Forget 991 get 961!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 12:32 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Forget 991 get 961!

Porsche has decided to compete with ferrari italia amd mclaren. It is now confirmed. This is the car to get if you have north of $300k sitting around.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche...-961-confirmed

Old 11-01-2012, 01:02 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by aamersa
Porsche has decided to compete with ferrari italia amd mclaren. It is now confirmed. This is the car to get if you have north of $300k sitting around.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche...-961-confirmed
Competition is always a good thing for us. I think the emotional experience you get in a Ferrari will be always be different from a Porsche even if the data of the two are identical on paper. Don't shoot me here, just different, not better or worst - ha ha ha

Old 11-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
I hope they keep it close to the rendered pic shown. I cetainly like the looks of it.

ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 11-01-2012, 03:16 PM
flyanddive will become famous soon enoughflyanddive will become famous soon enough
Why not just make a Cayman with a GT3, turbo, or GT2 engine, and change the bumpers and spoiler a little? Then you have your Ferrari killer, and it could be out in less than a year.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:16 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
More info....

Porsche's CEO Matthias Müller has finally confirmed that a new mid-engine supercar is on the way. Having been a long time rumor, this new model has been in talks of being called the 961. Power is thought to come from the 918's new V8 but turbocharged producing 600bhp. In combination with lightweight carbon and aluminum body and structure, it could give the car a 0-60mph time around 3 seconds and top speed of 220mph. The new coupe will fall between the GT2 and 918 Spyder. It will be direct competition to the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta and Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4. Pricing is thought to be around €300,000 ($392,126 US) and €400,000 ($522,835 US).It is believed to reach the market in 2014.

Attached Images   
Old 11-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
I've gotta say...it's one nice looking car...but, I like 991 4S better...911 is the legend, stays a legend

Old 11-02-2012, 05:52 AM
TOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really nice
i love porsche but at that price point it has to be really special to beat a Ferrari 458.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Zeus has a spectacular aura aboutZeus has a spectacular aura about
I would love to see a car slotted between the GT2RS and the 918, but...

I guess I just don't get where Porsche is going to fit this car into their performance ladder. The "old" 997 GT2RS would have easily been faster around any racetrack that the current 458 and MP4-12C if it was equiped with a PDK. Porsche's claim at 0-60 times (who cares) of 3.3 seconds for a 500K dollar perfomance car doesn't even match a 997 Turbos S at 2.7.

If you take this information at face value only, unless the 961 is 100+ Kilos lighter than the 991 GT2RS - if there is one, as well as the rest of the competition ( 458 "Scud" & MP4-XXX") there is no way 570bhp is going to be enough of a threat to its competitors. Is it going to need turbos to get 600 bhp out of it?

And why would anyone buy a 918 at nearly 3 times the price? They kinda look the same too...and for a half-million after some nice options...does it really look like a half-million dollar car?

A 991 GT2RS with PDK and a possible 600+bhp - if there is one, will have to be "slowed" in order to not outright destroy the 961 & 918 on any racetrack.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:03 AM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TOPorschefan
i love porsche but at that price point it has to be really special to beat a Ferrari 458.
Agreed....IMO they should price this car slightly below the 458 at around 230-250 if possible....if it ends up looking similar to the 918 with super car looks, runs low 3 second 0-60 and is priced below the 458 and MP4-12C I would bet they have much higher sales than trying to compete with an F12.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:14 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdc
Competition is always a good thing for us. I think the emotional experience you get in a Ferrari will be always be different from a Porsche even if the data of the two are identical on paper. Don't shoot me here, just different, not better or worst - ha ha ha
Disagree...

It may be that way for SOME, it is not a fact.

Some may prefer the Porsche for reasons x, y, and z; while others would choose the Ferrari for reasons a, b, and c.

I agree with the first part - competition is always good for the consumer. But in this world, where 8 yr olds can 'test drive' new or concept cars for a decade, before they enter the working community, it is never too early to plant seeds that may grow into an entire generation of fans that can afford them (see: GT-R for reference).

Old 11-02-2012, 08:15 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BrandonH
Agreed....IMO they should price this car slightly below the 458 at around 230-250 if possible....if it ends up looking similar to the 918 with super car looks, runs low 3 second 0-60 and is priced below the 458 and MP4-12C I would bet they have much higher sales than trying to compete with an F12.
Agree, 100%.

But, then, who would buy a 918?

I mean, I've been on the devil's side of the Turbo Cayman argument for the last 5 years or so. Love the platform - in all trim levels. But the argument is valid... If the Cayman came in AWD Turbo, wouldn't that step all over 911 sales?

Old 11-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Agree, 100%.

But, then, who would buy a 918?

I mean, I've been on the devil's side of the Turbo Cayman argument for the last 5 years or so. Love the platform - in all trim levels. But the argument is valid... If the Cayman came in AWD Turbo, wouldn't that step all over 911 sales?
Don't think so. 911 is a bigger car with 2 extra seats.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Fester
Don't think so. 911 is a bigger car with 2 extra seats.
Some have them (regarding GT variants).

Agreed, but those who would buy a 911 over a Cayman because of the so-useful back seats are a minority (one of which I'm in).

If the Cayman came with AWD and turbo, it would officially be my next car.

And Porsche would have a legitimate R8V10 DCT competitor (I don't see the Turbo as a direct comparison, as the feeling of the two cars are quite different). When I drove the R8, the movement of the car (weight transfer, whatever you want to call it), compared DIRECTLY to the Cayman S. Both were so wonderful, I wanted each of them, right then. I don't experience this in a 911 for some reason (personal preference? Not sure).

Old 11-02-2012, 09:31 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
so is this 200k or 300k? confused.......

Old 11-02-2012, 09:57 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TOPorschefan
If the projected price range is accurate, it is not going after the 458. They will probably come out with another variation of that to line up with 458. ; D. Dealer will need to build larger lot to accommodate all the additional variations of Panarama, Cayenne...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Forget 991 get 961!