porsche 991 problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:05 AM
hed
hed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 19hole
This is VERY common with high performance tire compounds when they get cold. It is not limited to P Zeros, all brands do this. It will go away when the temps get back above 45°-50°F or you put winter tires on.

There is nothing wrong here....

Everyone keeps talking about this being a cold temp issue. However I get the exact thing when it's 50 (or warmer) outside as well, which it is a lot of the time in my state. The other night I was leaving from work and it was 55 out and this happened. I think it's the EPS in conjunction with the tires.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:01 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I'm beginning to get a small backfire through the intake manifold during the gearshift from 1st to 2nd using the PDK (especially when not fully warmed up). Is anyone else having that issue? It also is not idling at the incredibly smooth as it did when it was new. I always use Shell 93.

ChuckJ

Old 01-21-2013, 01:16 PM
SpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by hed
Everyone keeps talking about this being a cold temp issue. However I get the exact thing when it's 50 (or warmer) outside as well, which it is a lot of the time in my state. The other night I was leaving from work and it was 55 out and this happened. I think it's the EPS in conjunction with the tires.
In my experience it is a "sticky/HP tire" issue that is exacerbated by colder weather and how worn the tires are! I noticed this first on my 996 when I had track tires (Pilot Sport Cups). When I changed to all weather street tires (Michelin PS2 for example), this problem went away for me.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:10 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SpeeddemonC2
In my experience it is a "sticky/HP tire" issue that is exacerbated by colder weather and how worn the tires are! I noticed this first on my 996 when I had track tires (Pilot Sport Cups). When I changed to all weather street tires (Michelin PS2 for example), this problem went away for me.
Used to happen to me with my Corvette C6, 2007 911 and 2009 911 so I don't think it's the electric steering. It happens worse when it's cold, but you're right on the right surfaces it happens when it's warm also. I noticed it happens more after the tires get a little age on them.

ChuckJ

Old 01-21-2013, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I'm beginning to get a small backfire through the intake manifold during the gearshift from 1st to 2nd using the PDK (especially when not fully warmed up). Is anyone else having that issue? It also is not idling at the incredibly smooth as it did when it was new. I always use Shell 93.

ChuckJ
Just took it over to Boardwalk and the best Tech (supervisor) I've ever known rode with me and thinks it's a suspension issue. They have a multi-microphone device that they will set up on the car and narrow the issue down as soon as they get a loaner.

I also asked him about the RPM going to 3500 when taking off quickly and he confirmed that's the clutches holding off full grip to get increased HP and torque.

ChuckJ

Old 01-21-2013, 06:47 PM
skinzy is on a distinguished road
Tires...mine does the same on a tight turn. Normal

Old 03-15-2013, 09:15 PM
lenso01 is on a distinguished road
yes i have same problem . It does skip same way on launch control when activated. bothers.