Forget 991 get 961!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 10:00 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zeus
I would love to see a car slotted between the GT2RS and the 918, but...

I guess I just don't get where Porsche is going to fit this car into their performance ladder. The "old" 997 GT2RS would have easily been faster around any racetrack that the current 458 and MP4-12C if it was equiped with a PDK. Porsche's claim at 0-60 times (who cares) of 3.3 seconds for a 500K dollar perfomance car doesn't even match a 997 Turbos S at 2.7.

If you take this information at face value only, unless the 961 is 100+ Kilos lighter than the 991 GT2RS - if there is one, as well as the rest of the competition ( 458 "Scud" & MP4-XXX") there is no way 570bhp is going to be enough of a threat to its competitors. Is it going to need turbos to get 600 bhp out of it?

And why would anyone buy a 918 at nearly 3 times the price? They kinda look the same too...and for a half-million after some nice options...does it really look like a half-million dollar car?

A 991 GT2RS with PDK and a possible 600+bhp - if there is one, will have to be "slowed" in order to not outright destroy the 961 & 918 on any racetrack.
I don't know how I missed this post.

(maybe I was too busy being angry at something here in my real world)

Well said...

Old 11-02-2012, 10:12 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by djantlive
so is this 200k or 300k? confused.......
400k base not including full leather and metallic paint. And at least 150k of options available to pick from ; D

Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdc
... And at least 150k of options available to pick from ; D
This is the killer. Please tell me you're joking.

Trying to pick this up on secondary market would be annoying as hell... (Or trying to sell it, trying to justify all of the options selected)

Old 11-02-2012, 10:23 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
This is the killer. Please tell me you're joking.

Trying to pick this up on secondary market would be annoying as hell... (Or trying to sell it, trying to justify all of the options selected)
; D. I have no idea about the price other than what I read here and online. It is all over the map. But I might be close on the options... ask Fester, he should know based on his 4S order

Old 11-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future

I guess I just don't get where Porsche is going to fit this car into their performance ladder. The "old" 997 GT2RS would have easily been faster around any racetrack that the current 458 and MP4-12C if it was equiped with a PDK. Porsche's claim at 0-60 times (who cares) of 3.3 seconds for a 500K dollar perfomance car doesn't even match a 997 Turbos S at 2.7.

If you take this information at face value only, unless the 961 is 100+ Kilos lighter than the 991 GT2RS - if there is one, as well as the rest of the competition ( 458 "Scud" & MP4-XXX") there is no way 570bhp is going to be enough of a threat to its competitors. Is it going to need turbos to get 600 bhp out of it?

And why would anyone buy a 918 at nearly 3 times the price? They kinda look the same too...and for a half-million after some nice options...does it really look like a half-million dollar car?

A 991 GT2RS with PDK and a possible 600+bhp - if there is one, will have to be "slowed" in order to not outright destroy the 961 & 918 on any racetrack.
All of this is only speculation, I think Porsche will find a way to slot it in at the correct price and performance point. We don't know if it will be $230k or $450k so it's not worth discussing.

IMO the 918 isn't all about performance, it's a car for the future, a techno showcase if you will, to what the coming cars from Porsche will be like. If they went for all out speed, they wouldn't have stuffed it with x00 kilos of hybrid stuff. IMO the 918 does not have any competition at all at the moment. Not from Porsche or anyone else.

And why would a 991 GT2 RS have to be faster than the 961?
It will be faster than the current 918 time which is 7.18, same as the 997 GT2RS. Even though Porsche has said the 918 will be faster than that when complete, who knows if the 991 will still be faster.

I wouldn't have a problem if they were equally fast all three. They will most certainly be three very different cars. One hardcore racer, one hybrid monster and one upscale (sorry 911 fans ) supercar.

I think it's fantastic news that they gave this the green light though!!

If only BMW would build their new M1 as well..

Old 11-02-2012, 09:56 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Zlaatan
IMO the 918 does not have any competition at all at the moment. Not from Porsche or anyone else.
In what regard?

Although not available yet (just like the 918) performance wise the new P1 will destroy it.....and its pretty certain the F70 will as well.

I too think its fantastic they gave it the green light.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:05 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdc
; D. I have no idea about the price other than what I read here and online. It is all over the map. But I might be close on the options... ask Fester, he should know based on his 4S order
...so true...Porsche milks it's customers when it comes to options...I'm one of those victims...

Last edited by Fester; 11-03-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:54 AM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
I agree. At a price point of 250k, I am in and would put a deposit down TODAY for one of the first. However, if the price conversion is correct, and it is truly around 500k, no freaking way!

I can see the comparison and competition to the 458 Berlinetta or Spyder, but not the F12.

Just my $0.02...

J

Old 11-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Edward1212 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TOPorschefan
i love porsche but at that price point it has to be really special to beat a Ferrari 458.
I don't know about that. A lot of people don't like Ferrari NA and they way they operate their dealerships. There is a lot of preferential treatment to long time customers... so if you're new you may have to wait up to 2 years to get a car. In addition to that, you have to buy from the dealership nearest you, you aren't allowed to cross shop in other states, so if your local dealer gives you a 2-year waitlist, thats all you get. Its to help them keep resale high by pushing the used car market.

So yeah, if Porsche offers a similar car, at a similar price without all the bull**** of Ferrari NA, then yes they will get quite a few customers.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:08 PM
TOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really nice
I have heard horror stories about Ferrari dealerships but I had quite the opposite experience in Toronto. I absolutely love the 458 so I popped into the downtown location and found the salesperson was quite friendly and helpful. He mentioned that there was not much of a waiting list for the 458 and it could be had within a couple of mos from order. For other Ferrari models that might not be the case. If you compare production numbers of a ferrari to a porsche it is understandable the wait could be longer. Well healthy competition never hurts. I guess time will tell.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Edward1212 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TOPorschefan
I have heard horror stories about Ferrari dealerships but I had quite the opposite experience in Toronto. I absolutely love the 458 so I popped into the downtown location and found the salesperson was quite friendly and helpful. He mentioned that there was not much of a waiting list for the 458 and it could be had within a couple of mos from order. For other Ferrari models that might not be the case. If you compare production numbers of a ferrari to a porsche it is understandable the wait could be longer. Well healthy competition never hurts. I guess time will tell.
Yeah some areas are better than others. In a high demand market, its not uncommon to have to wait 2+ years to get a car. A lot of people have 2nd homes in another state and buy their cars at those dealerships (you need to prove you live in state before they sell to you) then ship it to their other home after purchase. Its an annoying system... hope the 961 is a 8cyl NA, porsche has the best sounding engines of them all imo.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:29 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
"Porsche CEO Confirms 961 Supercar"

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar137344.html

Old 11-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by BrandonH
"Porsche CEO Confirms 961 Supercar"

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar137344.html
This is WONDERFUL news. We all know this car is going to be special.

That said, the only thing wrong with this price point, is that the GT2 is already too good. I mean, what happens when the 991 Turbo S (driver friendly), and the GT2 (borderline crazy already, before the insane RS) come out?

We're talking about crazy track cars, with very capable handling, a backseat, 0-60 in 2 secs, etc...

Low numbers and good looks only go so far...

Old 11-05-2012, 11:15 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute

The cars Porsche is going after are not about "numbers". They are true exotics with exquisite sounds, styling and details. As fast as a 1200hp 996/997tt/Gt2 may be, its NOTHING compared to a 500HP Zonda.

I think the 961 is an awesome idea. Porsche has pillaged their brand so badly that the name really has lost some of its exotica. This will do a lot to bring the old Porsche vs Ferrari rivalry back!

Old 11-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Elias74 can only hope to improve
961...Not so bad...Not so PORSCHE.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Forget 991 get 961!