Forget 991 get 961!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by BrandonH
In what regard?

Although not available yet (just like the 918) performance wise the new P1 will destroy it.....and its pretty certain the F70 will as well.

I too think its fantastic they gave it the green light.
Well there is just no other car like it. The Prius may come close in terms of concept, but it just isn't as fast..

No seriously, there are not any other hybrid hypercars out there. Or supercars. Or even sportscars.

And even though the Porsche is insanely fast, the P1 and F70 will probably have 200-300hp more and definately weigh a lot less, so yes they will be faster. But they won't be hybrids.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:28 AM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Zlaatan
Well there is just no other car like it. The Prius may come close in terms of concept, but it just isn't as fast..

No seriously, there are not any other hybrid hypercars out there. Or supercars. Or even sportscars.

And even though the Porsche is insanely fast, the P1 and F70 will probably have 200-300hp more and definately weigh a lot less, so yes they will be faster. But they won't be hybrids.
I see your point about being the only true hybrid....however its said that one charge will only last 1 lap around the Nurburgring....and how long would it last under "normal" driving conditions?

But more importantly maybe is how many people with the ability to afford such a car really care about that? I know I wouldn't....if I spend a $million on a super car I want a NA beast that I can hear and feel.....not a silent, economically correct, coal burner.....and these owners surely wont be worried about their MPG cost.

This will be an exciting vehicle none the less.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
Well it's not made to only drive on battery power, it's there to make extra power with the combustions engine and to help with emissions, fuel milege and all that.
It's there to show that a hypercar can be a hybrid I guess.

But yea I agree, I wish they would've only made a concept car and then gone and made a true production CGT replacement without the hybrid tech. Imagine the 918 weighing 700pounds less and still having 800hp from an all new V10!

Especially since this might be the last shot the car makers have to produce a real monster with a thirsty, big engine. In ten years time when, hopefully, the replacement is due, who knows what kind of enviromental and legal rules the politicians have put in place..

Old 11-06-2012, 03:41 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Zlaatan
Imagine the 918 weighing 700pounds less and still having 800hp from an all new V10!
Funny you mention this....some very credible sources say "there will be a MUCH lighter version coming soon and it will be wicked fast"

Old 11-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Please let that be true!!!

It is said that the 918 without the hybrid components is about 100kg lighter than the CGT.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:31 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
So Porsche plans on selling a car for $400M to compete with a car with a $229M MSRP? How's that going to work out for them?

Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 AM
G997 is on a distinguished road
Porsche should take everyone by surprise and come out at $199M
That would kick Ferrari in the gut big time....

Old 11-07-2012, 07:50 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by G997
Porsche should take everyone by surprise and come out at $199M
That would kick Ferrari in the gut big time....
As much as I agree with you, it would completely wipe out all GT2 sales...

Now - if they stop producing the GT2, and just add all that power to the Turbo, with a C2S drivetrain, and slightly adjusted price, that could save a LOT of money, while not stepping on their own sales.

But I agree completely; $199k would obliterate sales of Ferrari and McLaren simultaneously. Porsche can use some of its profits from Boxster/Cayenne market, and distribute that to minimize the profit margin on the 961. The issue I see, is that CF monocoque (and other stuff) is not going to be cheap.

We can dream, though...

Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
YOU Decide:

$400M MSRP for a 2013 961:

$229M MSRP for a 458 (I know you can't buy one for sticker, but it came out in 2010 and look at the lines)

Does the 961 look more like a 1999 Modena 360 than a 458 to anyone other than me?

Even at 1/2 the price of $199M, I'm not drinking the Kool Aid!

Old 11-07-2012, 09:59 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Hard to say till we have a better sense of what the production care look like, and the price point for the US market. In general, I like to think most buyers are loyal/bias to a specific brand. Currently, there is no product that compete head to head between the two brand, right? GT2RS vs 458?

Old 11-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by mdc
Hard to say till we have a better sense of what the production care look like, and the price point for the US market. In general, I like to think most buyers are loyal/bias to a specific brand. Currently, there is no product that compete head to head between the two brand, right? GT2RS vs 458?
Yes and I like to think one of the differentiating factors will be a more bullet proof, lower maintenance, performance car that can be driven on the track aggressively and driven daily for 200,000 miles and keep on ticking. Ferrari's don't fit that bill. Give me a rep if you agree with that!

Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
Yes and I like to think one of the differentiating factors will be a more bullet proof, lower maintenance, performance car that can be driven on the track aggressively and driven daily for 200,000 miles and keep on ticking. Ferrari's don't fit that bill. Give me a rep if you agree with that!
Aside from the one that caught on fire and burned to the ground ; D, 458 might fit that bill. OK, maybe low maintenance for all 200k miles is... But it is still too early to tell.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by mdc
Aside from the one that caught on fire and burned to the ground ; D, 458 might fit that bill. OK, maybe low maintenance for all 200k miles is... But it is still too early to tell.
My thought it is the Porsche that has all those positive characteristics. I've looked at 550 Maranellos and a 15 year old car will typically only have 15,000 miles on it. There is a reason for that, the owners are scared to drive the damn things and want to preserve the value. Not driving them doesn't seem to have done much for preserving value, because they MSRP'd for $222M and are selling in the $60M's. Still a hell of a lot of car for the money.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
I've looked at 550 Maranellos and a 15 year old car will typically only have 15,000 miles on it. There is a reason for that, the owners are scared to drive the damn things and want to preserve the value. Not driving them doesn't seem to have done much for preserving value, because they MSRP'd for $222M and are selling in the $60M's. Still a hell of a lot of car for the money.
Only partially true on the mileage thing....theres a great deal of Ferrari owners that just simply enjoying having them and looking at them...and like having them as part of their "collection".

Then you have a another group that has a garage full of exotics and can only put so many miles on each car each year because that mileage is spread out over multiple vehicles....not because they are afraid to drive them.

Ferrari's hold there value better than any other modern day vehicle....by quite a margin.

It seems we are all in agreement that undoubtedly the Porsche comes with a much lower maintenance cost and higher reliability.

Jasper brings up a great point in regards to the GT versions and 918....if they price and position this car correctly it will definitely be a home run.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by BrandonH
Only partially true on the mileage thing....theres a great deal of Ferrari owners that just simply enjoying having them and looking at them...and like having them as part of their "collection".

Then you have a another group that has a garage full of exotics and can only put so many miles on each car each year because that mileage is spread out over multiple vehicles....not because they are afraid to drive them.

Ferrari's hold there value better than any other modern day vehicle....by quite a margin.

It seems we are all in agreement that undoubtedly the Porsche comes with a much lower maintenance cost and higher reliability.

Jasper brings up a great point in regards to the GT versions and 918....if they price and position this car correctly it will definitely be a home run.
Only partially right on the holding the value .

estimated:
1997 550 Maranello MSRP $222M current value $70M, (-68.5%)
1997 911 Turbo MSRP $105M current value $60M (-$42.8%)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Forget 991 get 961!