Official 991 POWER UPGRADE KIT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Airdoc will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Rainier

What's the bet we're going to see two electric wheel motors in the front in the not too distant future ? Instant, linear additional torque (for a limited time) and makes traditional 4 wheel drive history. Now that's a hybrid that makes sense to me.

Rainier

Enjoy:

"With a stab of the throttle, the kinetic energy in the spinning flywheel is automatically exchanged for electricity – the charged ions power two strong electric motors on the front axle. Instantaneously bestowed with 200 torque-laden horsepower, the sticky Michelin slicks claw at the pavement with a vengeance. I clench the wheel as the carbon-fiber bodied race car lunges forward with more accelerative force than an F-16 fighter jet at takeoff power.

Welcome to the driver's seat of the Porsche 911 GT3 R Hybrid 2.0"

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/15/p...-drive-review/

Old 06-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
Yes, but that is just an impractical development step on the way.
The crux is the energy storage. The motors are fine right now.
The development is focusing on two things: Firstly, the conversion of wheel energy into electrically stored energy. The amount of energy to be strored in a short time (during breaking) is huge - too much to handle practically just yet - but it is going to happen.
Secondly the storage itself. Let's call it a battery for arguments sake. We need a solid state replacement for the flywheel. At least 95% efficiency to avoid too much heat during the conversion process.
A super battery, almost like a giant, oversized capacitor would be.
It's not here yet - but it will be. Couple of years ? We'll see.
There is lots of space in the 991 in the front. Who knows - perhaps the X52 power kit will be more of an option. Trouble is, I'll be really old by then.
Thanks for the link. I was only aware of the 918 development. It is obvious this is getting closer...

On another note - I would imagine the forums will go up in flames if this comes out considering how much chatter the harmless electric steering caused...

Rainier

Originally Posted by Airdoc
Enjoy:

"With a stab of the throttle, the kinetic energy in the spinning flywheel is automatically exchanged for electricity – the charged ions power two strong electric motors on the front axle. Instantaneously bestowed with 200 torque-laden horsepower, the sticky Michelin slicks claw at the pavement with a vengeance. I clench the wheel as the carbon-fiber bodied race car lunges forward with more accelerative force than an F-16 fighter jet at takeoff power.

Welcome to the driver's seat of the Porsche 911 GT3 R Hybrid 2.0"

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/15/p...-drive-review/

Old 06-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Airdoc
Interesting thread.
It would be worth comparing this to the previous generations power kit and hearing the observations from those owners.
got X51 in my club coupe, had 997C2S before it.

30hp is not noticable with street driving. On the track long straight, X51 will pull slightly away from non-X51 from 50 to 100mph. Probably one car length ahead at 130mph.

Definitely not worth $17K. I will pay up to $5000 for it due to sport exhaust and carbon fiber airbox (not sure if available in 991).

Old 06-07-2012, 02:08 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
I don't quite get this one - what is the point ?

Rainier
suck some more blood before Turbo comes out. it's Porsche.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:11 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 20C4S
I'm German (living in South Africa). I like Porsche. I want to believe this is not the case. I'm having a hard time though, I admit...

Rainier

Old 06-07-2012, 02:13 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
I'm German (living in South Africa). I like Porsche. I want to believe this is not the case. I'm having a hard time though, I admit...

Rainier
i like it too. and i love u guys.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:30 AM
BTW, there are some interesting similarities between what you see in my avatar and the 991 I am patiently waiting for:

1) They are both white (just kidding).
2) They both have a boxer engine. 4 cylinders in the Sling, 6 in the 991.
3) They both have dry sump lubrication (external oil tank in the Sling).
4) The Sling does 0-60mph in roughly 4-5 seconds, similar to the 991.
5) The Sling has 100hp, the 991 has 400hp but power to weight is nearly identical.
6) Both can give you an immense thrill and kill you one second later - but both make you feel "alive".
7) Both have two seats.
8) Neither comes with a spare tire.

Some differences too:
1) The 991 is faster: Top speed ~310km/h, the aircraft tops out at ~230km/h straight and level.
2) The pilot does not worry about speed cops, the driver does...
3) The aircraft needs a runway at the destination, the car goes anywhere where there are roads...

So next time you get into your 911, do some pre-flight checks and report to the tower, "ready for takeoff".

Rainier
(OK, OK, I'll get back to work...)

Old 06-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Fwiw: The Powerkit for 997.1 was some 12k$. Reviewers stated it offered a smidgen more top end noticeable in upper gears. The main selling point was the exclusivity and the pretty carbon fiber airbox (big bucks). Given the lack of access to the 991 motor how they will match this remains to be seen. Carbon fiber engine shroud perhaps? Keep in mind it is an option which will have little residual value at resale time but may make it an easier sale. Or not. More top end is a joke here in my opinion. The torque of those rumored electric motors will make the kit moot. Have fun guys

Old 06-10-2012, 07:38 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 20C4S
Yes and No. a 991S with the Powerkit is still a fast 2WD car with a NA engine, which is totally different from a turbo. your reasoning is right for people who are just interested in more hp and more hp/$.
I personally love the NA engine and will work on it to squeeze out a bit more power in the future, but at this point, no interest in a 991TT. Maybe a 991 GT3...

Old 06-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Gpjli
The torque of those rumored electric motors will make the kit moot. Have fun guys
Agreed. Completely.
Even better - this obsoletes traditional 4 wheel drive.
It's very interesting from a technical point of view and by being able to apply as much (or as little) torque on either wheel as needed in an instant regardless of RPM - it may just open up a leap in performance. Since it's still got a real engine in the back - it's still a real car with real car noises.

I'm going to be happy with my 400hp. More than I can handle or need anyway. Perhaps one day I can revisit this...

Rainier

Old 06-12-2012, 09:40 AM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
amg offers a performance package that includes engine, brakes, limited slip, and some interior bits for under $10000. porsche is a little out of control with this one. maybe they just like to make the gt3 seem like a great deal

Old 06-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Elias74 can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by fcar348
amg offers a performance package that includes engine, brakes, limited slip, and some interior bits for under $10000. porsche is a little out of control with this one. maybe they just like to make the gt3 seem like a great deal
I completly agree with You.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:29 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Personally the 991S has all the power I need, but I'll still be curious if the kit is a bolt-on or requires engine modifications. Does anyone know in the 997, if adding the X51 meant swapping out or modding the engine?

It's also interesting in light of the cover story in Excellence this month, which described how TechArt decided to focus on exterior mods for the 991S since the OEM performance was already so efficient that to squeeze any performance gains out of it would be prohibitively expensive.
its techart, what else would they focus on, 2nd its excellence, what else wouldnthey say?

Old 06-12-2012, 12:49 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ttpopo
its techart, what else would they focus on, 2nd its excellence, what else wouldnthey say?
I'm not super familiar with Techart or the other German Tuners but Techart has definitely done performance kits in the past (e.g., 997.1 Turbo: sport air filter, new manifolds, Techart Turbo chargers, high performance intercoolers ECU upgrade etc.). I think there's a major market demand for tuners adding bolt-on 20-40 hp to 911's (or at least pretending to). Hence the huge performance mods market on the 997. So, I think it is meaningful that Techart didn't even give it a shot with the 991... at least yet.

Excellence -- I've seen them give both positive and negative reviews to tuners (such as RUF) and overall I find it to be a pretty objective magazine. Big fans for sure, but able to criticize Porsche or the aftermarket when they feel appropriate.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Airdoc will become famous soon enough
Bump

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Official 991 POWER UPGRADE KIT