Finally Ordered my new 991 in Guards Red

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 07:30 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Congrats!! Great to have another 991 in DFW.

ChuckJ

Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Dallas991 is on a distinguished road
So now I am debating whether to add back the PCCB ceramic brakes with yellow calipers. I had originally added them when I configured the 991 with Basalt Black. But once I switched to guards red, my gut reaction was that the standard red calipers would look better.

Thoughts? I like the idea of the ceramics brakes (lighter, limited brake dust, higher heat tolerance) and can afford them, but would the red calipers look better on the guards red with standard carrera s wheels?

Old 09-03-2012, 09:43 AM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
I think the Red would look better. Yellow, together with Red makes me think of McDonalds. You could have the Calipers repainted if you really want Carbon Ceramics.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
Lots of red 360/430 Ferrari's have yellow calipers, no problem that I see with them.

IMO,....any exterior color with those huge PCCB brakes looks fine. You just have to make sure and justify the cost. I do like them for all the points you mentioned, but they still are a bunch of money that hardly offers any financial returns later,...if that even bothers you.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
If you can drive one with and one without. I think you will find that you won't be without. Huge difference in feel and ride. Feels like the car looses a lot of weight which it does. 40lb of un-sprung feels like loosing a couple of hundred and the ride is better.

I dive the CA mountain passes and find that I can accelerate into a turn, down hill, and break into the turn. As the heat rises, they just get better..... No smell no fade. Like magic.

If the color is an issue have your S done in yellow by Bumperplugs. Yellow looks great on Red.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:02 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Dallas991
So now I am debating whether to add back the PCCB ceramic brakes with yellow calipers. I had originally added them when I configured the 991 with Basalt Black. But once I switched to guards red, my gut reaction was that the standard red calipers would look better.

Thoughts? I like the idea of the ceramics brakes (lighter, limited brake dust, higher heat tolerance) and can afford them, but would the red calipers look better on the guards red with standard carrera s wheels?
It appears your budget is not very limited, so I ask whether you have considered waiting for the 991 turbo (probably under a year away at this point)? It may be well worth it.

But if going with a guards red S I would probably stick with the steel brakes for the matching calipers.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by aamersa
It appears your budget is not very limited, so I ask whether you have considered waiting for the 991 turbo (probably under a year away at this point)? It may be well worth it.

But if going with a guards red S I would probably stick with the steel brakes for the matching calipers.
Thanks. Turbo feels like a whole different world. And I actually prefer the naturally aspirated engines (coming from M3) and don't like the big, fixed spoiler.

I think I am going to just stick with the standard S brakes for now. I could always upgrade later to some Brembo ceramics if I get the itch.

So last question - given I prefer the styling of the Carrera S over the Turbo, should I consider the newly announced Power Kit?

Old 09-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Havok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of light
I have my guards red 911 carrera S coming mid october, with the sport design package, and a ton of other options.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:30 PM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
[QUOTE=Z356;3630764]Coming...hopefully very soon! Black/Luxor Beige (Sand is the old 997 color). But you don't want it to look like the 991 Cabriolet pictured below!

yuk... that looks real ugly. you got good point

Old 09-03-2012, 03:35 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Dallas991
Thanks. Turbo feels like a whole different world. And I actually prefer the naturally aspirated engines (coming from M3) and don't like the big, fixed spoiler.

I think I am going to just stick with the standard S brakes for now. I could always upgrade later to some Brembo ceramics if I get the itch.

So last question - given I prefer the styling of the Carrera S over the Turbo, should I consider the newly announced Power Kit?
Sure, if you can afford it, by all means get the powerkit. It includes sport chrono and sport exhaust which are almost must have options in my opinion. The extra power won't be a massive difference, but it will be noticeable.

BTW, great color choice. Pics rarely do full justice to guards red, it looks even better in real life.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Made my final changes: Added the Power Kit (which includes the Sports Exhaust and Chrono Package) and removed the Ceramic Brakes. I figure I can always add the ceramic brakes later (Brembo) if I feel I need them. I went with the Power Kit over just waiting for the 991 Turbo because I prefer no fixed spoiler and coming from an M3 love naturally aspirated engines.

Here is the final 991 S Coupe configuration:

Guards Red Exterior
Black/Platinum Grey Leather Interior (was going to go with Luxor Beige but I was worried about dash glare and I prefer a black steering wheel).
Burmester Audio
Premium Package Plus with Adaptive Sports Seats Plus
Park Assist (Front and Rear)
Sunroof
Electric folding mirrors
Model Designation "911"
PDCC with PASM
PDK
Exclusive Power Kit (which includes the Sport Chrono Package + Sports Exhaust System)
Carrera S Wheel (this wheel most closely resemble my M3's competition package wheels)
Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest
Wheel Spacers, 5mm
Multi-function steering wheel
Two-tone leather interior
Porsche Crests on Headrests
Door sill guards in stainless steel, illuminated
Key painted exterior color

Only six more weeks until build (assuming no delays now that I've added the Power Kit...)

And hopefully four weeks to ship to Dallas...

Old 09-04-2012, 04:34 PM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
Check out the TechArt paddle shifter conversion. Nice to have for the MF steering wheel.

J

Old 09-10-2012, 10:06 AM
After seeing a Guards Red Carrera 991 S Coupe in person this weekend, I went back to the color drawing board. I love the red. But it is a lot of red, particularly on the backside. And when I see used Red Carreras at the dealership, the paint looks tired and doesn't have the shine of metallics when it ages.

So, I've switched my order to GT Silver Metallic. I still also love Basalt Black, but am really worried about maintaining it. I am OCD about cleaning it every week, but my last black car still ended up with swirl marks and noticeable scratches. While there is still a chance of a change, here is my updated build as of this AM :-) :

GT Silver Metallic Exterior
Black Full Leather Interior (I would go with Black/Platinum if I choose Basalt Black, but for Silver, all black feels "classic").
Burmester Audio
Premium Package Plus with Adaptive Sports Seats Plus
Park Assist (Front and Rear)
Sunroof
Electric folding mirrors
Model Designation "911"
PDCC with PASM
PDK
Exclusive Power Kit (which includes the Sport Chrono Package + Sports Exhaust System)
Carrera S Wheel (this wheel most closely resemble my M3's competition package wheels)
Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest
Wheel Spacers, 5mm
Multi-function steering wheel
Porsche Crests on Headrests
Door sill guards in stainless steel, illuminated
Key painted exterior color

Still looking at 10/18 build date, so at some point my order will be locked down :-)

Old 09-10-2012, 10:07 AM
And here is a picture of what it should look like (referenced from another forum entry).

Old 09-10-2012, 11:32 AM
SoCalRick is on a distinguished road
You may want to drop the "Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest". I think the standard silver center caps (as shown in the picture you posted) look better on a silver car. Especially after you swap out the amber side markers for clear ones.

-SCR

Last edited by SoCalRick; 09-10-2012 at 11:35 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally Ordered my new 991 in Guards Red