991 posts at RL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 01:43 PM
tmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
Whoever I hear someone call a boxster a chick car it's obvious to me they have never driven one.

Nor do they know much about driving and driving dynamics....IMHO of course.
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
I know MJones and have discussed tracking and PSDS with him. He is very knowledgeable.
To quote MJones from his post in question "The car (991) has been designed for the lady's".

So I guess it's possible to be knowledgeble about driving but also to cast stereotypical sexist aspersions about good cars?

No offense, BW. Just couldn't resist!

Old 04-25-2012, 01:52 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sapster
You may call this harping, but I don't think it is unjustified. For months this same individual has been posting negatively over and over about the 991. All I am doing is asking why. It is not unreasonable to ask, but since I haven't got anything approaching an answer from the OP, I am going to leave it at that. Others have suggested answers and I think some of them may be a lot closer to the truth than the OP cares to admit.
This is where you start becoming judged based on the car in your sig, rather than your actual opinion/perspective (I suffer from this prejudgment endlessly).

Old 04-25-2012, 01:52 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tmg57
To quote MJones from his post in question "The car (991) has been designed for the lady's".

So I guess it's possible to be knowledgeble about driving but also to cast stereotypical sexist aspersions about good cars?

you got me there..... but is he casting stereotypical sexist aspersions about a BAD car...you see that is OK in my book...LOL

or is it that the boxster is more of a mans car than the 991...(SARCASM!)

no offense taken...it was a good pick-up.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:58 PM
tmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for taking the post in the spirit it was intended!

Old 04-25-2012, 02:38 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tmg57

Yea, including Danica Patrick!

ChuckJ

Old 04-25-2012, 02:54 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Yea, including Danica Patrick!

ChuckJ
Her old team publicly said she is a real b**tch when she has her periods!! So.. you make up your own mind on this one... I guess it depends..

Old 04-25-2012, 02:59 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hroussard
Her old team publicly said she is a real b**tch when she has her periods!! So.. you make up your own mind on this one... I guess it depends..
Right! Ouch2

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 04-25-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:19 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
i have also noticed Adidas posting negatively re: 991 repeatedly.

and i am not sure why...

everyone already knows how he feels re: 991, no ?

to post his own opinion or experience is one thing..

to start a thread using others opinions to back up his own negativity towards 991 is 'weak'

Last edited by crazycarlitos; 04-25-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:21 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
and a follow up question:

since u say 991 is not a '911'..

what defines a '911' to you?

Old 04-25-2012, 03:45 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
and a follow up question:

since u say 991 is not a '911'..

what defines a '911' to you?
This is getting REALLY boring..... anything you can comment on with regard to YOUR experiences with the 991??

Old 04-25-2012, 04:58 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
Your counterarguments actually make it clear why you like the 991 more than I do.

I agree that the 911 has continued to evolve over the generations, with the change from air to water cooled being significant. But I think the change in driving dynamics from the 997 to 991 is far more significant, more revolutionary than evolutionary. With revolutions, you get something fundamentally different, and intentionally so. Sometimes it works out better, sometimes not, and it often depends on who you ask.

As far 'beating' the GT-R, etc., no, I'm not concerned about beating its drag racing and lap times. I've driven the GT-R back to back with a considerably slower base 997, and I enjoyed the 997 much more, again mainly because of the driving dynamics which are (were) unique to the 911. And the 911 is still plenty fast, even in base form. How fast do you need to be on public roads, or even on the track?

And regardless of any speed 'deficits', the sales numbers showed that the 911 was already beating other sports cars by winning on its own terms, using its own recipe which no other brand had even attempted to copy. The new recipe may have more mass appeal (time will tell), but the 911 was meant to be a special car designed for people who love performance driving and are appreciative of nuances which the masses won't even notice.
You dont think Porsche took a risk when they first launched a car with an engine hanging on its rear decades ago ?

It's not just the 13 GTR . The Acura NSX will be out soon as well ( a potential home run technological vehicle) as the new M3 . Mclaren also made a road car . AMG Benz will also evolve .
The other companies ARE growing.

Porsche has to take a risk in order to grow. They happened to have built a great car with the 991 !! I realize its not easy to accept it . It took me a month to even drive one but after my drive I thought it over with an open mind.

And who says the driving dynamics aren't the next step for Porsche with the car ? Do you not think all auto manufacturers are influenced by the economic, envirnomental , and competition concerns ?

Granted .. they may have to change things more in the future .. but at least the car will have a future .

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-25-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:09 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
IB owns both forums.

The problem is not about the forum but moreseo that the person who wrote the original post is absent from the discussion .

Old 04-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Manifold
I view posting links to another forum as being similar to posting links to reviews by car journalists. Since the RL discussion raised some points that I haven't seen raised in 6speed, I found it useful.
Auto jornalists get paid and thus profit from writing an article .
Big difference .

Old 04-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
You dont think Porsche took a risk when they first launched a car with an engine hanging on its rear decades ago ?

It's not just the 13 GTR . The Acura NSX will be out soon as well ( a potential home run technological vehicle) as the new M3 . Mclaren also made a road car . AMG Benz will also evolve .
The other companies ARE growing.

Porsche has to take a risk in order to grow. They happened to have built a great car with the 991 !! I realize its not easy to accept it . It took me a month to even drive one but after my drive I thought it over and grew from the experience .

And who says the driving dynamics aren't the next step for Porsche with the car ? Do you not think all auto manufacturers are influenced by the economy, envirnomental concerns, and ciompetition ?

Granted .. they may have to change things more in the future .. but at least the car will have a future .
You make some valid points, no denying that the 991 is still a great car. But I still wonder if Porsche couldn't have retained more of the beloved driving dynamics while improving performance and other things.

And I really don't see any justification for regressing in the steering feel for the sake of a miniscule gain in gas mileage.

Also, I'm not convinced that those other brands were poised to steal a lot of sales away from the 911. The 911 still had a combination of driving dynamics, measurable performance, daily drivability, pedigree, trackability, and elegant understatement which they couldn't match. I suspect that a modest styling refresh, more weight reduction, and more power would have done the trick.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Auto jornalists get paid and thus profit from writing an article .
Big difference .
Doesn't that make forums, and links thereto, a generally better source of info? That's been my experience.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 posts at RL