I am getting a 2013 .. bye ,bye 997.2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:57 AM
hockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by adias
Larry: the 'issue' is not throttle; it's the braking profile. Brake to a stop like a limo driver and the 'jerkiness' happens. It's a mechanical design decision to hold the shift long and when it happens the engine compression shows up as a sudden braking. Apply brakes with a more aggressive profile and no jerkiness.

And as I said it can be dialed out as it was in the 991. But it is not better performance, just a less sportier engineering decision. Yeah, I know dealers will claim it's new, it's better. And customers will get excited - catastrophe theory at work.

In any case, as you said elsewhere, the 991 is more Pana-like, quieter, more GT, and more stable, less pendulum, less go-kart, dare I say less 911. But many love it.
I would bet that Adias is correct to some degree. And yet so too is Yrralis1. Everyone who drive one says that the pdk in the 991 is smoother than the 997, particularly in sport mode. The jerkiness is just about gone. Clearly, they have programmed the pdk to be much smoother, particularly in the 2nd to 1st gear downshift....
But there's likely a trade-off. The trade-off being that not only does the new programming affect 2 to 1 downshift, it also likely affects 1 to 2 upshift also.
Both are less aggressive. That might be a major reason why people also say that the 991 doesn't quite have the low-end torque of the 997, despite the lighter weight and higher horsepower. The pdk is now more smooth, but less aggressive.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:39 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hockeyguy4u
I would bet that Adias is correct to some degree. And yet so too is Yrralis1. Everyone who drive one says that the pdk in the 991 is smoother than the 997, particularly in sport mode. The jerkiness is just about gone. Clearly, they have programmed the pdk to be much smoother, particularly in the 2nd to 1st gear downshift....
But there's likely a trade-off. The trade-off being that not only does the new programming affect 2 to 1 downshift, it also likely affects 1 to 2 upshift also.
Both are less aggressive. That might be a major reason why people also say that the 991 doesn't quite have the low-end torque of the 997, despite the lighter weight and higher horsepower. The pdk is now more smooth, but less aggressive.
hockeyguy4u:
That's my observation also.

ChuckJ

Old 04-21-2012, 01:11 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
I have absolutely no experience with PDK, but will add what I heard from a reputable friend of mine (15+ years Porsche service tech): He said the new PDK is improved. When I asked isn't it just a programming issue? He said 'no', that Porsche tried to re-program the old one to match the new enhancements and couldn't.

Also, rumor is new turbo to get an 8-speed PDK? Anyone else hear this?

Old 04-21-2012, 07:12 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
In this drag race of the 997 Vs 991 the 997 does not leap out with extra low end torque from a standstill . It then pulls away even more while going.

On upshifts the 991 is smoother and faster . I realize that most 997 owners wont want to face this . Like i said .. there are thousand$ of reasons to sit in denial with it because its not as though the 09 PDK was awful or i would have sold the car instead of keeping it for 3 years.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:40 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
That might be a major reason why people also say that the 991 doesn't quite have the low-end torque of the 997, despite the lighter weight and higher horsepower. The pdk is now more smooth, but less aggressive.
I have no prior experience with PDK and my 991 is a 7spd manual with 800km in the clock, so still driving it like an old lady.
Right now I have in my Garage a PDK demo for the weekend and when I drive it in sport plus / manual mode, all the jerkiness is there, upshifting and downshifting in lower gears is very agressive, almost uncomfortable.
I am beating the crrap out of this car, very fun.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:28 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
In this drag race of the 997 Vs 991 the 997 does not leap out with extra low end torque from a standstill . It then pulls away even more while going.

On upshifts the 991 is smoother and faster . I realize that most 997 owners wont want to face this . Like i said .. there are thousand$ of reasons to sit in denial with it because its not as though the 09 PDK was awful or i would have sold the car instead of keeping it for 3 years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmt4W5SrLJI
Ah, now I see what's important - drag strip bragging rights. No denial here. The issue is not the reason$ you insinuate... I would rather spend far more in a Singer for that matter. But to the point... assuming stock to stock, the 991 extra 20lbft of torque and same or slightly less mass will do that. But come on? 911s and drag strips ?!? I would rather carve twisty canyon roads, but what do I know about Porsches?

Re PDK jerkiness I stand by what I stated. My car does not do that, or does it (minimally) when I drive it like a grandma.

Last edited by adias; 04-21-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:25 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Ah, now I see what's important - drag strip bragging rights. No denial here. The issue is not the reason$ you insinuate... I would rather spend far more in a Singer for that matter. But to the point... assuming stock to stock, the 991 extra 20lbft of torque and same or slightly less mass will do that. But come on? 911s and drag strips ?!? I would rather carve twisty canyon roads, but what do I know about Porsches?

Re PDK jerkiness I stand by what I stated. My car does not do that, or does it (minimally) when I drive it like a grandma.
I have absolutely no interest in drag racing a 991S .My point was geared towards the assertion that low end torque was "lacking" (compared to a 997) and that somehow this relates to PDK differences .

Old 04-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by galion
I have no prior experience with PDK and my 991 is a 7spd manual with 800km in the clock, so still driving it like an old lady.
Right now I have in my Garage a PDK demo for the weekend and when I drive it in sport plus / manual mode, all the jerkiness is there, upshifting and downshifting in lower gears is very agressive, almost uncomfortable.
I am beating the crrap out of this car, very fun.
Sport plus is an aggresive setting . By selecting it you are basically requesting this.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:56 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Sport plus is an aggresive setting . By selecting it you are basically requesting this.
For the record, I often drive in SC Sport Plus (997.2S) in manual mode and experience no jerkiness. Same on D mode which I do not use on the street since it shifts exclusively at redline.

I suspect that there are a few PDKs out there that are either uncalibrated or their adaptive shift pattern learned very bad habits.

Last edited by adias; 04-21-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:28 PM
For the record, I often drive in SC Sport Plus (997.2S) in manual mode and experience no jerkiness. Same on D mode which I do not use on the street since it shifts exclusively at redline.

I suspect that there are a few PDKs out there that are either uncalibrated or their adaptive shift pattern learned very bad habits.
I don't drive in sport plus auto . It's not a street setting . Agree .

With manual setting there is no jerkiness in either car (that's why i drove mine in manual 95 percent of the time) . I rarely used sport plus.

I do feel that even in manual setting the 991 has a more efficient and faster shift . The demo I drove did not even have sport plus and yet the shifts in "sport" manual were comparable to sport plus manual on my 09 car.

My reply was to a forum member who owns a manual car and to many coming out of a manual the PDK is a new experience altogether.

I do have a comment . In the 997 forum you did mention that even when a model is not revised into the next model year that there are still small improvements over time . To think that the PDK hasn't evolved is IMO the best way of enjoying your current 997.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Michaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the rough
Larry: Have your '09 PDK calibrated. Trust me, no difference between a properly calibrated 997.2 PDK and the 991. I drove both.

Now... the Symposer psycho-acoustically enhances the sense of speed and PDK shifts. Siren song.

But, congratulations on your new car. You are going to love it!
Thank you!

Old 04-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Michaelwww
Thank you!
Thanking him won't make the 991 PDK less efficient . Buying the 991 will place a new perspective on your 997 PDK .

Old 04-21-2012, 11:02 PM
I don't drive in sport plus auto . It's not a street setting . Agree .

With manual setting there is no jerkiness in either car (that's why i drove mine in manual 95 percent of the time) . I rarely used sport plus.

I do feel that even in manual setting the 991 has a more efficient and faster shift . The demo I drove did not even have sport plus and yet the shifts in "sport" manual were comparable to sport plus manual on my 09 car.

My reply was to a forum member who owns a manual car and to many coming out of a manual the PDK is a new experience altogether.

I do have a comment . In the 997 forum you did mention that even when a model is not revised into the next model year that there are still small improvements over time . To think that the PDK hasn't evolved is IMO the best way of enjoying your current 997.
Larry: Any manufactured product evolves certainly, from year to year during a version run, and between versions. Sometimes thoses changes are great, other times indifferent or worse. I am sure the 991 PDK is different than the 997.2 PDK. It has to be, for a number of reasons, and performance is not necessarily the main reason. For example, PAG/ZF changed the PDK in the 991 to allow its basic components to be used in the strictly shifted manual. There may be cost savings reasons too, for what we know. The UI (User Interface) aspects you've been talking about are mainly software, and yes that software may be 991 specific, and not backward compatible with the 997.2 PDK.

Another aspect to consider is that we are using all this Internet bandwidth discussing an infinitesimal (time-wise) aspect of the PDK - shifting action. A PDK is a clutch driven tranny, therefore once the shift is done, there's no slip. Once a gear change is made, there is no difference between the performance of a manual tranny, a 997.2 PDK or a 991 PDK.

And again the action/feel during that shifting deltaT is just an engineering choice: firm/sporty action or saloon-smooth. No big deal. Really! Enjoy your 991!

Note: On this thread I have been arguing the PDK component of the 991. Don't get me started on the car dynamics.

Last edited by adias; 04-21-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
<---not a 991 fastback fan. Just my opinion. The Caby 991 looks ok though, mainly because the fastback / Panamera design is minimized.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:12 AM
Larry: Any manufactured product evolves certainly, from year to year during a version run, and between versions. Sometimes thoses changes are great, other times indifferent or worse. I am sure the 991 PDK is different than the 997.2 PDK. It has to be, for a number of reasons, and performance is not necessarily the main reason. For example, PAG/ZF changed the PDK in the 991 to allow its basic components to be used in the strictly shifted manual. There may be cost savings reasons too, for what we know. The UI (User Interface) aspects you've been talking about are mainly software, and yes that software may be 991 specific, and not backward compatible with the 997.2 PDK.

Another aspect to consider is that we are using all this Internet bandwidth discussing an infinitesimal (time-wise) aspect of the PDK - shifting action. A PDK is a clutch driven tranny, therefore once the shift is done, there's no slip. Once a gear change is made, there is no difference between the performance of a manual tranny, a 997.2 PDK or a 991 PDK.

And again the action/feel during that shifting deltaT is just an engineering choice: firm/sporty action or saloon-smooth. No big deal. Really! Enjoy your 991!

Note: On this thread I have been arguing the PDK component of the 991. Don't get me started on the car dynamics.
My original post on this thread was simply to share that I got a new car rather than have a PDK debate .

I highlighted your own statements (above) in red . It says a lot because it's inconsistent with "Trust me, no difference between a properly calibrated 997.2 PDK and the 991"

I also don't know how you can sustantiate the portion you wrote (color coded in green ) and claim to know the "reasons" .

If you don't like the 991 enough to buy one . Good for you .
I liked my 997 (even kept my 997 Turbo) but I also am very happy to get a 991.

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-22-2012 at 02:14 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I am getting a 2013 .. bye ,bye 997.2S