I am getting a 2013 .. bye ,bye 997.2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:39 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
Larry: Have your '09 PDK calibrated. Trust me, no difference between a properly calibrated 997.2 PDK and the 991. I drove both.

Now... the Symposer psycho-acoustically enhances the sense of speed and PDK shifts. Siren song.

But, congratulations on your new car. You are going to love it!
This is not the case . My modified 997.2 may have even been faster and the acoustics of the older car's FVD plus Werks airbox clearly blew away the stock 991 exhaust or speed/shift perception . I was not enticed by the car and even walked away confused at first but there wasn't a doubt in my mind about the PDK.

My focus of PDK shifts was based on a variery of driving speeds . Much of my driving was even at very sl;ow speeds too. My old posts on the 09 car did mention that with 7 speeds and having to frequently manually shift in moderate to standstil traffic was an effort (because of jerkiness in auto sport mode).
I was not the only one who complained about the jerkiness and with 3+k miles it subsided a little and became liveable .. but not ideal .

The 991 has none of this . I also spoke at length .. not with sales but with service to go over the improvements and PDK was the thing they noticed as well . Even the couresy driver who has spent time with only the newest models has spent the last four years seeing the model year differences in the multiple demo cars he has driven .

If this really was the wrong car to buy I woild have been the first to maintain that view but i do feel that when presented with the new car and a very different 911 concept it did take time to re evaluate my position and actually buy the car.

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-19-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:07 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
The 991 is a great car no doubt, especially if all-around 'stability' and freedom of go-kart antics is sought.

But its PDK is no different than a 997.2 PDK. The 2-1 SC Sport jerkiness has everything to do with drive style. I can demonstrate it or eliminate it. PDK calibration can do that too by smoothing/feathering the clutches. But, incidentally, I am not sure that smoothing it is ideal - perhaps for someone who lusts for a limo ride, but from a sports car shifting performance I am not sure.

I also drove a 991S PDK in an extended drive and (knowing my PDK in and out) I saw its behavior. I can make it jerk too. PAG marketing is great, the best!

I am sure you'll love the 991. Great car! But you are not getting it because the PDK is better, because it is not.

Last edited by adias; 04-20-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:43 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The 991 is a great car no doubt, especially if all-around 'stability' and freedom of go-kart antics is sought.

But its PDK is no different than a 997.2 PDK. The 2-1 SC Sport jerkiness has everything to do with drive style. I can demonstrate it or eliminate it. PDK calibration can do that too by smoothing/feathering the clutches. But, incidentally, I am not sure that smoothing it is ideal - perhaps for someone who lusts for a limo ride, but from a sports car shifting performance I am not sure.

I also drove a 991S PDK in an extended drive and (knowing my PDK in and out) I saw its behavior. I can make it jerk too. PAG marketing is great, the best!

I am sure you'll love the 991. Great car! But you are not getting it because the PDK is better, because it is not.
Many of the posts in the 991 section are first time PDK owners and NONE of the types of posts (see old posts below) apear like back in 09 . Back then it took time to modulate the throttle and many even accepted the jerkiness or abrupt shifts as "normal" . Of course one can tether driving to lessen the inevitable with the older car and sit in denial with it . I had thousands ($$$) of reasons to rationalize it and facing it for what it was ended up being expensive . BUT .. the new car does not have it .. If they did they would be writing about it.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ave-fixed.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...more-jolt.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...k-shifted.html

Old 04-20-2012, 01:07 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Larry: the 'issue' is not throttle; it's the braking profile. Brake to a stop like a limo driver and the 'jerkiness' happens. It's a mechanical design decision to hold the shift long and when it happens the engine compression shows up as a sudden braking. Apply brakes with a more aggressive profile and no jerkiness.

And as I said it can be dialed out as it was in the 991. But it is not better performance, just a less sportier engineering decision. Yeah, I know dealers will claim it's new, it's better. And customers will get excited - catastrophe theory at work.

In any case, as you said elsewhere, the 991 is more Pana-like, quieter, more GT, and more stable, less pendulum, less go-kart, dare I say less 911. But many love it.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:36 AM
Larry: the 'issue' is not throttle; it's the braking profile. Brake to a stop like a limo driver and the 'jerkiness' happens. It's a mechanical design decision to hold the shift long and when it happens the engine compression shows up as a sudden braking. Apply brakes with a more aggressive profile and no jerkiness.

And as I said it can be dialed out as it was in the 991. But it is not better performance, just a less sportier engineering decision. Yeah, I know dealers will claim it's new, it's better. And customers will get excited - catastrophe theory at work.

In any case, as you said elsewhere, the 991 is more Pana-like, quieter, more GT, and more stable, less pendulum, less go-kart, dare I say less 911. But many love it.
It's not only the softer shift . It's faster and smoother , and even rev matches with more precision . It's improved over time and years of testing just like the rest of the car . That much is the entire premise of an evolving multi decade auto icon .

It can give luxury . It can also perform and beat the 997.2S .

The dealership made no claims UNTIL I mentioned it to them . then we discussed it as a topic and we didn;y just discuss things we liked about the 991 . Nothing is perfect but this new PDK setup is the real deal .

Look Adias .. if i was the only person who loved the new 991 PDK others woild chime in and say that they want to trade in their 991 for a 997 much like many voiced trading a 997 for a 993 . It's not as though there is some giant refusal to go back in time to the classic porsches .. but this may not be the case as PDK evolves . In fact if this discussion was about the manual transmission and the location of the lever or the 7 speeds .. then a "997 is great " might be a better argument on that topic.

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-20-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:48 AM
mstams is on a distinguished road
I can definitely tell a huge improvement in the 991 PDK from my early build 997.2 C4S. I was an early adopter of PDK and posted several complaints about the 2-1 Sport Auto downshift -- which eventually got better but was always a sore spot for me (pushed me to drive exclusively in manual mode). When the 991 first came out, I test drove and intentionally compared the exact same scenarios on the exact same roads/stoplights/etc. I was amazed at the improvement of the PDK. It's just that much better. They have really done a great job with the new PDK.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:11 AM
DS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to behold
congratulations!

- Did you get a sunroof or the new moonroof?
- Did you consider Aerokit cup? / Sport design wing?

Last edited by DS997c2s; 04-20-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:47 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I keep promising my wife (and myself) that I won't go drive a 991...but stories like yours aren't helping! Maybe I'll wait until the 4S (hopefully WB) comes around...

Congrats, will be a great car to drive.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:30 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dallascajun
I keep promising my wife (and myself) that I won't go drive a 991...but stories like yours aren't helping! Maybe I'll wait until the 4S (hopefully WB) comes around...

Tell you wife you want to save some money and just get an S.

ChuckJ

Old 04-20-2012, 06:27 PM
rdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of light

Why would you want a 4S in Dallas? Unless you are going to use it as a daily driver in the snow belt, the S will be faster.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:34 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by rdalcanto
Why would you want a 4S in Dallas? Unless you are going to use it as a daily driver in the snow belt, the S will be faster.
I want a WB more than I want AWD. We'll see if the 991 4S is still a WB. For now, I'm watching all of these other folks move on 'up'...and it's fun.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:07 PM
rdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of light
I want a WB more than I want AWD. We'll see if the 991 4S is still a WB. For now, I'm watching all of these other folks move on 'up'...and it's fun.
I'm sorry. WB?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 PM
caveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nice
Originally Posted by rdalcanto
I'm sorry. WB?
WB = Wide Body as in the wider rear end of the 997 C4 anc C4S models

Old 04-21-2012, 05:03 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I traded my car today and added on a lot of options to my original cost savings notions . The word thrifty and Porsche in the same sentence is almost as odd as a luxury 911 (double oxymoron) but i did it !!!
Wow, that was quick! Besides the PDK, why the change of heart?

Old 04-21-2012, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by caveatesq
WB = Wide Body as in the wider rear end of the 997 C4 anc C4S models
Interesting. I thought the "S" gave you the WB, rather than the 4. Oops...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I am getting a 2013 .. bye ,bye 997.2S