Day 2 with 991-S and it left me stranded!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:53 AM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
That sucks. I am so sorry. I would get at least a new engine and not a fix to the existing one.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:31 PM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
I had a 2005 C2s that had a check engine light come on a couple of times, go away and then stay on. The dealer's engine analyzer kept showing different things from different cylinders. They messed with it a couple of days before they called Porsche in Germany for guidance. Whoever talked to them in Germany was furious that they tried to fix it first. They wanted that motor back for analysis. They air-shipped a new motor complete with new everything already on it that arrived the very next day. By this I mean new power steering, new air conditioner, new fuel injection system and anything else that touched the motor or attached to it with brackets or belts. The only thing the dealer had to do was fill it with fluids and attach the wiring harness. It was a clean install, no mess, no smells and, of course, better than the defective one. It never gave any more problems.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 911dreamer
I wonder if this feature can be turned off permanently by the dealer? I will never use it, so its worthless to me, especially if is might cause this kind of problem.

Mistake..sorry

Last edited by Dave07997S; 04-11-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:55 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by miamiadjuster
Too late! Cylinder #1 is bad. They are recommending an engine replacement but also said they can repair it. I'm thinking, new car! What do you guys think?

I still can't wrap my head around this. INSANE!
At least a new "complete" engine . I would never agree to a rebuild or repair. I feel for you...

Old 04-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Too late! Cylinder #1 is bad. They are recommending an engine replacement but also said they can repair it. I'm thinking, new car! What do you guys think?

I would push for a new car, though I don't know how realistic that is. After spending that kind of money, there really isn't any excuse for an engine failure on day 2.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 PM
muifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of light

You will want to check with your counsel in the state, but I believe you are at the teetering point of invoking lemon law. So don't wait for the outcome of the repairs and try for a new car. An engine failure is quite serious.

They can fix on their terms and easily put this one back into the demo fleet without the risk of having it labeled as such.

Here's a link to California's Lemon Law

http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon

Last edited by muifast; 04-11-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:45 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
+1 they owe you a brand new car. Let them sell that lemon to someone else.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:26 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gleek48
that sucks. I am so sorry. I would get at least a new engine and not a fix to the existing one.
+1

bol

Old 04-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Former Vendor
sales@ECU Tuning Group is just really nicesales@ECU Tuning Group is just really nicesales@ECU Tuning Group is just really nicesales@ECU Tuning Group is just really nicesales@ECU Tuning Group is just really nice
Sorry to hear about the problem. Hopefully it will get fixed and sort itself out.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:32 PM
miamiadjuster has a spectacular aura aboutmiamiadjuster has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jmmk
I had a 2005 C2s that had a check engine light come on a couple of times, go away and then stay on. The dealer's engine analyzer kept showing different things from different cylinders. They messed with it a couple of days before they called Porsche in Germany for guidance. Whoever talked to them in Germany was furious that they tried to fix it first. They wanted that motor back for analysis. They air-shipped a new motor complete with new everything already on it that arrived the very next day. By this I mean new power steering, new air conditioner, new fuel injection system and anything else that touched the motor or attached to it with brackets or belts. The only thing the dealer had to do was fill it with fluids and attach the wiring harness. It was a clean install, no mess, no smells and, of course, better than the defective one. It never gave any more problems.
That is what they're proposing right now as well. Germany wants the entire engine back for analysis. New car is still on the table as well but with a July delivery date. I'm kind of torn.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:39 PM
muifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of light
That is what they're proposing right now as well. Germany wants the entire engine back for analysis. New car is still on the table as well but with a July delivery date. I'm kind of torn.
You know they will take extra care of you the next time around and maybe an all inclusive trip to their Performance Center too.

July is not that long.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Hoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to all
I just took delivery of my brand new 2012 991S after waiting for about 5 months. I was elated! Everything was perfect and the car was working perfectly fine. I was not revving over 4000 rpm's as the manual states for the break-in period. I took it home and that was that.

In all the excitement of picking up the car, I left a set of house keys at the dealer and had to go pick them up. I picked up my buddy the following day and as I went to get my keys at the dealer. My friend and I had been debating as to when the Automatic Off activates itself in the car. Ten minutes after I left the dealer I come to a stop at a stop light and the car shuts off. We were like, "Sweet, the automatic off worked!". So I accelerated to start the car again, only it wouldn't start. I turned the car completely off and back on, it started, stuttered, and then shut back off. I tried this a few more times before I called Porsche Roadside to pick the car up and bring it back to my dealer.

The dealer took it in and they said that it did stutter for them when they started it, they accelerated it and it cleared up. Now its running fine supposedly. They recommended it stay until Monday so they can do some road tests with the computer hooked up to see if anything comes up.

Up to this point no one knows what the hell it was. Any takers?
I took delivery of my brand new 2010 997.2 Turbo at my house from a dealer in another state. I was out of the country so my wife let them put it in the garage. The next day she called me to say it was leaking some fluid. I called roadside service and they took it to the local service dealer. There was a radiator hose leak. I had 0 personal miles in the car and not even seen it and there was a problem.

However that event has not changed my opinion on Porsche. The cars are not perfect and will have things that happen from time to time, even at the worst time. Overall my car has been extremely reliable. I have taken the car to many track events and driven the car extremely hard in 100+F weather and the car pushes on in good health. I hope you have the same positive outcome as I have had with it.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:16 PM
jdsc will become famous soon enough
I think what you are going through is everyone's greatest fear. A brand new car with problems. A July delivery would make it a '13 which should make a difference in resale value if you are purchasing. Just a thought. Sorry to see you go through this hassel. If it were me, I would push for a new car simply because of the year change. But, with a new motor, it should be good as gold. If you go that route, see if you can get an extended warranty as good will for your trouble. Good luck.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:20 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Difficult choice - sorry you have to make it. Can't imagine how having a totally new engine under these conditions and with the documentation (save all of it) will have too big an impact on resale. It is a totally new engine and the rest of the car is fine.

If it were me, it would come down to whether or not I want a 2013 and want to second guess some of the options/color choices I made. If I want a do over, now that I have seen the car, make them take it back and get you another. If not, get the new engine, get some additional coverage and whatever the dealer is willing to do for you, and have the car back on the road, and a big smile on your face, in days, not months. Just my opinion. But again, difficult. Best of luck!

Old 04-11-2012, 05:24 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jmmk
This is why it's not likely that you will need arbitration! But I'd still keep the documentation. And if they have seriously given the option of a July delivery and a car to drive until then, I'd seriously consider it.

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 04-11-2012 at 05:28 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Day 2 with 991-S and it left me stranded!