door sill dimensions and ease of entry/exit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 03:49 PM
rcyphermd is on a distinguished road
door sill dimensions and ease of entry/exit

I have a 997 turbo. I sat in the new 991 at the Detroit auto show. I found it a bit harder to exit and enter the car than my 2008. The door sill seemed wider/higher. Does anyone know if that is the case, or am I just getting old?

Old 01-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
i find it harder as well. i scrape the door sills with my shoes a lot more. i think the seats are lower to the ground but never checked.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rcyphermd
I have a 997 turbo. I sat in the new 991 at the Detroit auto show. I found it a bit harder to exit and enter the car than my 2008. The door sill seemed wider/higher. Does anyone know if that is the case, or am I just getting old?
hmmm... I was under the impression that I was getting old. I keep making strange nose while trying to get out of the car, it really does help getting rid of gas.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
It's because the sill is indeed wider but also because they dropped the roof by 1" making the door opening lower.

Originally Posted by mdc
hmmm... I was under the impression that I was getting old. I keep making strange nose while trying to get out of the car, it really does help getting rid of gas.
Remind me of that if I ever end up getting a ride from ya!

Last edited by Psycho Sid; 01-30-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:51 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
It's because the sill is indeed wider but also because they dropped the roof by 1" making the door opening lower.
Remind me of that if I ever end up getting a ride from ya!
I will, it only happen when getting out of the car, not much of an issue. If I do that getting in, I think my wife and children would have left me. Or I might have to go back to driving sedan or SUV... wait a minute here, this only happen to me???

But seriously, I do find it harder to get out of our sport cars. My wife taught me this trick, she pushed her chair all the way back before she exit. This is critical because it help prevent us from denting the other car. Nothing like putting a dent in your car in your own garage...

Old 01-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdc
I will, it only happen when getting out of the car, not much of an issue. If I do that getting in, I think my wife and children would have left me. Or I might have to go back to driving sedan or SUV... wait a minute here, this only happen to me???

But seriously, I do find it harder to get out of our sport cars. My wife taught me this trick, she pushed her chair all the way back before she exit. This is critical because it help prevent us from denting the other car. Nothing like putting a dent in your car in your own garage...
Ya see that's when having a cab is real handy regarding both the spontaneous gases and easy of egress.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:11 PM
mdc
Ya see that's when having a cab is real handy regarding both the spontaneous gases and easy of egress.
Great point, I am sure the original OP find our input helpful

Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by mdc
Great point, I am sure the original OP find our input helpful
Hehehehe why does this always happen...
That said (gases not withstanding) it IS true that the 991's roof is 1" lower and therefore IS harder to get out of(ish).
OK I'm going to NOT add a gif of a voluptuous female getting out of a car...very slowwwly...
Damn grown @ss man acting like kids, always always joking around... yeezzz what's wrong with you hehehehe.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:45 PM
mdc
Hehehehe why does this always happen...
That said (gases not withstanding) it IS true that the 991's roof is 1" lower and therefore IS harder to get out of(ish).
OK I'm going to NOT add a gif of a voluptuous female getting out of a car...very slowwwly...
Damn grown @ss man acting like kids, always always joking around... yeezzz what's wrong with you hehehehe.
That is what happen when they let me out of my straitjacket to surf the net. . Life is short, a little laughter goes a long way.

I just hope I will be in decent health and can get in and out of sport car 20 years from now. If not, that is going to sucks. I tried the SLS a few times, it is quite a drama to get in and out. No dealer invite me back, you can guess why. Have not gone near an Aventador yet, I am sure it is worst.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by mdc
That is what happen when they let me out of my straitjacket to surf the net. . Life is short, a little laughter goes a long way.

I just hope I will be in decent health and can get in and out of sport car 20 years from now. If not, that is going to sucks. I tried the SLS a few times, it is quite a drama to get in and out. No dealer invite me back, you can guess why. Have not gone near an Aventador yet, I am sure it is worst.
I can guess why!

Truth be told all "competition" I looked at and test drove (extensively!) was much, much more difficult to get in and out.

I'm 44 and in pretty good shape (ahem... well at least before all my recent self inflicted health drama ) but I'm over 6'4" and 265 pounds... needles to say this bring with it it's own challenges egressing a sports car.

All of the Aston Martin range is horrendous... I mean it looks good but damn try to get in and out... and even a cab doesn't work because (in my case) my head was actually sticking above the top of the windscreen so the roof could not close.

Others like Ferrari, Lambo, Benz SLS (even in the cab because it has very, very short doors), etc. are so damn low you look ridiculous trying to get out... and that's before you park next to a curb LOL!

No the 991 is the best of the bunch the next ones are...
Bentley Continental
Ferrari California
Maserati GranTurismo-S
Audi R8

All but the last one are big/heavy GT cars and even the R8 is a "broadsword" compared to the nimble precision of 991 "scalpel".
Soooo in the end this (991)... is as good as it gets guys!