DIY engine oil change - Porsche 911/991S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 02:54 PM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Yes, aren't they in the post right above yours: 8mm and 36mm?

Old 05-16-2013, 03:09 PM
SxxB will become famous soon enoughSxxB will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
Yes, aren't they in the post right above yours: 8mm and 36mm?
These are sizes not torque specs

Old 05-16-2013, 03:47 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SxxB

These are sizes not torque specs
The oil filter torque spec is embossed on the filter housing. I'd look but the car is at the dealer and I'm stuck with a panadrowser 4.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:51 AM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
Ok here are the Torque values:

Drain Plug: 37 ft-lbs

Filter Housing: 19 ft-lbs

Old 05-17-2013, 06:59 AM
SxxB will become famous soon enoughSxxB will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by kosmo69
Ok here are the Torque values:

Drain Plug: 37 ft-lbs

Filter Housing: 19 ft-lbs

Thank you. Exactly the same as in 997.1

Old 05-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Good thread - good info - like it!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-04-2013, 04:01 PM
dkim12 is on a distinguished road
does anyone know if you can pump the oil out from the top using a fluid evacuator considering the filter is also sitting on top of the engine? I've been pumping out oil from my mercedes for years without a single issue and it saves me from ramping up the car.

I did see that there is a washer underneath that needs replacement, but is that completely necessary?

Old 10-04-2013, 05:25 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
you can use a top extractor i think. not sure how many quarts you can remove

the crush washer is changed when plug is removed. i replace it every 2-3 oil changes. doing it more often is recommended but i found it unnecessary if you flip the washer.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:35 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
You have to drain it.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:14 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
Your mb has a dipstick?

I doubt it you can on the 991 due to the intergreted sump

Old 10-05-2013, 01:43 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Much appreciate the DIY, really do, but at 2k miles it's certainly not the time to change oil unless Porsche is off by 5x on their guidelines or maaaaaybe if you've been to the track a few times in that span.
I did (got it done) the same thing. No harm in getting it done post run in.

Op: great write up / photos. Thanks for posting!

Old 10-07-2013, 12:01 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by iambon
It is my bad habit, not only for my Porsche but I tend to change an engine oil after run-in period for every cars i have owned.
Yeah regardless of the 10k recommendation... A 3k or so isn't going to hurt especially if DIY and it isn't costing an arm and a leg.. Back in my engine building days, we liked to do an initial oil change on a new engine after 3k just because of all the assembly lube and other stuff floating around initially..

My thought however is that with 9 quarts in the system, there is a lot of oil to dilute any of the light oils and lube, if they even use any.. From some of the Porsche videos I've seen it looked pretty tidy when assembling the engines...

Old 10-07-2013, 01:27 PM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by C4SDreamin
How about opening the oil filler cap before draining? Won't oil spill out of the filter before anything has drained? You do say open the filter while draining, but this would be difficult if the car is up on a lift as pictured.
Just loosen it a quarter to half turn. Just enough to break the vacuum so the oil will drain freely instead glug, glug glug.....

Old 10-08-2013, 02:54 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Neil Mccauley
So on to how to reset the service indicator reminder when you hit 10k..
Durametric says their system is now finally able to do it with the latest version of their software.
Waiting for a report to that effect from anybody that has a Durametric cable before I'll splash out on one.

Rainier

Old 10-22-2013, 09:17 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
Found these instructions to reset oil light on 997...does it pertain to 991?

Experience?

!) Push inward on the trip ODO reset button- turn key to aux position (Forward one click from off) until the oil reset appears on the ODO screen
2) Press the odometer reset button a second time until the word "Reset" or "Re" appears on the screen. The word will continuously flash.
3) Press the odometer reset button quickly to complete the reset. "End SIA" appears to indicate a successful reset of the system.

Last edited by HotHonda; 10-22-2013 at 09:23 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY engine oil change - Porsche 911/991S