997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2 -1 PDK downshift /suddenly no more jolt ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 05:53 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
2 -1 PDK downshift /suddenly no more jolt ?

I rarely drive in sport auto . Most of the time I drive in manual mode selecting the sport option. I much prefer shifting my gears.

Today I had a buddy take his first ride in my car and I decided to show him the PDK features . Now prior to this my car did sit for about 10 days. Due to the rain last week and nice days that followed I found myself driving my other cars . This was the longest rest period my PDK car got since I bought it .

So I start out on normal auto today showing him that feature . Then I switched into sport auto and prepared him for the 2 -1 downshift jolt and it did not happen. In fact I drove it more , even stomped on it a bit to see if that would set it . NOTHING . Every other aspect of sport was identical as 10 days ago and since I don't drive in sport auto I don't even recall when I used it last .

Any ideas as to why? Car has 2700 miles . It was great driving it today. I still prefer manual mode much more though.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:23 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Laryy I have no idea. I have 10,000+ miles and mine still dies the 2-1 sport auto jolt . Told my dealer about the TSB 2 weeks ago and still have not heard anything

Old 12-23-2009, 06:27 PM
type997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant future
Mine quit doing that too?

Old 12-23-2009, 06:31 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Question:

Is it because most people shift themselves that we don't see this posted more often.

Or is it just an issue on a few cars.

thanks

Old 12-23-2009, 06:40 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
The jolt, if any, depends on the dynamics of the shift. If the shift occurs as the car is still coasting it will jolt due to presence the higher compression of a 1st gear, slowing the car. It happens on a manual too, but the manual driver is mentally prepared for the shift and does not notice it. If the stop is more pronounced by braking harder, the jolt will not be noticed.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:02 PM
mstams is on a distinguished road
Mine completely disappeared as well. I've mentioned it before as have others. After my break-in period (2,000 miles), I stopped using Auto for about another 1,000 miles. Then I decided to try it again after reading others mention its disappearance. To my surprise, it was gone and has been gone now ever since (another 3,000 miles). I, too, thought it was something I was doing differently -- but after testing every possible scenario to make it happen again, I simply cannot make it happen. It's hard to believe, but it's true. And boy am I glad...

Last edited by mstams; 12-23-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:08 PM
mstams is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mdrums
Laryy I have no idea. I have 10,000+ miles and mine still dies the 2-1 sport auto jolt . Told my dealer about the TSB 2 weeks ago and still have not heard anything

Which TSB do you mean? I was one of the owners who tried to convince my dealer that one existed earlier this year. After hearing me complain, they tried to pacify me by "reloading" the software, but this did not help the 2-1 Sport Auto jerk. Fortunately, the jerking has disappeared on its own as I just mentioned in my earlier post. However, I would like to know if there was an actual TSB that might have been applied without me knowing. Any reference number I could check? Thanks.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:10 PM
7Speed is on a distinguished road
You need track your car.....!!!! lol

Old 12-23-2009, 08:41 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Could the ECU be programmed to behave differently after a certain mileage point? I ask because it is well known that with Audi your car reawakens and get perkier a few time within the initial 10,000 miles. Maybe its some feature that helps breaks things in, but then why wouldn't the dealer tell the complaining customer that its normal-unless they too do not know.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:22 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
Have you ever let the car sit for 10 days ? I had not until now as it had been used daily . The other factor was that I don't even remember when I drove it in sport auto before today . The only reason I even tried it today was that i was showing the car's features and explaining it a bit .

Old 12-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by adias
The jolt, if any, depends on the dynamics of the shift. If the shift occurs as the car is still coasting it will jolt due to presence the higher compression of a 1st gear, slowing the car. It happens on a manual too, but the manual driver is mentally prepared for the shift and does not notice it. If the stop is more pronounced by braking harder, the jolt will not be noticed.
In the past there were throttle adjustments of my right foot that could lessen it but today it simply wasn't there at all. Yet the car did not have any other driving aspect different . In fact I even spent quite some time testing it . I even tested it at length after my buddy got out of the car factoring out any doubts about his weight having anything to do with it (he's heavy -approx 230 lbs ). I even shut the car off , let it sit and retested it .

Old 12-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by mstams
Mine completely disappeared as well. I've mentioned it before as have others. After my break-in period (2,000 miles), I stopped using Auto for about another 1,000 miles. Then I decided to try it again after reading others mention its disappearance. To my surprise, it was gone and has been gone now ever since (another 3,000 miles). I, too, thought it was something I was doing differently -- but after testing every possible scenario to make it happen again, I simply cannot make it happen. It's hard to believe, but it's true. And boy am I glad...

+1 . I also stopped and followed the same route of using manual mode and the miles just ticked by.

Like yourself --I am glad but I still won't use it. I really prefer shifting myself and having the full engagement . For me .. the paddles made a big difference too . It's not that i disliked the buttons. I simply prefer the paddles .

Old 12-27-2009, 04:55 PM
gjnockie is on a distinguished road
Hi Larry:

Mine has 1300 miles on it now and it does not jerk at all in sport mode. It did during the first 700 miles but no longer. It sits quite a bit.

My "service car now" warning has come up. I guess the car was built 1 year ago. I am kind of ticked off about this. Why should I have to pay for the first service now. It's not my fault it sat on the dealers lot so long. Did you have this issue also?

Old 12-27-2009, 05:13 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Have you ever let the car sit for 10 days ? I had not until now as it had been used daily . The other factor was that I don't even remember when I drove it in sport auto before today . The only reason I even tried it today was that i was showing the car's features and explaining it a bit .
Hi Larry, well it is sitting now and will be 2 weeks until after New Years so I will see

Old 12-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by gjnockie
Hi Larry:

Mine has 1300 miles on it now and it does not jerk at all in sport mode. It did during the first 700 miles but no longer. It sits quite a bit.

My "service car now" warning has come up. I guess the car was built 1 year ago. I am kind of ticked off about this. Why should I have to pay for the first service now. It's not my fault it sat on the dealers lot so long. Did you have this issue also?
I did not have a service light come on . I have 3K miles on it. On my Turbo I did the oil change at 5K miles and again at 9200 . On my 997S I usually wait until 7500 miles or 1 year (whichever comes first) .

My pure guess on the sport auto jerkiness into 1st is that it must be some type of break in program which seems to reset over time. Perhaps Porsche set it this way to make sure that if a person is driving it in sport mode before break in period is complete that maybe he ought to reconsider it . I don't know if its a function of time, ignitions, or miles before it resets but many of us have experienced it and the transition range is 700-6000 miles (using this forum info as an informal data tool) . Mdrums is thus far the only person who hasn't experienced it but if his car is sitting maybe upon the next startup he might .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2 -1 PDK downshift /suddenly no more jolt ?