Trying to get to 2,000 miles by next Friday for a track day :-)

Old 03-29-2012, 08:06 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
for what its worth my BMW has comfort access and does the same thing when you wash it. I wouldn't fret about it.

You have 443 miles on your car and your waxing it? I thought they had a pretty good coat on them at arrival.

I honestly don't know by my dealer told me not to do anything to the finish for a few thousand miles.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by EricP
for what its worth my BMW has comfort access and does the same thing when you wash it. I wouldn't fret about it.

You have 443 miles on your car and your waxing it? I thought they had a pretty good coat on them at arrival.

I honestly don't know by my dealer told me not to do anything to the finish for a few thousand miles.
I wanted to get a coat of wax on it before the 500 mile drive for clear bra install (bugs and stuff). I'm shooting across rural Iowa to Chicago and the bugs there are the size of quarters, lol. I also used this awesome wax called Pinnacle Souveran. The stuff is amazing. The dealer didn't tell me not wax it or anything. I figured the clear bra installer will take the wax off the areas I'm putting the bra on so I'd hit it again after the clear bra install to make sure its 100% covered.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by 991_Omaha
I wanted to get a coat of wax on it before the 500 mile drive for clear bra install (bugs and stuff). I'm shooting across rural Iowa to Chicago and the bugs there are the size of quarters, lol. I also used this awesome wax called Pinnacle Souveran. The stuff is amazing. The dealer didn't tell me not wax it or anything. I figured the clear bra installer will take the wax off the areas I'm putting the bra on so I'd hit it again after the clear bra install to make sure its 100% covered.
Makes total sense.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:45 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Glad you got the keyless entry/powerwash issue figured out.

Do you have a sunroof?

Oh and congrats on new car. Let's see some pics!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Hmmm.....

Definitely take it back to dealer and remind them that it's a Rolex, not a Seiko. A car that new shouldn't not be having issues like that. Give the dealer a chance to handle it. I'm sure they'll get everything worked out for you.
lol, that other post just keeps giving lol

Old 03-29-2012, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by fbroen
Glad you got the keyless entry/powerwash issue figured out.

Do you have a sunroof?

Oh and congrats on new car. Let's see some pics!
Yep, I have the sunroof. I'm thinking that's what it is. I'll post some pics shortly.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
No experience with the 991 sunroof, so this may be totally useless information....

...But owned a 997 "Targa," which in some ways is not that dissimilar of a roof panel size. It would chat with me at times as components rubbed a bit. I put some rubber softener/maintenance/whatever product on the seals/attachment points to lube them up and it would quiet it down. Perhaps worth a try.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Delivery day pics....

Attached Images    
Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by fbroen
No experience with the 991 sunroof, so this may be totally useless information....

...But owned a 997 "Targa," which in some ways is not that dissimilar of a roof panel size. It would chat with me at times as components rubbed a bit. I put some rubber softener/maintenance/whatever product on the seals/attachment points to lube them up and it would quiet it down. Perhaps worth a try.
I'm going to make the dealer handle it. No reason a $120K car should have those types of squeaks. Its enough to drive you crazy. The thing squeaks on every single bump in the road and I don't mean big bumps. You can literally hear every single flaw in the road as the squeak lets you know you just ran over a small pebble, lol. I'm hoping that I don't go insane during the 6 hour drive to Chicago. I already took it to the dealer the other day and let them listen to it; they agree something is not right. I just can't leave the car with them this week because of the clear bra appt.

Just posted this thread to see if anyone else had the same issue so I could let the dealer know where it was coming from. Its hard to tell because no matter where you apply pressure on the headliner it doesn't go away. I was hoping to avoid the dealer spending a week trying to figure out where the squeaks are coming from.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:13 AM
dakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud of
Hood sensor

The new 991's have a sensor in the front to open the trunk. When you swipe your hands across it opens. I'm guessing the pressure initiates this also. My suggestion would be to lock the car when spraying water on it.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:15 AM
I would be willing to wager that I just answered that question -- where the sunroof edges meet the roof.

Great looking car. Agate is very nice color.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 991... squeaks and rattles, hood issue?